xiait

LTSP thin client, not berryterminal?

Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:02 am

I'm running Edubuntu 14.04 with LTSP and trying to setup a lab of Raspberry Pi B+ thin clients. I can't get sound working with Berryterminal, so I'm looking for another thin client option. (Pointers on how to get sound working with Berryterminal would also be welcome!)

This post seems to indicate that it's possible to make the Pi a "real LTSP thin client". But how?

The default LTSP installation creates an /opt/ltsp/i386 folder and /opt/ltsp/images/i386.img. I've managed to create /opt/ltsp/armhf and /opt/ltsp/images/armhf.img by following these instructions, but when the Pi boots up, it says "Insufficient information to set up nbd, quitting (nbdroot=/opt/ltsp/armhf, host=192.168.0.1, name=/opt/ltsp/armhf, port=, nbd-device=)".

I'm not sure what I should change to get LTSP to send the arm image instead of the i386 one. I made /etc/nbd-server/conf.d/ltsp_armhf.conf containing:

Code: Select all

[/opt/ltsp/armhf]
exportname = /opt/ltsp/images/armhf.img
readonly = true
authfile = /etc/ltsp/nbd-server.allow
and I've changed /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf to point to the armhf files instead of the i386 ones:

#
# Default LTSP dhcpd.conf config file.
#

authoritative;

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    range 192.168.0.20 192.168.0.250;
    option domain-name "example.com";
    option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.1;
    option broadcast-address 192.168.0.255;
    option routers 192.168.0.1;
#    next-server 192.168.0.1;
#    get-lease-hostnames true;
    option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
#    option root-path "/opt/ltsp/i386";
    option root-path "/opt/ltsp/armhf";
    if substring( option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9 ) = "PXEClient" {
        filename "/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0";
    } else {
#        filename "/ltsp/i386/nbi.img";
        filename "/ltsp/armhf/nbi.img";
    }
}
(I don't see an nbi.img file anywhere... should I?)

My Pi's SD card's cmdline.txt is:

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 elevator=deadline rootwait nbdroot=/opt/ltsp/armhf
(I don't know what most of that stuff means.) The last bit is supposed to solve the "Insufficient information" error message I'm getting, but it's not.

Has anyone setup LTSP thin clients using anything other than Berryterminal? Any pointers?

Something else I've tried is using Raspbian and running "X :1 -query 192.168.0.1", as in the first message of this thread (same as above link). I can start an LXDE session on the server that way, but I still can't get sound to play through the Pi. I added Pulse Audio to the Raspbian install, but the bcm2835 sound card isn't showing up: Pulse Audio Volume Control only lists a "Dummy device" for sound output. I probably need to setup some kind of networking in Pulse, but uncommenting the "load-module ...-tcp" lines in /etc/pulse/default.pa seems not to be enough.

Any tips about this kind of setup?

MaxMaxwell

Re: LTSP thin client, not berryterminal?

Wed May 27, 2015 1:35 am

I am planning on doing the same thing with the new B2. Have you found any answers since you posted in November?
Presently I am looking for an economical solution for a power supply. I hope to find an inexpensive power supply that will power four, or more PI B2 thin clients. Any suggestions?

fruitoftheloom

Wed May 27, 2015 5:11 am

MaxMaxwell wrote:I am planning on doing the same thing with the new B2. Have you found any answers since you posted in November?
Presently I am looking for an economical solution for a power supply. I hope to find an inexpensive power supply that will power four, or more PI B2 thin clients. Any suggestions?
LTSP has been superseeded by PiNET http://pinet.org.uk

Regards powering multiple RPi's, Anker Wall Chargers have been mentioned http://www.ianker.com/Wall-Chargers/category-c78-s1
Retired disgracefully.....

mrpi64

Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:30 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
MaxMaxwell wrote:I am planning on doing the same thing with the new B2. Have you found any answers since you posted in November?
LTSP has been superseeded by PiNET http://pinet.org.uk

Regards powering multiple RPi's, Anker Wall Chargers have been mentioned http://www.ianker.com/Wall-Chargers/category-c78-s1
PiNet and LTSP are two separate projects. PiNet is only based on it. That's like saying Ubuntu supersedes Debian.
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

manotroll

Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:59 pm

achieved some progress?

morphy_richards

Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:07 am

A few years back I used berry terminal on a load of Pi Bs, I remember I couldn't get sound working, later on with a newer version of berryterminal sound *just* started working.
(Before that, the sound came playing out of the server)
I remember someone else had the same issue which resolved once he got the newer version.
Perhaps it's worth checking which version of berryterminal you are using, could you have an older version? Or perhaps it's been broken in a newer version and it may be worth trying an older one?

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”