Laurens-wuyts

Re: Why use a RPi at school?

Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Ravenous wrote:Don't ask me how many flops that would be, or the current or power requirements...
It will ask about 10,5 GW. ;)
At this sort of battery it will run 150 days. :)
http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2 ... r-behemoth

P.S. then you need another two football fields. ;)

Laurens

W. H. Heydt

Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:31 pm

Laurens-wuyts wrote:
Ravenous wrote:Don't ask me how many flops that would be, or the current or power requirements...
It will ask about 10,5 GW. ;)
At this sort of battery it will run 150 days. :)
http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2 ... r-behemoth

P.S. then you need another two football fields. ;)

Laurens
Unless I've slipped several decimal places, I don't think so. 3.6x10**7 W-Hr / 1.05x10**10 W ~ 3x10**-3 Hr, or about 10 seconds.

BrendonShaw

Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:27 am

We done several STEM raspberry Pi clubs and I would say kids get more enguage with a RPi then any PC based software. Personally I think kids get more into coding when then can physically see or do something, like press a button light comes on and the build up projects.

We are now working with Colcheter zoo for an automatic animal feeder with a RPi. The kids are so enguaged with the project and see some amazing ideas based around something projects such as a traffic light board.

My only problem and something which we are looking on, is having suitable projects for kids and tne right level of material, equipment for a class room. So many schools have amazing kids, teachers and purchased RPi and now the question is what to do with them.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:39 am

BrendonShaw wrote:We done several STEM raspberry Pi clubs and I would say kids get more enguage with a RPi then any PC based software. Personally I think kids get more into coding when then can physically see or do something, like press a button light comes on and the build up projects.

We are now working with Colcheter zoo for an automatic animal feeder with a RPi. The kids are so enguaged with the project and see some amazing ideas based around something projects such as a traffic light board.

My only problem and something which we are looking on, is having suitable projects for kids and tne right level of material, equipment for a class room. So many schools have amazing kids, teachers and purchased RPi and now the question is what to do with them.
If you haven't already been, and you are a teacher, then I suggest trying to get on a Picademy course at Pi Towers. They are a real eye opener.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

BrendonShaw

Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:57 am

it would be good to go, I am not a teacher but an engineering manager using STEM & RPi help promote enginering as a career in schools. So not sure if I would be allow to attend such events, but it good to know if RPi group plan any industry input or allows ideas to be share other school projects.

jamesh

Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:40 pm

BrendonShaw wrote:it would be good to go, I am not a teacher but an engineering manager using STEM & RPi help promote enginering as a career in schools. So not sure if I would be allow to attend such events, but it good to know if RPi group plan any industry input or allows ideas to be share other school projects.
At the moment Picademy's are teachers or home educators only I am afraid. I'm not aware of any industry side Picademy style events, but will bring it up when I'm next at the Towers.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Heater

Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:52 pm

I'm not familiar with IBM gear but that does not look like any IBM Hollarith Card punch machine I have used back in the days of learning Algol on an ICL 2960.
The cards on the desk don't seem to have the right proportions for 1970's vintage Hollarith cards.

I'm prepared to believe that is actually a giant teletype kind of terminal.

Any old IBMers here?
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

DomL

Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:05 pm

It is interesting to note that most posts in this discussion are based on the assumption that there are other computers at school besides the Raspberry Pi. And that is of course the case for many of us, educators, and for our children…

But I am thinking about the millions and millions of kids and teachers in the world who are not that lucky… Those who live in less fortunate areas of the world and for whom so little has been done so far to help "close the gap" -- a gap that appears to grow wider and wider. For those kids and their teachers , the Raspberry Pi can genuinely be a "real computer" that can make a huge difference. Having been able to help make that difference for a couple of rural communities in Togo, I can testify of the huge impact a room full of Raspberry Pi can have on the local population, and more precisely on youth.

In December, back to the small Togolese village in which we set up our first computer room, I soon met a young guy who spent many hours in the "computer center" during the last 30 months. He should graduate from HS in June of this year. I was immensely happy when, at the question "So, what do you intend to study next year, Boris?", he answered with a smile: "Computer programming!" That convinced me of what a humble "computer center" can bring to a small village lost in the bush…

So, of course the Raspberry Pi IS a real computer and can be used like one! And, with the Raspberry Pi 2, it should be even easier to make the Raspi look and feel like the real computer it is. But that requires that it comes bundled with an appealing combination of OS, application software, and sample data, as well as with a clear, precise curriculum that can help self-taught discoverers -- teachers and young students –move on happily in their exploration of ICT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d075z_tZ0Qo

DL

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”