Simon H

Re: Fedora ARM on Raspberry Pi

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:58 pm

Thanks Chris.

fshields

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:03 pm

Chris Tyler said:

The easiest way to install the Remix is to grab an the installer, written by Jon Chiappetta:

Fedora RPM: http://files.velocix.com/c1410.....noarch.rpm
Windows ZIP: http://files.velocix.com/c1410.....-1.0.0.zip
Other systems (Python script - packages for other platforms welcome): http://files.velocix.com/c1410.....0.0.tar.gz

Chris,

The link for the Windows ZIP listed in this forum is correct, however the link on the Raspberry Pi Fedora Remix Installation on Seneca's site is incorrect. Could you correct it please?

Chris Tyler

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:09 pm

Forrest Shields said:

Chris,
The link for the Windows ZIP listed in this forum is correct, however the link on the Raspberry Pi Fedora Remix Installation on Seneca's site is incorrect. Could you correct it please?

Thanks for spotting that Forrest! (Facepalm over copypasta fail).

...Fixed.

(Everyone: Feel free to directly edit the page if you spot stuff like this in the future -- it's a wiki

Simon H

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:13 pm

You need to "Run as Administrator" the installer by right clicking on fedora-arm-installer.exe or it starts windows Diskpart under the installer for some reason and doesn't show any disks.

That is under Windows 7!

Chris Tyler

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:20 pm

Simon H said:

You need to "Run as Administrator" the installer by right clicking on fedora-arm-installer.exe or it starts windows Diskpart under the installer for some reason and doesn"t show any disks.

That is under Windows 7!

Good point. Whether this is required or not seems to depend on the system policy, it's not needed on the lab machines we used for most of the testing here. Added a note to the wiki.

Simon H

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:35 pm

Mine is a standard win 7 Professional install but the virus checker (Kapersky) might have upped the security policy I guess.

Thanks to Chris & Team for the release and Installer, I now have a fully loaded card waiting for my piece of Pi.

fshields

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:35 pm

I've updated the elinux.org wiki on Raspberry Pi Distributions to include download links of the images for the Fedora 14 remix as well as Arch and Debian.

Dandapani

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:43 pm

Dandapani said:

Thanks  ;-)

===

ETA: snagged a copy and the installer. Running installer now.

mobeyduck

Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:05 pm

For people liking torrent, the .torrent file can be found here

http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/.....6-03-2012/

little note, Its a NL mirror doesn't mater for torrents but it does for complete downloads.

When Liz/[spoiler]the guy doing a great job managing the downloads[/spoiler] Liam Fraser, woke up there will be official direct links to all mirrors

ArborealSeer

Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:31 pm

Chris Tyler said:

Simon H said:

You need to "Run as Administrator" the installer by right clicking on fedora-arm-installer.exe or it starts windows Diskpart under the installer for some reason and doesn"t show any disks.

That is under Windows 7!

Good point. Whether this is required or not seems to depend on the system policy, it"s not needed on the lab machines we used for most of the testing here. Added a note to the wiki.

Yes that"ll depend on whether the lab guys turned off the UAC because it was annoying them!

To test for UAC elevation on vista and up you do.. whats described in the following : http://social.msdn.microsoft.c.....602ec561c/

If it fails the test you can use GetModuleFilename then get it to relaunch itself using ShellExecute with the "runas" verb – which"ll pop up the UAC prompt.

I"m in the midst of writing a very similar downloader/updater for a product at work right now myself and have done all this in the last few days.

btw can"t help setting up the card, even though my RPi"s ETA is six weeks off… liking how simple this is, but can i suggest one more bit of info about the target device is given – windows drive letter – just in case things go awry and someone is presented with something they don"t expect or have multiple card readers and can't tell them apart. windows users will only know by drive letter and not physical device id (it'll be findable via the setupdi* api's)

edit: just worked seemlessly on my win7 x64 vaio
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

Tass

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:01 pm

Superb installer - works (pretty much) seamlessly on my win7 machine.  Still downloading, but fingers crossed.

Two points:

1. Intially I was expecting a separate image, so had to re-read this thread several times before I realised the image would be automatically downloaded.

2. I initially extracted the installer into 'program files' - the installer had an issue with the space in the path, so place in a location without spaces.

