douganger

Re: PoE hat, Raspberry Pi 4, not able to power off

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:28 pm

I am having this issue as well. I have a brand new Raspberry Pi 4, 2GB and brand new official PoE hat. I am using a new SD card image with the 2019-06-20 Raspbian image.

When I shut the Pi down, either through the GUI or with sudo shutdown -h now, It shuts off and then starts up a second or two later.

Additionally, when I try to restart, either through the GUI or with sudo shutdown -r now, it shuts off and then hangs on restart with the fan running on the PoE hat. I have to unplug, wait ten seconds, and plug it back in to get it to start again. (Unplugging and plugging back in without waiting results in the same hang-on-startup behavior.)

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

Doug

rpdom

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:47 am

What does sudo poweroff do?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:37 am

OK, we have not replicated this in house, so am on the lookout for someone to send their equipment back to us. All will be replaced of course.

Will need the Pi 4 AND the PoE HAT.

Anyone local to within the UK, or even nr Cambridge who would be willing to send stuff in to us? Please contact me via info@raspberrypi.org FAO James Hughes.

Thanks.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

PiGraham

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:44 am

It might be useful if people could also report what POE equipment they are using to inject power.

Brabus453

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:31 am

PiGraham wrote:
It might be useful if people could also report what POE equipment they are using to inject power.
Using it on Ubiquiti Unifi POE switches.

Brabus453

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:34 am

jamesh wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:37 am
OK, we have not replicated this in house, so am on the lookout for someone to send their equipment back to us. All will be replaced of course.

Will need the Pi 4 AND the PoE HAT.

Anyone local to within the UK, or even nr Cambridge who would be willing to send stuff in to us? Please contact me via info@raspberrypi.org FAO James Hughes.

Thanks.
If it helps, I bought pi4 4gb and POE hat v2 from ThePiHut in Uk.

Maybe they can send it to you as they are based in UK?

kentavv

Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:33 pm

PiGraham wrote:
Cisco Sg350-10P 10-Port Gigabit Managed Switch (SG35010PK9NA)

'shutdown -h now' and 'poweroff' have the same effect on three Raspberry Pi 4 2GB with the official PoE hat. The system seems to shutdown but then immediately springs back to life. The appearance is more similar to a 'shutdown -r now'

smooger

Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:27 pm

Two Raspberry Pi 4 (4gb & 2gb), both with official PoE hats, exhibit the same symptoms:-

'shutdown -h now' simply performs a reboot.

Both fed from the same UniFi Switch 8 POE-60W (V 4.0.42.10433, Rev 8)

smooger

Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:22 pm

smooger wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:27 pm
Two Raspberry Pi 4 (4gb & 2gb), both with official PoE hats, exhibit the same symptoms:-

'shutdown -h now' simply performs a reboot.

Both fed from the same UniFi Switch 8 POE-60W (V 4.0.42.10433, Rev 8)
Clean install of Buster Lite on the Pi 4 2gb gave the same issue.

Steven Boelens

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:52 am

Here the same issue. Several RPi 4 with PoE hat. All are connected to (different) Ubiquiti Unifi 8 60W switches with PoE.

I am wondering: In this thread I see a number of reports that people are having this issue and only one person that isn't having this issue: jamesh. Is jamesh the exception or are there also a lot of other users that have no issue with the RPi 4 powered over PoE and the newest version of software? I can imagine that someone who is not having this issue doesn't report this here.

So are we who are having this problem the exception or is everyone having this problem and is jamesh the exception?

I have a RPi4 with PoE hat which I could send to Cambridge if needed. But I live in the Netherlands so someone nearer would be more practical I think?

Steven Boelens.

jdb

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:17 pm

OUt of interest, what happens if you add a nontrivial load to the 5V GPIO pin? Can you add a bunch of LEDs/resistors such that you draw ~40-50mA at 5V?
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

timg236

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:31 am

If you have a USB UART cable then it would be interesting to get the bootloader debug output during the reboot. It prints the value of the reset register.

To enable logging download the bootloader update from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

Code: Select all

sed -i -e "s/BOOT_UART=0/BOOT_UART=1/" pieeprom.bin
Then update as normal using the instructions in the README

the other setting to experiment with, although I don't think it will make any difference is WAKE_ON_GPIO which disables the PMIC power off on halt

sed -i -e "s/WAKE_ON_GPIO=0/WAKE_ON_GPIO=1/" pieeprom.bin

ukretro

Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:34 am

I have a Serial UART cable and the capability to create capture logs but the POE hat doesn't have any connections or pass-through exposed on the top surface.

