Daz wilde

Minecraft Pi? Any Lessons

Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:53 am

Hi Guys

Im pretty new to raspberry Pi's and I have never used minecraft before. However after getting some scratch lessons done.... kids ruby and a burping jelly baby :lol: the children really want to use Minecraft.

I understand a bit about what minecraft is about (building your own worlds etc) but im yet to find and decent lessons which I might be able to get the kids involved in.

Does anybody have any activities for Minecraft Pi, I've seen the whac a block one but that's it.

:D

B.Goode

Re: Minecraft Pi? Any Lessons

Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:16 am

There are many other resources on the RPF website in addition to the one you mention.

This guy is a 'mine' of information: http://www.stuffaboutcode.com/2013/04/m ... orial.html

Note his recommendation to look at the (free, online) back issues of MagPi magazine.

This is a link to another set of tutorials: https://arghbox.wordpress.com/

Daz wilde

Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:46 am

Brilliant I'll check it out later!

playpiper

Mon May 02, 2016 7:40 pm

We created a new product for schools using the RasberryPi. www.PlayPiper.com. Piper uses a Minecraft mod to teach students about electronics through game based learning. We are testing Piper in schools now in Silicon Valley and hope to grow with your help!

Email chris@withpiper.com if you have any questions about Piper.

Alan_Anderson2002

Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:18 pm

thanks for the links listed above. Just getting in RPi and Minecraft looks like a good way to start.

DougieLawson

Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:13 pm

There's quite a lot of Minecraft stuff in the back issues of The MagPi magazine.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/issues/
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

gallopsean
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:06 pm

Enclosed please find the slides from a presentation on Minecraft in an Educational Setting which were presented at the most recent Picademy in Baltimore.

This presentation turned me from someone who had ignored Minecraft into someone who is now using Minecraft as part of my AP Principals of Computer Science course.

Sean Gallop

gallopsean

Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:18 pm

...very sorry, but Picademy presentation slides were 90MB, and I could not load them on this site. Perhaps you might be able to get a copy of the presentation directly from the people at Picademy.

--Sean

MattRichardson
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:26 pm

The Minecraft lesson from Picademy is based on this resource: https://www.raspberrypi.org/learning/ge ... worksheet/

bingevader

Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:58 pm

I know there were no further updates planned, but I was just wondering if was time to ask very nicely, poke gently, or start a petition to get a little update to Minecraft Pi.
They must be minted by now.
I'm not after anything near the finished version, but it is such a good resource to use with the children, it would be helpful to have a slightly more up to date version with a few more options.
The main one for me, which in fact would be plenty on its own, would be the ability to save a world.
The children lose interest and become frustrated with the inability to return to a world they have spent time on hacking with python.
Thoughts?

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”