shusain93

USB Motors?

Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:38 am

I don't really want to get into GPIO because you can destroy the borad if you plug it in wrong. So I'm here asking if there any USB motors that are for purchase.
Any ideas?

joan

Re: USB Motors?

Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:56 am

You can probably buy add on boards which allow motors to be controlled by usb. People seem to spend a lot of effort and money to protect their Pis. Sometimes I wonder if it would be cheaper just to blow up a few Pis.

scruss

Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:38 pm

The thing is, no matter how you choose to control your motors, you'll need a separate power source to drive the motors. You could control the motors through an Arduino with a motor shield, accepting serial commands through USB from the Raspberry Pi. Alternatively, something like one of the boards from The Control Shop might work — though I don't see any details about Linux drivers on their website.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

Rodney Wertz

Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:13 pm

Lego sells a USB controller for their motors. Scratch will come up wiith the control options if it is plugged in. It is in the WeGo product line.

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”