popalsa

Raspberry Pi + Scratch for non computer users

Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:36 pm

I am trying to enquire if anyone has had experince working/ teaching children programming through the raspberry pi via scratch to kids who may have had very limited experience with computers. And may also not know english.

Anyone know of any resources I could use to help me out with this issue?
or maybe know of any other people/projects that have tried to tackle this issue?

phr0ze

Re: Raspberry Pi + Scratch for non computer users

Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:09 pm

Scratch is already simplified. I believe any of the existing materials will work for this class. If they don't know computers some basic mouse skills and terminology should be taught first.

PeterO

Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:07 am

popalsa wrote:I am trying to enquire if anyone has had experince working/ teaching children programming through the raspberry pi via scratch to kids who may have had very limited experience with computers. And may also not know english.

Anyone know of any resources I could use to help me out with this issue?
or maybe know of any other people/projects that have tried to tackle this issue?
Have you looked at Code Club ? They have Scratch resources for 7 - 11 year olds..
https://www.codeclubprojects.org/en-GB/resources/
International information also available (though seems to be mostly "coming soon")
https://www.codeclubworld.org/

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

soslug

Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:34 am

Hello MarcScott may I ask what happens when you access gpio server on via edit menu instead of as a broadcast when i tried it with broadcast ie

brooadcast gpioserveron

I can also confirm it worked for me.

When I tried by the method I described it stills does not additional as I turn on and off my gpio server via edit menu each time scratch will crash losing the work. Can you also confirm this.
IPFreely, to weed the network demons that dwell in them their Windows!

soslug

Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:57 am

soslug wrote:Hello MarcScott may I ask what happens when you access gpio server on via edit menu instead of as a broadcast when i tried it with broadcast ie

brooadcast gpioserveron

I can also confirm it worked for me.

When I tried by the method I described it stills does not additional as I turn on and off my gpio server via edit menu each time scratch will crash losing the work. Can you also confirm this.
That's interesting changing only the foo value to 15, I was able to turn on and off the attached LED without the
"broadcast config15out" but gpio14 remains on, this could be because I have not turned this off, prior to changing foo value.
IPFreely, to weed the network demons that dwell in them their Windows!

MarcScott
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:16 am

Okay, so I get the same issue, but with crashes that kill Scratch when switching between turning the server on and off from the edit menu and via a block.

I'll get this looked at by one of the software engineers.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

MarcScott

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:55 am

Could you test whether the scripts work when you launch Scratch from the terminal? Oddly, that seems to work for me, and is then persistent, until I recreate the file.

timrowledge

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:07 pm

HI folks - a reminder that by far the most efficient way to report Scratch issues is with a message in the Scratch Forum, which you will find a little further down the Forums page in the Programming section. I very rarely have time to scan all the other forums for Scratch related messages; I only know about this one because James logged a Github issue that referred to another Scratch message around here.

Or, if you really don't like to use the forum to post, just email me at tim@rowledge.org
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

timrowledge

Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:54 pm

MarcScott wrote:Okay, so I get the same issue, but with crashes that kill Scratch when switching between turning the server on and off from the edit menu and via a block.
This is a problem with the newest version of wiringPi changing policy relating to the setup call; it now causes the calling process to terminate. We didn't detect this before the latest release of Raspbian unfortunately. There should be an update soon.
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

Return to “Teaching and learning resources”