Thanks Chris!

kghunt

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:03 pm

Will this distro have console over serial port enabled by default?

There is lots of mention of how to get to the serial console but will it be configured?

Thanks

fshields

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:13 pm

Tass said:

...the installer had an issue with the space in the path, so place in a location without spaces.

I am also confirming that the installer does not work properly from a path that contains spaces.  To fix this the creator of the installer would need to modify their scripts to place "double quotes" around all path names or path variables.  Then test the installer from a location that contains spaces in the path to ensure it all works.

Chris Tyler

Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:53 am

Forrest Shields said:

Tass said:

...the installer had an issue with the space in the path, so place in a location without spaces.

I am also confirming that the installer does not work properly from a path that contains spaces.

Thanks for the report, I've passed it along to Jon.

smuggly

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:13 am

Do you have to format the sd card to any special File system before running the exe? Thanks

Chris Tyler

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:26 am

smuggly said:

Do you have to format the sd card to any special File system before running the exe? Thanks

No, the image that's installed includes the partition table and the two partitions, already formatted -- any partitioning or formatting on the card will be overwritten.

(You can also download the image and dd it to the card).

smuggly

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:38 am

Thanks And Thank everyone for the hard work! I look forward to some interesting challenges when we get hardware in our hands.

Chris Tyler

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:51 am

kghunt said:

There is lots of mention of how to get to the serial console but will it be configured?

Thanks

Interesting question... this is one of the few ARM boards we haven't run serial console on!  The default console is via video, since that's expected to be the most common case, but it should be a simple edit to cmdline.txt in the first (vfat) partition to get serial console. (OTOH, running a serial console -- especially when you need to convert line levels -- seems like a lot of work when you can just ssh in to the board in most cases). Unlike some other boards where you need serial console to set boot parameters, it's not nearly as important on this device.

Chris Tyler

Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:20 am

So apparently I caught Liz off guard posting the installer links while the foundation folks were dealing with another issue. Watch for a front page post on the Fedora Remix with some more details tomorrow

cnxsoft

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:40 am

For those who want to try in QEMU, I've posted the instructions:

http://www.cnx-software.com/20.....x-in-qemu/

I've having the qemu network issue this time. I will try to find a workaround instead of simply disabling networking.

Edit: Oups... once you get to the login screen, the keyboard input does not work.

I'll look into it. The keyboard works when using the command line however.

steviewevie

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:16 am

Sorry if this the wrong place for this question, but are we really going to dicuss all Fedora Remix topics in a single thread ? Don"t we really need a separate sub-forum for each distro ? Or is that waiting for the new phpBB forms ?

Things will really kick off when the Raspis begin to ship, but even now with emulators and so forth I can imagine things ramping up.

P.S. Well done to Chris and the team at Seneca

grumpyoldgit

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:37 am

There are separate topics but they are all over the place. I've used the watch and subscribe functions to keep track of the ones I am interested in but, as you say, it is not ideal.

kghunt

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:42 am

Chris Tyler said:

kghunt said:

Thanks

Interesting question... this is one of the few ARM boards we haven't run serial console on!  The default console is via video, since that's expected to be the most common case, but it should be a simple edit to cmdline.txt in the first (vfat) partition to get serial console. (OTOH, running a serial console -- especially when you need to convert line levels -- seems like a lot of work when you can just ssh in to the board in most cases). Unlike some other boards where you need serial console to set boot parameters, it's not nearly as important on this device.

The only reason I mention it is I can see a scenario where I have my pi and just loaded a fresh install on it and I have no HDMI monitor nearby so I won't know the IP to SSH in. Maybe even better than serial console why not a virtual network interface with a static IP? There are some linux door access units I work with that have a virtual interface at 169.254.242.141 that is always there so you can access the device if you do not know its Current IP.

grumpyoldgit

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:56 am

If you load the image up in Qemu, or whatever, then make the changes you require, you can then copy the revised image to your SD card.

flyerblade

Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:56 am

Can I just say a big thanks to Chris Tyler, Jon Chiappetta and the whole team for this and in particular for making this such a pain-free process of installation. Keep up the great work, it's much appreciated.

Return to “Pidora / Fedora”