flyerblade

Re: Fedora ARM on Raspberry Pi

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:12 am

btw. If anyone comes up with an easy way to do the installation on a Mac, I'd be interested.

flyerblade

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:16 am

I think the faii-1.0.0.tar.gz version is missing a lib: PyQt4 or am I doing something wrong ?

Tass

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:44 am

flyerblade said:

I think the faii-1.0.0.tar.gz version is missing a lib: PyQt4 or am I doing something wrong ?

Worked fine for me.  13 files + a data folder:

steviewevie

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:54 am

Am I doing something wrong ?

After initially hitting the problem where it won"t work from a folder with spaces in its title, I moved the installer somewhere else, and this time it did present the image of F14 as an option for download.

But the "Device" button doesn"t show me anything, even though I have an SD card plugged into my PC (Windows XP). I presumed it would give me a list of options of devices to install it to ?

Edit – I tried three different SD cards, no luck. Windows can see the memory cards fine.

flyerblade

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:14 am

steviewevie, if it only says "Device" after pressing the refresh button next to it, it's highly likely it's just not running as administrator. I don't have an XP machine here. On Vista if you right click on the installer in Explorer and choose "Run as Administrator" (rather than just double-clicking the installer to run it) it works (for me).

Also check you're running it from an Admin account.

ArborealSeer

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:19 am

he's on XP, there is no UAC so no elevation stuff, however you're right about the admin thing
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

steviewevie

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:20 am

flyerblade said:

steviewevie, if it only says "Device" after pressing the refresh button next to it, it"s highly likely it"s just not running as administrator. I don"t have an XP machine here. On Vista if you right click on the installer in Explorer and choose "Run as Administrator" (rather than just double-clicking the installer to run it) it works (for me).

Also check you"re running it from an Admin account.

Thanks, but on XP there is no "Run as Administrator" option. My account (the only one on my PC) is Admin already. I'm confused. I'm sure it's going to be something simple though ! (a bit like my brain)

steviewevie

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:23 am

When I press that "refresh" button next to "Device", I even see the LED on my SD card reader flashing. But still nothing comes up as a device that I can pick.

I tried turning off my anti-virus software, but that made no difference.

I don't have another SD card reader I can try, but I can't see that's the problem, because Windows can see the card fine.

flyerblade

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:25 am

Hmmm. Can you run DiskPart (from the cmd line), then "LIST DISK" OK ?

ArborealSeer

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:25 am

Do you have an idea about answers to the following:

1) is the sd reader on the usb bus?

2) does it appear as a fixed or removable drive in windows?

(on the point of 2, not all disks and card readers show their drives as removable, some present themselves as fixed disks so if they're enumerating only removable, they'd get missed)
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

steviewevie

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:27 am

flyerblade said:

Hmmm. Can you run DiskPart (from the cmd line), then "LIST DISK" OK ?

Yes. It doesn't show the SD card, but it shows my hard drive.

ArborealSeer said:

Do you have an idea about answers to the following:

1) is the sd reader on the usb bus?

2) does it appear as a fixed or removable drive in windows?

(on the point of 2, not all disks and card readers show their drives as removable, some present themselves as fixed disks so if they're enumerating only removable, they'd get missed)

1) Yes.

2) Removeable.

flyerblade

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:38 am

Try inserting a USB stick if you have one handy and pressing refresh. Does that show up in the "Device" list ? (On my machine a 2Gb mem stick shows up like this: "Harddisk1 (2G)" in the devices list.).

This might help determine if it's an issue with the SD/card reader or a Windows issue (?)

Tass

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:42 am

Agree with the above posts.  I think the first step would be to confirm you can see it in DiskPart - if you can't see it there, it'll never work.  If you CAN see it there you might still have some other issues, but you're one step closer at least.

steviewevie

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:02 pm

Thanks. Tried a USB memory stick, it can't see that either. DiskPart can't see that either. Are you sure DiskPart sees removeable devices on XP ? Because my memory stick etc works fine, it's only the Fedora installer that can't see it.

Tass

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:05 pm

steviewevie said:

Thanks. Tried a USB memory stick, it can't see that either. DiskPart can't see that either. Are you sure DiskPart sees removeable devices on XP ? Because my memory stick etc works fine, it's only the Fedora installer that can't see it.

Well, from what I can see when the installer runs it actually uses DiskPart to get a list of devices to display to you.  It stands to reason (well, my reason anyway ) that if you get DiskPart working, everything else will fall into place.

steviewevie

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:07 pm

Tass said:

Well, from what I can see when the installer runs it actually uses DiskPart to get a list of devices to display to you.  It stands to reason (well, my reason anyway ) that if you get DiskPart working, everything else will fall into place.

ok, thanks for the info. Has anyone else got this working on XP, is it just me that's having a problem ?

The odd thing is that Windows has no problems with my USB devices, SD cards etc. Just the installer so far *confused*

flyerblade

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:08 pm

The plot thickens. I feel your pain. My partner has a work laptop with XP on it I think - when I can get my hands on it I'll try it on there and see if I can help more unless someone with XP can help quicker...

steviewevie

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:10 pm

A quick Google is suggesting to me that Diskpart (on XP at least) doesn't work with removeable devices. Still Googling …

Edit - yep, I'm pretty sure that's it. Diskpart doesn't use removeable devices in XP. It does in Vista/Windows 7.