I've tried inserting a GPIO header with the UART wires connected to it into the holes in the top of the hat but can't get a connection to the header pins underneath.

I'm not sure how I can connect the UART cable at the same time as the hat, short of cutting off the pin-connectors and wrapping the wires around the Ground, TX and RX pins but that would a waste of a working cable.

Brabus453

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:42 pm

Any update ??

jamesh

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:05 pm

Currently awaiting a returned Pi and PoE HAT to test as we have been unable to replicate this in the office. Its on it way!
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

jamesh

Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:43 pm

OK, thanks to a returned PoE HAT we think we know what this is.

Can those people who are seeing the problem please try this new bootloader and see if it fixes the problem for them? It certainly fixed the issue with the returned device.

New bootloader https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 7&t=246027

Thanks to Steven Boelens for the returned devices.

James

smooger

Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:09 pm

jamesh wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:43 pm
OK, thanks to a returned PoE HAT we think we know what this is.

Can those people who are seeing the problem please try this new bootloader and see if it fixes the problem for them? It certainly fixed the issue with the returned device.

New bootloader https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 7&t=246027

Thanks to Steven Boelens for the returned devices.

James
Thx James, new bootloader fixes the issue for me, at least on the one Pi 4 I've tested it on.

I'll update my other Pi4 this evening, when I won't get screamed at for breaking the internet.....

Thx again!!

geerlingguy

Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:20 pm

I formatted a spare microSD card as FAT32 using diskutil on my Mac:

diskutil eraseDisk FAT32 RASPBIAN MBRFormat disk2
Then I copied the contents of the Zip file linked above to it, and put it in a powered-off Pi with the PoE HAT. After about 1 second the green LED on the front was blinking rapidly, so it seems like the bootloader was updated successfully. I waited 10 seconds still, just to follow the directions in the README.

I powered off the Pi by unplugging the network cable, then I put back in the normal boot microSD card.

After it turned on, I logged in via SSH and ran:

sudo shutdown -h now
After a few seconds, watching the LEDs on the front, I saw the shutdown sequence (red LED blips off then on, green LED flashes quickly 10 times).

However, one nit: the connection and activity LEDs on the LAN port on the back of the Pi stay lit now, even after shutdown. On the Pi 3 B+ I remember those LEDs would also power off after I shut down the Pi (it was a handy way for me to see if they were truly powered down—since after that 10 green LED flash, it's not obvious looking at the front red/green LEDs if the Pi is actually shut down or just idle...).
My personal site: http://jeffgeerling.com/

jamesh

Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:25 pm

geerlingguy wrote:
However, one nit: the connection and activity LEDs on the LAN port on the back of the Pi stay lit now, even after shutdown. On the Pi 3 B+ I remember those LEDs would also power off after I shut down the Pi (it was a handy way for me to see if they were truly powered down—since after that 10 green LED flash, it's not obvious looking at the front red/green LEDs if the Pi is actually shut down or just idle...).
Probably a side effect of having to leave more stuff turned on in the shutdown state. I'll pass on the nit!

timg236

Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:41 pm

jamesh wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:25 pm
geerlingguy wrote:
Probably a side effect of having to leave more stuff turned on in the shutdown state. I'll pass on the nit!
Yes, the ethernet PHY will be enabled and there is no way to pull the reset on just the ethernet PHY. It might be possible to do an internal power off via MDIO but the current bootloader doesn't touch the ethernet controller at all.

Steven Boelens

Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:21 am

Excellent!
I just tried the new firmware and that fixes the problem for me (RPi4 with PoE HAT and Ubiquiti Unifi PoE 60W switch).

Thanks for solving this tricky problem.
Steven Boelens.

jamesh

Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:55 am

Steven Boelens wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:21 am
Excellent!
I just tried the new firmware and that fixes the problem for me (RPi4 with PoE HAT and Ubiquiti Unifi PoE 60W switch).

Thanks for solving this tricky problem.
Steven Boelens.
Thanks for your help! Will be sending stuff back to you today. Can you email me with your postal address please.

Brabus453

Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:07 am

Same here.

Worked on Pi4 B with PoE HAT V2. and Ubiquiti Unifi PoE 60W switch

thanks a lot !

fwjavox

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:44 am

timg236 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:31 am
To enable logging download the bootloader update from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

sed -i -e "s/BOOT_UART=0/BOOT_UART=1/" pieeprom.bin
Then update as normal using the instructions in the README
Could you please update the documentation at https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... bootmodes/?
It took me some time to find out why the old way does not work anymore.

jamesh

Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:50 am

Is it just the name bootcode.bin in that docs page that is wrong, and needs to be changed for the Pi4? Or are there other issues?

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”