reggie4

Real Time Clock

Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:45 am

Hi all,

I've been having problems with a wifi dongle and just cannot get it to work, so if/ until i ever get it working, i need a real time clock RTC to give me an accurate time stamp in the interim.

I'm nervous now that i'll not be able to get the RTC to work, so wanted to ask you all, which is the easiest, RTC to get working with all versions of firmware, and which is the most wildly used, and tutorial/driver friendly!

could someone provide links to tutorials / best places to buy UK preferred,

Thanks in advance,

Reggie.

Bazzer

Re: Real Time Clock

Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:13 am

I think this one would be the go:
http://www.adafruit.com/products/264
and there's a rpi tutorial too:
http://learn.adafruit.com/adding-a-real ... spberry-pi

Ultimately ur going to want a network connection, what's the prob?

AndyD

Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:37 am

I have a friend who is using these and has been happy.

MaxK1

Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:21 pm

Sparkfun, Adafruit and no doubt countless others have them - it's just an 8 pin IC and 32.768 KHz crystal that is needed.
However, this is no hyper-accurate clock and can (and does!) drift quite a bit. Probably "good enough" for most people.
Super simple to set up - the Adafruit site gives details on how to do it and that probably applies to all the other, similar boards.
If you can source the DS1307 and 32.768KHz crystal yourself, it might make a good 1st group project for kids to learn a bit about soldering, circuit layout, i2c, etc. (And save you a few $ !) There isn't much that can go wrong if you follow the Adafruit tutorial (note that you DO NOT need the resistors)

I should add that you can use whatever size 3V battery/holder you can get hold of easily - a CR2032 is easier to find locally (for me at least) than the one called for in the Sparkfun board.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

reggie4

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:03 am

Thanks all,

I managed to get my wifi dongle working, so in the end i didn't need a RTC.

I'll keep this post in mind if i ever need one,

Thanks again for your recommendations,

Reggie.

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”