AidanDelaney

Re: Pi as a GLES platform

Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:22 pm

Just to contribute to the general buzz around raspberrypi:

I'm incredibly excited about the raspberrypi. I'm even more excited since I learned that this has been a slow-burning project of Eben's for a number of years. It's yet another "Consumer Electronics" product that shows that you need a deep understanding of the entire software/hardware stack and a demonstration that breakthrough products actually come from a long line of incrementally better prototypes.

I teach computer graphics at a UK University. We tend to use C++ and/or WebGL. The rasperrypi has an on-die GLES GPU and seems to be particularly suited as a cheap "smartphone". Paired with Ardruino and XBee (which we currently use) I forsee really interesting mesh networking applications.

Like many others, I'm looking at a Debian + XFCE combo (though I'm a GNOMEr at heart) with GEdit as a simple text-editor for development.

ErvKosch

Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:16 pm

Please forgive me but what does GLES mean?

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:24 pm

It's an open API for controlling 3d graphics hardware. You might want to have a look at http://www.khronos.org, which is the standards body responsible for Open GLES and a bunch of other APIs. (Eben happens to be the group chair for Open VG when he's wearing yet another hat. I usually go along to the hotels the face-to-face sessions, which last a week, are hosted in, in a wifely capacity.)
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

kme

Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:53 pm

Quote from ErvKosch on November 17, 2011, 22:16
Please forgive me but what does GLES mean?Wikipedia is helpful as always:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL_ES

Heppie

Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:58 pm

Hey Aidan, We going to get some of these in CI224 next semester?

na1pir

Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:21 am

I don't know about GLES but I do know (free)GLUT and is pretty easy to use even for beginner programmers. Someone should take a look into it and check if freeglut library compiles on arm.

AidanDelaney

Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:47 am

@Heppie That's my intention, but it all depends on timing of the general release of raspberrypis. I hope to get a few units to test in the first release of 10,000 but we may have to wait until later to secure a budget to buy volume. Though, if students buy their own, I'll certainly support development on it.

@na1pir GLES is the embedded subset of OpenGL as @liz pointed out above. Basically the OpenGL standards committee took the best bits of modern OpenGL and threw out a lot of the cruft. You'll find that GLES is the hardware accelerated drawing API of choice on several games consoles and on nearly all smartphones. Stuff like https://gitorious.org/ci224-lecture4/ci224-lecture4 uses modern OpenGL (a source port to GLES is fairly trivial). It's one of the codebases that I give students to play with.

Heppie

Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:37 am

Yer I'll be getting one for myself anyway, be prepared for a few linux questions I'll probably be asking you though.

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”