rickm

Idea for the DVB TV Hat - capturing old videos / digicams - will this work?

Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:19 am

So I'm in the middle of planning how I'm going to digitise a ton of old family VCR's and Digicam footage, and had an idea.

I've seen RCA/Scart > to RF adaptors (like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/T9-MODULATOR-S ... B00FJ1WSY6) around and wanted to run an idea by you guys.

My thinking is, I can plug an old digicam or vcr into a device like the one above, set a channel, and plug that into the DVB hat, and then capture the video, recording it to digital.

Is this likely to work or am I missing some critical component?

The only thing I've not nailed down is what'd be used to record the footage. I used TVHeadend a few years ago and remember it had some sort of recording option, but seem to remember having to set it up using the EPG, which there wouldn't be. So would TVHeadend be usable for this, or is there a better option that anyones aware of?

Thanks!

rpdom

Re: Idea for the DVB TV Hat - capturing old videos / digicams - will this work?

Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:56 am

rickm wrote:
My thinking is, I can plug an old digicam or vcr into a device like the one above, set a channel, and plug that into the DVB hat, and then capture the video, recording it to digital.

The device you show will output an Analogue TV signal. The DVB HAT can only receive (unless I've very wrong) Digital TV signals.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:56 am

rickm wrote:
So I'm in the middle of planning how I'm going to digitise a ton of old family VCR's and Digicam footage, and had an idea.

I've seen RCA/Scart > to RF adaptors (like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/T9-MODULATOR-S ... B00FJ1WSY6) around and wanted to run an idea by you guys.

The only thing I've not nailed down is what'd be used to record the footage. I used TVHeadend a few years ago and remember it had some sort of recording option, but seem to remember having to set it up using the EPG, which there wouldn't be. So would TVHeadend be usable for this, or is there a better option that anyones aware of?

Thanks!

Most VCR have Scart Out so would need a Scart to AV adaptor:
41WE3iKuMFL._SY355_.jpg

USB Composite Video Capture Device or alternative:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=229272#p1405851
Retired disgracefully.....

rpdom

Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:59 am

There are some USB devices that will take a composite video input. Some should work with the Pi. They have RCA video input, might even have audio too. I might have a poke around in my parts box as I have a feeling I may have one.

DougieLawson

Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:01 am

It's not possible with a DVB HAT as that's just a digital TV tuner with an SPI interface. It is not a digitiser.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

hippy

Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:47 pm

rickm wrote:
I've seen RCA/Scart > to RF adaptors... I can plug an old digicam or vcr into a device like the one above, set a channel, and plug that into the DVB hat, and then capture the video, recording it to digital.

Won't work. What the RF adapter puts out is incompatible with what the DVB hat will accept as input.

If instead of instead of plugging your composite video and audio signals into an RF adapter you plugged those into a DVB transmitter it would probably work, but those are far from cheap.

What you want is a USB composite video digitizer which can take the composite video and audio direct which the Pi can then use. A forum search might help identify a suitable digitising device.

mooblie

Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:57 pm

Agreed - sadly this won't work. The TV-HAT is for digital DVB Broadcast signals only. You won't be able to convert your old VHS recordings etc. into that format. You need another capture device as mentioned above to capture either composite video or UHF analogue TV signals.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:05 pm

hippy wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:47 pm
rickm wrote:
I've seen RCA/Scart > to RF adaptors... I can plug an old digicam or vcr into a device like the one above, set a channel, and plug that into the DVB hat, and then capture the video, recording it to digital.

Won't work. What the RF adapter puts out is incompatible with what the DVB hat will accept as input.

If instead of instead of plugging your composite video and audio signals into an RF adapter you plugged those into a DVB transmitter it would probably work, but those are far from cheap.

What you want is a USB composite video digitizer which can take the composite video and audio direct which the Pi can then use. A forum search might help identify a suitable digitising device.

Yes suggested a USB Capture Device above :roll:
Retired disgracefully.....

gordon77

Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:53 pm

You could use a dvb-t modulator to generate a digital rf signal BUT ensure its compatible before you spend your money!

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”