doctor64

Re: TinyTOSLINK (digital audio output) now for B+, too

Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:15 pm

Hi Jörg!

Is it possible to buy one of this boards? Or, maybe, schematics is shared somewhere?
It will be very nice if i can use again my old recevier.

Alex

Loadercoder

Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:05 pm

Hi Jörg,

This is a great piece of work you created. Just bought a Raspberry Pi 2 B trying to find out how it works as mediaplayer.
So this add-on would make it more fun watching movies in full DTS and so on. :D :D

If possible I would like to buy 2 of these.

Best Regards,

Loadercoder

[IDC]Dragon

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:41 pm

Sorry folks, I’m sold out for the B+ kind, have only a few rev. B boards left. The appearance of the Pi 2 board increased the demand for the newer board, while the guy I was PCB "ridesharing" with is currently too busy with life to take new orders.

Me too, I have to reconsider how to proceed with this too successful project, don’t have the time for all the soldering and the emails. Either pass it to some professional, or making it a public design, or just stop it. Anyway, I'm not able to do anything before march.

Send me a PM with your email if I shall add you to a waiting/notification list. Meanwhile I recommend the Hifiberry Digi board, it is a commercial product you can buy. (Although people tell me they prefer my board because it doesn't add height, slim enough to fit in a standard case.) It is compatible, a parallel development of which I didn't know while I was designing mine, but I later took advantage of the existing drivers for it.

Regards
Jörg

foresto

Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:48 am

Since this little wonder can apparently handle 24 bits and a 192 kHz sample rate, I wonder: Can it pass through high def audio bitstreams like DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD?

Sir Limpalot

Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:07 am

Brilliant! I want one!

[IDC]Dragon

Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:30 am

foresto wrote:Since this little wonder can apparently handle 24 bits and a 192 kHz sample rate, I wonder: Can it pass through high def audio bitstreams like DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD?
It can do 192 kHz 24 bit over fiber because I managed to find optical transmitters with 25 MHz bandwidth. If your receiving end has similar (I just retrofitted my DAC), this works.

I'm no expert on multichannel... People reported that Dolby Digital passthrough works well, two people have an issue with AC3 being detected but silent. I guess it's not my hardware, but whatever feeds it.

Jörg

markusA

Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:49 am

Yes, most likely any limitations will be in the source and the receiver as long as you stay within the limits of the module.

foresto

Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:30 pm

I've been told that beyond the bandwidth issue, there's a lack of protocol support for the HD 7.1 formats on TOSLINK or coax S/PDIF. Nobody have stepped forward with references yet, but I'm starting to believe them.

cha0skind

Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:34 pm

Hey
This is exactly what i need now.
Just abozut to set up a the new RaspberryPi 2 as an multimedia Center to get rid of my power consuming tower PC.

But the only thing holding me back is that there is noch Optical Sound Output with the Raspberry.

I would be more then happy if I could get my handy on one of your TinyToslinks :)

Please let us know when you are able to produce them again, as i am sure you won´t share the layout and your components with us, or will you ?! :)

Man in a van

Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:39 pm

[IDC]Dragon wrote:Sorry folks, I’m sold out for the B+ kind, have only a few rev. B boards left. The appearance of the Pi 2 board increased the demand for the newer board, while the guy I was PCB "ridesharing" with is currently too busy with life to take new orders.

Me too, I have to reconsider how to proceed with this too successful project, don’t have the time for all the soldering and the emails. Either pass it to some professional, or making it a public design, or just stop it. Anyway, I'm not able to do anything before march.

Send me a PM with your email if I shall add you to a waiting/notification list. Meanwhile I recommend the Hifiberry Digi board, it is a commercial product you can buy. (Although people tell me they prefer my board because it doesn't add height, slim enough to fit in a standard case.) It is compatible, a parallel development of which I didn't know while I was designing mine, but I later took advantage of the existing drivers for it.

Regards
Jörg
Hi Jörg, success comes with all sorts of problems, a jolly good product.

A lot of people with non main-stream stuff sell over here

https://www.tindie.com/

there are also folk who can help develop product.

If you consider going down the small term production route maybe you can find assistance from their community.

