StephanBradley

Stepper Motor Hat v0.1 not found

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:12 am

I am pretty new and have installed the above referenced HAT. I followed the instructions, but it is not detected.

I have power and a green LED on the board and when I turn it on and off the servos jump a bit, so it seems like it is physically OK. I have enabled I2C, but it doesn't show up.

I am using RPi 3 B+ with the latest Raspbian install. I am pretty new, so let me know what other info I need to provide here. I see this is a common topic and it usually seems to be a power issue, but I am pretty sure that is not my issue.

Thanks,
Stephan

https://goo.gl/images/NeSDQD

pcmanbob

Re: Stepper Motor Hat v0.1 not found

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:24 pm

This thread suggests you need a separate power supply connected to the hat.

viewtopic.php?t=203456
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

StephanBradley

Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:22 pm

I have a separate power supply installed, see image:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mEBul ... v5KR4P6SYC

From image above:
5v @ two blue screws (upper left). One servo on 0 & 1(PMW/Servo pins). Using latest version of Raspian

did: sudo apt-get install -y python-smbus and sudo apt-get install -y i2c-tools, then enabled i2c in rasp-config

With Pi shut down and power removed, installed HAT (just drops on top and pushed down on 2x20 pins), powered HAT, powered and booted Pi.

I then installed the Python tools that came with the unit from wget sourceforge.net/projects/u-geek/files/HATs/Raspi_MotorHAT/Ra spi_MotorHAT.tar but that doesn't seem to impact the config or allow the HAT to show up when I use sudo i2cdetect -y 1

StephanBradley

Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:39 am

I didn't get any answers, so I tried the random things method. It seems to work now and I have the addresses needed for the servos from ic2detect.

Solution: you MUST boot up the Pi with the HAT installed but the power OFF. Then put the power to the HAT and the Pi seems to suddenly recognize the device. Not sure why at all, so I can't provide a more detailed answer.

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”