Kaspaas

Re: Is there sufficient teachers?

Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:02 am

I fully agree with the objectives for the RaspberryPi:  Getting kids exposed and interested in the internal workings of computers...

But is there sufficient capable teachers around to guide and inspire the youngsters?

I live in South Africa - and overhere the answer would be an absolute NO!.

There is not even capacity to teach basic computer user skills (School leavers after 12 years often can't even put a CV in MS Word together...)

I don't know what it is like elsewhere, but from what I read in these forums, I expect it to be similar in the UK - maybe not as bad

dukla2000

Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:44 am

I think the short answer is no. Arguably all countries in the world are short of good teachers for all subjects.

However, while I recognise (and encourage) the Foundation aim to improve the situation in UK schools, a lot of the ZX80/BBC Micro nostalgia on this forum shows a whole bunch of folks who educated themselves when given the opportunity. I figure the RasPi will give many inquiring minds a chance to play despite the fact they don't have suitable teachers in their normal classroom. But www will be their classroom and like all schools there will be some great teachers and some horrific ones.
Daily driver: Pi3B, 64GB Samsung Evo+ @100MHz, DVB-T, onboard WiFi for internet, BT/USB dongle for KB/mouse, 250GB HDD via USB for media, Raspbian Jessie Lite with Openbox desktop.
Museum: Pi B

cheery

Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:06 am

To get started with raspberry pi, you can just pick up an SD card with newest debian image inside and begin. It will come along with everything you need for writing your apps.

A good teacher would of course help you a lot along. But I think an ambitious person learns even if nobody is teaching him/her.

Possibly only thing you need to understand is English, but I guess that opens a way to many things anyway so it's worth the effort.

domesday

Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:33 am

I agree that many of the people on here are self taught. In my school the teachers actually learnt from us kids. When the first computer arrived at our school an announcement was made asking if any of the children had a computer at home and would like to assist the teachers with setting up the new computer.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:38 am

Certainly don't appear to be enough English teachers.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

markb

Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:58 am

Kaspaas said:

Is there sufficient teachers?

JamesH said:

Certainly don't appear to be enough English teachers.

Either that; or at least two people failed to pay attention during English lessons.

Kaspaas

Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:13 pm

markb said:

Kaspaas said:

Is there sufficient teachers?

Either that; or at least two people failed to pay attention during English lessons.

Apologies - English was the 3rd language I had to master by age 12.  At times there are a few details still confusing my mind

PS: Looking forward to receive my 'Pi

piglet

Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:34 pm

We don't know what's going to be on the SD card for the full release, however the low cost and low-power nature of the Pi makes it a good bet that quite a few machines will be going to places there is no internet access to do look-ups, and there should be an appropriate range of manuals and tutorials on the original SD card.

Gert van Loo

Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:49 pm

Completely off topic but reminds me of the Pink Floyd song:

"We don't need no education".

scep

Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:20 pm

Gert said:

Don't tell the Foundation  - if autodidacticism was all that innit, the RasPi wouldn't exist

rubikwizard

Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:25 pm

Gert said:

I was lucky enough to see this live last year in Manchester.

Gert van Loo

Tue May 01, 2012 6:30 pm

rubikwizard said:

Gert said:

I was lucky enough to see this live last year in Manchester.

I have one better: I saw this last year on the opening in London with the performance of David Gilmour. (Gosh what a solo was that!) The only concert I ever went to in my life and I hit the jackpot!

mudhut

Sat May 05, 2012 5:30 pm

I seriously doubt that there are sufficient teachers to do this job. In my school there's probably only me and I have plenty enough to do teaching Systems and Control.

We've heard it all before, I know but it's really sad that even if the number of teachers in my place of work were to be greater, the lack of a VGA port on the PI will kill any idea of using it as a whole class (one per pupil) computer stone dead, at least for the forseeable future. I don't think we have a single monitor that has an HDMI input.

Michael

Wed May 09, 2012 6:31 am

mudhut said:

I don't think we have a single monitor that has an HDMI input.

How many have either DVI-D, DVI-I or Composite CVBS input?

morphy_richards

Wed May 09, 2012 7:33 am

If you have newer (7 yr old or thereabouts) flat screen LCD monitors chances are very good you will have a second little DVI port near the VGA. You can use that with a very cheap HDMI to DVI converter. (why haven"t more graphics cards swapped or included one of these?)
TBH I was sceptical about the no VGA thing as well until I discovered this little port had been on my monitors for years.

ross.kinmont

Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:54 am

Hi Kaspaas,

I am also based in South Africa (Johannesburg) and am looking to start some school-level Raspberry Pi clubs.
Would love to get in contact.

My email is ross@kinmont.net.
Give me a shout if you are interested in connecting.

Regards,
Ross
Kaspaas wrote:I fully agree with the objectives for the RaspberryPi:  Getting kids exposed and interested in the internal workings of computers...

But is there sufficient capable teachers around to guide and inspire the youngsters?

I live in South Africa - and overhere the answer would be an absolute NO!.

There is not even capacity to teach basic computer user skills (School leavers after 12 years often can't even put a CV in MS Word together...)

I don't know what it is like elsewhere, but from what I read in these forums, I expect it to be similar in the UK - maybe not as bad

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”