Just a suggestion. ;)

Best of luck

Ronnie.

satchuck

Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:21 pm

foresto wrote:I've been told that beyond the bandwidth issue, there's a lack of protocol support for the HD 7.1 formats on TOSLINK or coax S/PDIF. Nobody have stepped forward with references yet, but I'm starting to believe them.
If you trust Wikipedia as a reference: Unlike HDMI, TOSLINK does not have the capacity to carry the lossless versions of Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio and LPCM.

armpowered

Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:13 pm

[IDC]Dragon wrote:Sorry folks, I’m sold out for the B+ kind, have only a few rev. B boards left. The appearance of the Pi 2 board increased the demand for the newer board, while the guy I was PCB "ridesharing" with is currently too busy with life to take new orders.
Only just found this, has anyone tried one on an A+ (can't think why it wouldn't work)?
I recently bought an A+ which I think is more fun than the B+, as something to play with whilst my Pi 2 is away with faulty microSD socket and was looking at the audio possibilities.

I have a HiFiBerry Digi on a Pi B (running piCorePlayer - an incredibly reliable Squeezebox replacement) with a hacked case but I've always thought it looked very ugly. Your board on an A+ with just WiFi dongle on the USB would be a really neat way of achieving the same thing. Add me to your list if you ever sort out a (semi?) commercial production.

Woofer

Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:12 pm

I'm very interested in buying one of these. I just received the Raspberry Pi 2 only to find out that my TV wont pass AC3/DTS through optical to my receiver :( Please send me a PM if you're still selling them.

neillerm

Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:23 pm

Hi, Jörg,
How can I get hold of such board
I have the Pi2b
you don't have to include the header
thanx so much
Neil

markusA

Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:24 am

I'm waiting to get my psu any day now and then it's time to hook up my rpi2. I feel like I need a "dummy's guide to..." in order to set it all up. Slightly intimidating to say the least, lol.

markusA

Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:30 pm

I finally got everything up and running. :)
Me being a no0b both with Kodi and openelec didn't make it any easier. I ended up ssh'ing in and editing the necessary stuff manually. And configuring Kodi isn't trivial either. Too early to comment on system performance but it seems to be working at least.

Moessi774

Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:16 pm

Hi Jörg,
I am new here to the forums. Just borrowed a Model B from a friend to try using the raspberry as a media center. But the only thing that stops me from buying my own one is the missing optical out. I totally love your project. Its exactly what i would need. Have you got time for one more?
Lg Moessi774

[IDC]Dragon

Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:50 am

Moessi774 wrote:Just borrowed a Model B from a friend to try using the raspberry as a media center. But the only thing that stops me from buying my own one is the missing optical out. I totally love your project. Its exactly what i would need. Have you got time for one more?
The B+/Pi2 model is sold out, I have only a few of the B model addons left. See the other thread:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 45&t=75225

Jörg

jnetode

Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:57 am

Hi, Jörg,
I received my part, but still could not get it to run. I installed Openelec 5.0.6 and followed the steps from Hifiberry (similar to yours, but remounting /flash) and it will not boot anymore.
I still have a lot to learn on linux... Keep trying.
regards,
Joel

picov

Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:25 pm

Hi,
I've just received my RP2 and I'm looking for a digital output solution.
Can you confirm that you board is working with latest OpenELEC 5.0.7?
Any chance that you can send one to Italy?

Bye.

jnetode

Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:19 am

jnetode wrote:Hi, Jörg,
I received my part, but still could not get it to run. I installed Openelec 5.0.6 and followed the steps from Hifiberry (similar to yours, but remounting /flash) and it will not boot anymore.
I still have a lot to learn on linux... Keep trying.
regards,
Joel
Hi, Jörg,
It s all working. I am on the Raspberry Pi 2 with Openelec 5.0.6. It turned out my SD card was the problem.
Thanks again, I really enjoy this.

skymoose

Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:12 am

hi

can I buy one of these from you please? - think it's just what I'm looking for

chris

stereoluver

Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:48 pm

I'm down for a few of these. (3-10) Can you message me a price please?

Chuck

mikee2185

Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:24 pm

Hi there,
I'm also very interested in one of these, it looks really neat.
Thanks and good work!

gavinc

Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:47 am

Hi Jorg,

I am really interested in getting a couple of these. Canm you please let me know when you are ready to produce again or sell kits.

Gavin

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”