ndfred

Hooking up 3 breakout boards without wires

Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:25 am

Hi!

As my first Pi project (please forgive my dumb questions) I am looking to assemble an indoor climate monitor composed of:

[*]Pi Zero W
[*]BME680 temperature + humidity + air quality sensor
[*]TCS34725 light sensor
[*]SPH0645LM4H microphone (for noise level)

Adafruit and Pimoroni produce nice breakout boards for these, using the I2C and I2S interfaces. I have never wired components like these, but I imagine that they would compete for the same pins. I could use a breadboard with jumper wires, but I am afraid this will result in a really fragile result if I am going to leave them in our rooms. Ideally they'd all be either soldered or assembled. I looked at the Breakout Garden which looks like exactly what I need, but unfortunately it doesn't support a microphone breakout.

Any suggestions on how to assemble this in a sturdy way? Thanks!

alphanumeric

Re: Hooking up 3 breakout boards without wires

Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:07 pm

The Enviro+ has a BME280, LTR-559 light sensor, and microphone all in the one unit. Plus a few other bits like a display.

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/enviro-plus

I have a couple of Pi's with multiple i2c breakout boards hooked up.
I have pictures here in my public Onedrive folder.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjOYwiwlwDtpgq8_PRQ ... e=L8rwqK

I use a Proto Hat on a stacking header. My RTC is soldered right to the Proto Hat. Other boards are connected via male headers and female to female jumpers.
i2c is a shared bus, as long as no two devices have the same i2c address everything is fine.

ndfred

Re: Hooking up 3 breakout boards without wires

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:36 pm

Fantastic, I don’t know how I missed the Enviro+ but that’s exactly what I would need! I also didn’t know there was a middle ground between breadboard and direct solder, and stacking makes sense too. Thanks a lot for all the info :)

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”