billio

IT education for the unemployed and disabled

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:59 am

Whilst the educational emphasis of the RPi in the UK has concerned children and schools, I just wondered if anyone has thought about the using the RPi for education related to the unemployed and those on disability benefits ?.

Has anyone any pointers or links to initiatives in this area ?.

morphy_richards

Re: IT education for the unemployed and disabled

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:27 am

I suppose it would be much the same as that for the hobbyist. A number of American universities have begun to enroll students on distance e learning courses for computer science. Try looking for distance learning and e learning programming / computing / computer science.

rasbeer

Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:18 am

These might fit the bill:
http://www.class-central.com/
http://www.saylor.org/

(Although they might not suit some kinds of disability.)

billio

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:21 am

Thanks for the links, but I was thinking more of initiatives to create support for the use of RPi as both an adult educational tool and the provision of IT access for people on low incomes, which the unemployed and those on disability benefit can be in the UK. Eventually, skills learnt from using the RPi might lead to future employment or some opportunities for earning income at home.

Access to IT and the internet is increasingly important as the UK government shifts to using on-line systems to provide information and for the submission of applications for benefits, appeals etc..

I have a little experience of providing old, refurbished laptops to meet this purpose, but I just wondered if the use of a RPi offered a different opportunity; being cheap, utilising TV and phones already in place but also having the strong educational aspect as well.

LuaPie

Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:02 pm

billio wrote:I just wondered if anyone has thought about the using the RPi for education related to the unemployed and those on disability benefits ?
The Raspberry Pi wouldn't be of much use to unemployed people because most employers want experience with Windows, MS Office and .Net programming etc.

I can't remember seeing any job advert that requires knowledge of the Raspberry Pi. Employers are very specific with the kind of software packages they want you to have experience with. Often, they will want you to have a degree in a subject that is not even necessary for the job in question and X years commercial experience with software package XYZ.

With regard to internet access for unemployed, they just tell you to go to the local library which offers free internet access.

The main attraction of the Raspberry Pi for unemployed would be its use as a cheap computer / media player / games console.

billio

Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:25 pm

LuaPie,

Yes, those are real issues and solutions, though not everyone lives near a library. Some people find it difficult to get out of their homes, for one reason or another, and I suppose it was these I was thinking of.

I am just trying to think out-of-the-box.

Bill

morphy_richards

Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:22 pm

Surely the employer who is worth working for and offers the most fulfilling work would look for the candidate who can think out of the box and make something work against the odds.

I've met many individuals who haven't let physical disability get in the way of becoming - for example, a successful pro bono lawyer...

If you are disabled and unemployed then a raspberry pi could be seen as a helping affordable education tool to help you become more employable.

That's it.

FX4

Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:30 pm

Information technology is a broad field. Certainly as things stand now it could be used to learn some rudimentary LINUX skills. The problem with the RPi is that it does not have enough computational power to teach you the skills employers seek. It's not powerful enough to teach how to build or administer servers. I'm on the networking side of the house. I have a pretty large lab set up in basement and I do plan to use these as cheap end nodes when I build up a large network. As a side project I am planning on building a few of these out as various capture devices but I'm not certain I will be able to achieve the throughput needed to be successful. In an IT training program these certainly could be used as low cost devices in a larger package, whatever that is, but they are not powerful enough to act as a stand alone platform. And as mentioned in prior posts the RPi does not run the software that is needed for an entry level help desk job. So no, I don't see these devices as an IT training tool for the unemployed.

DexOS

Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:25 pm

The problem in the UK, is that no matter how good you are at something.
You will not get a job in IT for example, unless you have a university degree,
I am not talking telly sales here.
There is no shortage of the bread and butter web/ M$ people.
The shortage is in low level soft/hardware engineers, to get around this shortage, the Co that needs such people SHOULD HEAD HUNT from open source projects. Just like when a good hacker gets caught, they get a top job at a big security Co.

This will do two things, first the Co gets people that can do the job. Two the person doing the open source project will be able to show what they can do.
I have seen so many project with very talented engineers, that are unemployed or semi retired.
I mean look at Thrust2 and ThrustSSC for example.

The only people that get jobs from open source projects, are the manager types, not the engineers.
So Steve Jobs would get a job, but Steve Wozniak would not.
Batteries not included, Some assembly required.

billio

Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:15 pm

Good points about IT education and getting an IT job in the UK. I agree that as it stands a RPi is not going to provide much, if any, direct industry-relevant skills.

But in this instance I see the Raspberry Pi as possibly providing two things.

Some unemployed and disabled people I know are not particularly well off. Perhaps RPi will help them keep in touch with the outside world through the Internet. They will have to engage with the thing to make it work and the community support that comes with it could be beneficial.

Then, as they have a RPi, perhaps some might be interested in engaging with the educational side of the project and learning some IT skills.

The skills learnt may not be of direct use, they may only be things that tickle their fancy, they may only be making simple games, but it is increasing the work skills in the community and I believe that will be of benefit in the long run.

nicolaijackson

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:30 am

Unemployment remains stubbornly high in the United States But there may be more to that than the meddling of the usual suspects in Washington and on Wall Street. A recent report says that, because of technological improvements, computers and robots are killing middle class jobs at a growing rate. Source of information: robot invasion

jbracegirdle

Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:01 pm

As the free course starts tomorrow I thought I'd add a quote from the Python forum.
DanI20 wrote:MITx has the 6.00x course: Introduction to Computer Science and Programming and it will begin again on February 4th. The programming part is in Python. The course is very well structured; there are problem sets to be done in (almost) every week and the course materials are very good. They offer a free certificate at the end of the course, after 2 midterms and 1 final exam. See here: https://www.edx.org/courses/MITx/6.00x/ ... ring/about.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 32&t=30182

Edx also seems a great free way to learn and get certified for free on many IT/CS topics.

Jim JKla

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:03 pm

There is just the chance that the RPi may produce a new grass roots level in the same way the Specky/BBC/Commodore did, it may just become it's own small off shoot of history.

The RPi is a cheap entry level with thousands of off shoots already. It's got to revive intererest in Linux. (not that it was needed).

Ok it's a million plus globally now (note guess on number) over time this is not going to shrink and we have no real idea where it will stop.

Non school interest has to be a start and where direct jobs from it are unlikely it may just get some of theose unemployed and disabled onto University courses.

Indirectly the Spectrum got me onto a BSc course. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”