Wage_Slave

Re: Plea for a transparent case

Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:58 pm

I know that there is a proposal to produce some form of case for the educational release, but it would be a great shame if the Pi became just another black/grey/raspberry box with untold contents (my car for example has lots!). A transparent case screen printed with the names of the principle components will certainly spark interest. Particularly when there are unexplored connections (e.g. GPIO) which are not just the usual 'plug in your device here'.

abishur

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:00 pm

I'm guessing you mean a case available from the r-pi store itself, but there have been several suggestions on how to make a clear case to do just that.  Now that I'm thinking about it off the top of my head, you could always use one of those clear food storage containers and write on top of the lid
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

grumpyoldgit

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:02 pm

It's called a Ferrero Rocher box.

TheEponymousBob

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:12 pm

Grumpoldgit said:

It"s called a Ferrero Rocher box.

You spoil us!

Wage_Slave

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:16 pm

True that would be a simple option, I would rather a formal version so the teaching staff have to know all of the components rather than just write on the easy ones!

Sorry if it has been discussed before, but these forums are now so vast it is becoming difficult to find anthing easily.

oninoshiko

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:19 pm

I dont think I've seen a post suggesting haveing all the components etched onto a transperent case. It's not a bad suggestion either!

abishur

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:20 pm

Wage_Slave said:

True that would be a simple option, I would rather a formal version so the teaching staff have to know all of the components rather than just write on the easy ones!

Sorry if it has been discussed before, but these forums are now so vast it is becoming difficult to find anthing easily.

Well, this is *technically* unique in that it's a request for an official case that's clear

I've found that the best way to find anything in the forum is to use the site search on the front page.  It usually finds the thread I want in the top couple results!

oninoshiko

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:34 pm

The unique element isn't so much the clearness, as IDing the compenants of the board.

I, for one, think it's a massively cool idea.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:25 am

Fortunately there are only two major components, so an easy etch job!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

bredman

Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:19 am

A great idea, but it could fall down in practice.

There are two large components, the CPU and GPU. All other components (fuse, voltage regulator, etc) are absolutely tiny. It would be impossible to make labels small enough for the small components.

However, it would be a good idea to produce an image blown up to A4 (or US letter) size which describes the hardware in detail. This image could be part of every basic SD card, just like an easter egg for curious students to find.

jojopi

Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:25 pm

bredman said:

There are two large components, the CPU and GPU.
The CPU and GPU are in the same package.  And you can not see it because there is RAM on top.

The other large component is the USB hub and ethernet controller (Model B only).

bredman

Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:33 pm

Looks like I need a graphic of the board layout.

abishur

Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:50 pm

bredman said:

Looks like I need a graphic of the board layout.

Check the FAQ It's the first thing on the page

grumpyoldgit

Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:52 pm

Does this help?

crundy

Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:15 am

There is a thread discussing using printable OHP film as a foldable case:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....-ohp-film/

Nick Varney

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:05 am

oninoshiko said:

The unique element isn't so much the clearness, as IDing the compenants of the board.

I, for one, think it's a massively cool idea.

I agree, an excellent idea. Could come in many colours too, or should that be flavours?

milododds

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:51 pm

A silicone or other sort of clear rubber like material might be nice. Perhaps with a redish (raspberry) tint to it and the Raspberry Pi logo molded into it along with some lettering (for educational purposes) are all excellent ideas already posted. This sort of case would be shock resistant and provide a little more protection than some of the other case proposals. I've seen something like this for the Lacie mobile external drives...but so far I haven't seen it in a clear form...also there needs to be enough air space for cooling purposes (is that going to be an issue?).

itsonlyme

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:00 am

I am planning on using an empty cigarette packet until such time as cases become available. In the UK made from stiff cardboard and king size appear to be exactly the right size.

If you see someone in the street picking up an empty packet go up to them and say "Raspberry", and you've made a friend for life (Grin)

lobster

Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:13 pm

I see no reason why the packaging (plastic and card) that Rpi is sent in, can not be the instructions and case. Hopefully the suppliers will be working towards such . . . with complimentary raspberry jam sachet sponsored by Robinsons; recipe by Liz . . .

Raspberry Pi

3.14159265 of your 5 a day

rasbeer

Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:27 pm

bredman said:

There are two large components, the CPU and GPU. All other components (fuse, voltage regulator, etc) are absolutely tiny. It would be impossible to make labels small enough for the small components.

How about using a Fresnel-style plastic magnifier for the lid?

killor

Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:23 pm

Wage_Slave said:

I know that there is a proposal to produce some form of case for the educational release, but it would be a great shame if the Pi became just another black/grey/raspberry box with untold contents (my car for example has lots!). A transparent case screen printed with the names of the principle components will certainly spark interest. Particularly when there are unexplored connections (e.g. GPIO) which are not just the usual 'plug in your device here'.

I am making a case methacrylate 3 mm thick
We have a discount for purchases made in ETSY site :o
Discount Codes :MAYTHE4TH :!:

gritz

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:21 pm

Good stuff killor!

FWIW there I watched a video on the BBC news site a day or two ago featuring Eben demoing the Pi. He did mention the case for the educational version and suggested that making it transparent would be a good idea.

But would a clear case make the young 'uns more or less likely to prise it apart in order to get at the innards, I wonder? Forbidden fruit and all that…

Edit: video at bottom of news article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/tech.....y-17245294

rasbeer

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:58 pm

Won't the big logo obscure the contents (somewhat )?

killor

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:53 pm

gritz said:

Good stuff killor!

FWIW there I watched a video on the BBC news site a day or two ago featuring Eben demoing the Pi. He did mention the case for the educational version and suggested that making it transparent would be a good idea.

But would a clear case make the young "uns more or less likely to prise it apart in order to get at the innards, I wonder? Forbidden fruit and all that…

Edit: video at bottom of news article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/tech.....y-17245294

Thank's Gritz.

The first idea was to make a CASE that was transparent to "SEE ALL INSIDE."

killor

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:17 pm

Cutting the acrylic cases with (Carbon dioxide) CO2 laser...  wavelength of 10.6 microns

The video is accelerated to shorten the viewing.  :-)

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”