JayK

Debian for PC vs Pi

Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:05 pm

If I install Debian 7.1 on my PC will it be close enough to the version that the Pi runs to not have a lot of differences between them? I want to use my PC for learning and becoming familiar with the OS.

raspberrypiguy1

Re: Debian for PC vs Pi

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:07 pm

Personally, I do not know... However I wouldn't suggest it... Why don't you run Rasbian in a virtual machine? That's easiest!

The Raspberry Pi Guy
Matt, The Raspberry Pi Guy YouTube channel, author of Learn Robotics with Raspberry Pi, available now: http://mybook.to/raspirobots, Computer Science & Electronics Undergraduate at The University of Edinburgh

rpdom

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:23 pm

Yes. I run Debian 7.1 on my laptop, although I use the xfce4 desktop on it and no desktop on my Pi.

Many of the programs I write for my laptop and other computers using Debian will work without any change on my Pi. Some do need to be compiled for the Pi, but the source code is still the same for many things.

JayK

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:49 pm

Sorry for the slow reply. I've been really busy this week. Thanks for the answers. I am just getting started with the Pi and want to relearn Linux. I used to work for a computer company working on computers and had at one time learned Unix as part of my job. That's been a long time ago so I hope learning Linux brings back some of what I forgot about Unix. Looking forward to having with the Pi and the group.

Jay

Heater

Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:33 am

Sounds like a good idea to me. I run Debian on my PC, my laptop and some other ARM boards. The Pi gets Raspian of course, which is Debian optimized for the Pi.

The PC, and laptops use the KDE Plasma Desktop whilst most of the ARM boards are run without any GUI.

It's nice to have only one OS everywhere and not have to worry about all those little differences in package managers, configurations etc etc.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Return to “Debian”