tonygo2

PiFace

Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:24 pm

I have just received my PiFace board (#0295). It looks great and appears to be the new Mk2 version with 8 LEDs on the output side, 7 little jumpers and a large plastic blob on the bottom to stop it rocking/shorting things on the RPi board.

Unfortunately there is no documentation. What do the jumpers control? I've looked at Gordon's Projects and found references to using the earlier version of the board but found them a bit daunting.

https://projects.drogon.net/raspberry-pi/wiringpiface/

As someone who has just finished building a Gertboard and controlling it from Python this looks rather more complicated. (I also have an Arduino which I have found very easy to control - but that has loads of help and advice on the Net.) I do hope that the creators at Manchester will put out some SIMPLE instructions so that we can start using it with Python. (I do not want to be learning C in parallel to Python - confusion will be the result.)

tonygo2

PiFace - Documentation

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:33 am

I received this information from Andrew Robinson which will help those of you with access to a Pi-Face.

"We're still in the process of writing documentation. Our current work in progress is available from

https://github.com/thomasmacpherson/piface

Code and links to tutorials are also there.

With regard to the jumpers, still writing the exact wording but in summary,

JP1 (A0) and JP2 (A1) set the address of the SPI decode -- it's possible to stack multiple PiFace boards together and these jumper set the address to distinguish between boards.

JP3 connects to 5V rail on Raspberry Pi. With it, Raspberry Pi can be powered from the 5V connection on the PiFace, or the PiFace can be powered from the Raspberry Pi.

JP4 connects the snubber diodes from the ULN2803A to 5V. -- Summary, if open-collector outputs are connected to > 5V this must be disconnected.

JP5,JP6 connects relays to outputs -- remove to disable.

JP7 connects power to all onboard outputs (i.e. power for relays and
leds)

I'd hope to have a proper 'getting started' document out in the next week -- we're currently still talking with teachers to determine the level to pitch it at."

Element 14 will soon be supplying fully built Pi-Face and Gertboards. Follow the link to express an interest.

http://piregistration.element14.com/signup.html

gordon@drogon.net

Re: PiFace

Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:08 pm

tonygo2 wrote:I have just received my PiFace board (#0295). It looks great and appears to be the new Mk2 version with 8 LEDs on the output side, 7 little jumpers and a large plastic blob on the bottom to stop it rocking/shorting things on the RPi board.

Unfortunately there is no documentation. What do the jumpers control? I've looked at Gordon's Projects and found references to using the earlier version of the board but found them a bit daunting.

As someone who has just finished building a Gertboard and controlling it from Python this looks rather more complicated. (I also have an Arduino which I have found very easy to control - but that has loads of help and advice on the Net.) I do hope that the creators at Manchester will put out some SIMPLE instructions so that we can start using it with Python. (I do not want to be learning C in parallel to Python - confusion will be the result.)
The Rev 2 works the same as the Rev 1 does - from a software point of view. So if you want to play with it, the additions to wiringPi I did, as well as the gpio program work right away.

-Gordon
--
Gordons projects: https://projects.drogon.net/

bulletmark

Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:10 am

The PiFace Mk2 board is just perfect for a project I have planned for my recently acquired Pi. Does anybody have any idea when Element14 will start selling it?

bantammenace2012

Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:34 pm

With a name like PiFace surely there's a promotional link for Element 14 to be made with The Beano.
They are always giving away great competition prizes and I would imagine in the UK that there's quite a cross-over between owners/users of the RPi and readers of The Beano. And I don't just mean kids !!
Perhaps they could be commissioned to produce an RPi Piface edition? If its good enough for Jessica Ennis its good enough for Liz, Eben et al.

Using Scratch, RPi and Piface I'm looking to drive two motors to send semaphore signals.
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Paddle2See/822989

killor

Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:54 pm

tonygo2 wrote:I have just received my PiFace board (#0295). It looks great and appears to be the new Mk2 version with 8 LEDs on the output side, 7 little jumpers and a large plastic blob on the bottom to stop it rocking/shorting things on the RPi board.

I'd like to make a case for this new PCB with the Raspberry Pi.
Could you post a pdf with measures Piface connectors, etc.?

Thank you very much
We have a discount for purchases made in ETSY site :o
Discount Codes :MAYTHE4TH :!:

killor

Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:36 pm

Now ,I have my first ready case to accommodate a Piface PCB.
Piface_box11.jpg
Raspi face box
Piface_box11.jpg (57.15 KiB) Viewed 5955 times
I had to lengthen the pads with a wooden keys.
Piface_box9.jpg
Piface case woodkeyboard
Piface_box9.jpg (51.86 KiB) Viewed 5955 times
We have a discount for purchases made in ETSY site :o
Discount Codes :MAYTHE4TH :!:

jets

Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:20 pm

Hmm. It looks like the Piface does not work with ComPi 1-wire+rs232-add on board. Any advice? I tried changing JP1 to On setting.

I am trying to use the relays by:
/root/wiringPi/gpio/gpio -p write 201 1
..and so on..

Should I use something different? It works fine with different Rpi and different setup. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I installed wiringpi and other stuff without Piface installed in the Rpi that has difficulties..

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”