So does this mean the installer won't work with XP ?

flyerblade

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:13 pm

Tass said:

flyerblade said:

Curious. On the Mac (using StuffIt Expander or Archive Utility) I just seem to get a single file "fedora-arm-installer"  plus a dir called data with the PNGs in :-S

Chris Tyler

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:45 pm

kghunt said:

Chris Tyler said:

kghunt said:

Will this distro have console over serial port enabled by default?

There is lots of mention of how to get to the serial console but will it be configured?

Thanks

Interesting question... this is one of the few ARM boards we haven't run serial console on!  The default console is via video, since that's expected to be the most common case, but it should be a simple edit to cmdline.txt in the first (vfat) partition to get serial console. (OTOH, running a serial console -- especially when you need to convert line levels -- seems like a lot of work when you can just ssh in to the board in most cases). Unlike some other boards where you need serial console to set boot parameters, it's not nearly as important on this device.

The only reason I mention it is I can see a scenario where I have my pi and just loaded a fresh install on it and I have no HDMI monitor nearby so I won't know the IP to SSH in. Maybe even better than serial console why not a virtual network interface with a static IP? There are some linux door access units I work with that have a virtual interface at 169.254.242.141 that is always there so you can access the device if you do not know its Current IP.

There are a couple of possible solutions that don't involve the serial console: (1) use a DHCP setup where you know the IP (i.e., you can view the DHCP logs, or have DHCP assign a known IP, or scan the assignable range for the host); or (2) mount the 2nd partition of the SD card and edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 to change the network configuration from DHCP to static.

Chris Tyler

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:51 pm

flyerblade said:

Yes, PyQt4 is an important dep. We can't bundle all the deps because the complete dep chain (i.e., everything that might be needed for installation, including everything that PyQt4 needs — Qt4, etc, recursively) can be over 100 packages deep.

This is one of the advantages of a package format: it's easy to specify the dependencies. If some folks have time to do up packages for other systems (.deb etc), or write some notes on using the code on other platforms, it would be very much appreciated.

flyerblade

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:55 pm

Tass said:

flyerblade said:

This looks remarkably like the Windows installer version, not the faii-1.0.0.tar.gz version to me.

flyerblade

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:58 pm

Thanks Chris, no problem.

RorschachUK

Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:03 pm

flyerblade said:

btw. If anyone comes up with an easy way to do the installation on a Mac, I"d be interested.

Yes - ignore the installers, none of them are for Mac.  Get instead the image file, by direct download or by torrent - since this still hasn't appeared on the Downloads page I had to grab it from one of the mirrors, here: http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/.....6-03-2012/

Once you've got the file raspberrypi-fedora-remix-14-r1.img.gz onto your Mac, you can move it to your desktop and doubleclick it to unzip it to the actual image file which is called raspberrypi-fedora-remix-14-r1.img.

Now open a command prompt.  We need to figure out which disk device at the BSD Unix level is our SD card.  So, with your SD card reader NOT inserted, type 'diskutil list' in the command prompt window, it'll probably list one or two disk entries and the partitions on it.  Now insert your SD card into your USB card reader and insert that into your Mac, and wait a few moments till the system's mounted the SD card and you can see it pop up as a drive.  In the command prompt window, type 'diskutil list' again - it should be obvious from comparing the two that there's a new entry, for me it was /dev/disk2 (because disk0 was my internal HD and disk1 was my external Firewire drive) - but, depending on your arrangement of disks, you ought to be able to tell which /dev/disk{n} is your SD card, it should also be reporting the right capacity for your SD card, say it's got an FDisk partition scheme and FAT32 partition.

So, having worked out which /dev/disk is your SD card (and for the remainder of this let's say it's /dev/disk2 like mine, but substitute your own correct disk number as determined above):

Type in the command prompt 'diskutil unmountdisk /dev/disk2'

- this unmounts the partition from OS X but still leaves the underlying BSD able to see the disk device.

Change directory to your desktop, where we're storing that disk image - type 'cd Desktop'.  You can check you're in the right directory and can see the disk image by typing 'ls' to list the directory contents - should see that raspberrypi-fedora-remix-14-r1.img file in amongst the other stuff from your desktop.

Now we're going to blast the contents of the image file onto the SD card.  This is pretty slow and doesn't look like it's doing anything, but don't worry.  Don't forget to substitute the right disk number, and type 'dd if=raspberrypi-fedora-remix-14-r1.img of=/dev/disk2'

Now wait several minutes for dd to finish.  If you need convincing that it's doing something, you can press Ctrl-T to cause it to spit out some text about how many bytes it's done so far.

When it eventually finishes, type 'sync' to make sure it's written everything, and then 'diskutil unmount /dev/disk2' to unmount the whole of the disk, and then unplug it and plug it in again.

This time when the disk mounts it should have a FAT32 partition with a kernel and some configuration files, and a big Linux partition ready for when you put it in a Raspberry Pi.  Job done!

flyerblade

Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:12 pm

RorschachUK, you're a star - thanks for that. Excellent

Slightly curious as to if it can be done in Disk Utility - Restore but it's not important. I suspect not as that seems to restore to an existing partition.

Return to “Pidora / Fedora”