Peternarbus

HAT UNDERNEATH Pi 3 Model 3+?

Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:46 am

Hello,

I need to add a HAT on the BOTTOM side of the Pi 3 Model 3+. Is there a way to do this? Can I buy the Pi without the I/O connector, or with it installed on the bottom instead of the top?

Thanks,

rpdom

Re: HAT UNDERNEATH Pi 3 Model 3+?

Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:32 am

The only way to do this would be to remove the connector yourself, if you have the right tools and skills, or to pay someone to do it for you. The 3B+'s connector is fitted in the factory and it wouldn't be worth changing the production line to produce a small number without connectors.

Imperf3kt

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:34 am

I had this same idea for a project with a Pi0 - decided to call it a shoe.

You can push the pins through the GPIO by removing the plastic strip (friction fit) and, heating the solder while applying a small amount of pressure.

The problem here is that you'll also have to do the same to your hat, as the connector will be on the wrong side of the PCB and the order will be reversed.

Alternatively, connect the hat with an old 40 connector IDE ribbon cable (NOT the newer 80 connector type which uses the same header)
Stop plugging your fan directly into the GPIO 5v
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/power/transient-suppression.html

aBUGSworstnightmare

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:33 am

Can you provide more details why you can't put it on top?

There are stackable headers available which would allow for adding two HAT's on top (or maybe even more).

Peternarbus

Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:00 am

Thank you. That's a good idea. After removing the plastic strip, I can melt the solder and push the pins through, or remove them and replace with a new header.

Imperf3kt wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:34 am
I had this same idea for a project with a Pi0 - decided to call it a shoe.

You can push the pins through the GPIO by removing the plastic strip (friction fit) and, heating the solder while applying a small amount of pressure.

The problem here is that you'll also have to do the same to your hat, as the connector will be on the wrong side of the PCB and the order will be reversed.

Alternatively, connect the hat with an old 40 connector IDE ribbon cable (NOT the newer 80 connector type which uses the same header)

travellingkiwi

Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:51 pm

Spring contacts maybe and screw the boards together with the right sized standoffs?

Anyone ever seen a 40-pin spring contact? Does such a beat exist?

H

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”