Theladdie

Better comunicate to parents about Pi goodness

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:20 pm

I have been reading and watching a lot of news about the raspberry pi (I mean I have been obsessed since the prototype video hit youtube) but I have noticed a slight lean in who knows about the pi and wonder if there is a way to better communicate to parents about what the pi is and what it can do.

I had the feeling that only teachers/geeks and kids involved in class projects really know about the pi.

What about parents. The average parent that while taking in what interests their kid, might miss the pi as an investment. They might buy an iPad instead?!

Can we as a community better communicate what the pi can do outside of the geeky realms and teachers not just bring the pi into the classroom but highlight it to parents that its a good thing to have at home?

tonyhughes

Re: Better comunicate to parents about Pi goodness

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:26 pm

Yup, write a good article aimed at parents about why the RPi would be a good thing for their child, and you're all done!

Link to it from here (or write it here).

If it's good, it will get linked from other places, and spread around.

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:17 pm

Hmm. I second this idea. Lets brain storm for a second.

What motivates a parent to buy technology for their child?
Something to keep them quiet
Something to educate them
Because of pester power

What requirements do parents have of the technology?
Safety
Robustness
Turn key (e.g. just works, a symptom of the wider problem to do with the appliance-ification of technology)

Please feel free to suggest more answers for either question.

I think the problem we have is that parents want an appliance, which is pretty much the antithesis of what the Raspberry Pi is. So the first port of call would be to do something to convince them that buying a Pi, something which is not necessarily so easy to use, might be a good idea. But I fear that this will only work on parents who take a particular interest in the educational development of their child.

I kind of feel like pester power might be the way to go. If we can cultivate a desire to own a Pi in the kids they’ll pester their parents to buy one.

BadSector

Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:09 am

Isn't the point of Raspberry Pi to be cheap enough so kids can buy it on their own? I remember when I was I kid, I was buying often electronic parts (mostly for my computer) around Pi's price using only my (little) allowance money.

Of course there is also the matter of the necessary extras, like a TV, keyboard and mouse...

bouncymat

Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:53 am

I was talking to a parent recently - she was concerned about buying her son a pi as he was hoping to use it to play games, i explained to her that even if that was 'all' her son ended up doing, setting it up and making it possible to play games on would in itself be an educational experience.

Some parents need reassuring that a Raspberry pi is going to help their child learn however they choose to use it.

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:06 am

BadSector wrote:Isn't the point of Raspberry Pi to be cheap enough so kids can buy it on their own? I remember when I was I kid, I was buying often electronic parts (mostly for my computer) around Pi's price using only my (little) allowance money.
That’s cool. I think the barrier to this though is that the Pi is currently only available through mail order where Debit or Credit cards are required for payment. Maybe it would be an idea to have some kind of mobile Raspberry Pi shop where it could drive around to various cities and sell them for cash over a counter (sort of like a Burger van). That way kids could turn up with their pocket money and buy one lemon squeezey like.

I've also been watching this video; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cqc0XdYezM
Where it is suggested that Raspberry Pi's could be sold VAT free through schools to students for educational purposes.
bouncymat wrote:Some parents need reassuring that a Raspberry pi is going to help their child learn however they choose to use it.
Excellent point. This rings true with my own experience. When I first got a computer it was too play games on. But after playing some games I moved onto finding out what else my computer could do, like composing music, animating graphics and I eventually wound up at programming :)

SimonSmall

Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:35 pm

I read an article recently about using the Pi in education. It gave a decent analysis on the difficulties of putting it in mainstream educational lessons, such as the facilities, knowledgeable teachers and teaching materials. It also talked about how it might be adopted in after school clubs or some sort of general lessons, comparing the Pi to musical instruments. The school would usually have a limited number of usable instruments, and would teach enough to see which children were interested. The expectation is then that the interested and capable children would continue in those classes but would do their own practising at home. Parents usually buy decent quality instruments if the children are interested, and I don't see that would be much different to parents, families and friends buying the bits needed for a Pi system

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”