Page 11 of 14

Re: PoE HAT - USB Ports not working - over-current

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:45 am
by martinrowan
Maybe of interest to people here with their PoE HATs: PoE HAT Fan Hysteresis - Now implemented

Re: PoE HAT - USB Ports not working - over-current

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:36 am
by weust
In the beginning of this topic there was the option (being looked into, iirc) to solder your own fix once the problem/solution had been found.
Is that still a possibility now the solution has been found?

Re: PoE HAT - USB Ports not working - over-current

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:37 pm
by jamesh
weust wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:36 am
In the beginning of this topic there was the option (being looked into, iirc) to solder your own fix once the problem/solution had been found.
Is that still a possibility now the solution has been found?
The official fix is a small PCB soldered on top of the PoE HAT. I do not know if this will be sold separately, but it looks like a bit of a job to fit it. It might be posible to DIY you own solution, I hope that will be something that appears in the blog post when it arrives.

Re: PoE HAT - USB Ports not working - over-current

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:33 pm
by weust
That would be nice. If it can't I will contact the reseller anyway.
Had hold off for now because shipping costs :)

Re: PoE HAT - USB Ports not working - over-current

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:25 am
by The_Raven
weust wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:36 am
In the beginning of this topic there was the option (being looked into, iirc) to solder your own fix once the problem/solution had been found.
Is that still a possibility now the solution has been found?
On page 9 i posted a video how we fixed the hat. My hat runs since then fine. But a "official" fix would be nice.

Re: PoE HAT - USB Ports not working - over-current

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:38 am
by jamesh
The_Raven wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:25 am
weust wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:36 am
In the beginning of this topic there was the option (being looked into, iirc) to solder your own fix once the problem/solution had been found.
Is that still a possibility now the solution has been found?
On page 9 i posted a video how we fixed the hat. My hat runs since then fine. But a "official" fix would be nice.
It is fixed, officially, just waiting for production to catch up. Should be a blog post soon.

Re: PoE HAT - USB Ports not working - over-current

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:35 pm
by the_ewan
So the 'version 1' hats will be fixed by adding a new board to them, and then there'll be a 'version 2' that doesn't need the extra board?

Or will PoE hats for the foreseeable future be the v1+fix design?

Re: PoE HAT - USB Ports not working - over-current

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:29 pm
by jamesh
the_ewan wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:35 pm
So the 'version 1' hats will be fixed by adding a new board to them, and then there'll be a 'version 2' that doesn't need the extra board?

Or will PoE hats for the foreseeable future be the v1+fix design?
The former.

Re: PoE HAT - USB Ports not working - over-current

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:13 am
by weust
The_Raven wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:25 am
weust wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:36 am
In the beginning of this topic there was the option (being looked into, iirc) to solder your own fix once the problem/solution had been found.
Is that still a possibility now the solution has been found?
On page 9 i posted a video how we fixed the hat. My hat runs since then fine. But a "official" fix would be nice.
I know. My question was regarding the official fix.
Just waiting for the blog now.

Re: PoE HAT - USB Ports not working - over-current

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:00 pm
by The_Raven
weust wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:13 am
Just waiting for the blog now.
3 Months later... :P

Re: PoE HAT - USB Ports not working - over-current

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:13 pm
by the_ewan
jamesh wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:28 pm
We'll be publishing a blog post soon
Seven weeks to the day since that blog post was coming soon.

Nice to know it's still coming soon, so if present trends continue I guess we're looking at the 19th of December. PoE christmas decorations, everyone?

Re: PoE HAT - USB Ports not working - over-current

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:47 pm
by jamesh
the_ewan wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:13 pm
jamesh wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:28 pm
We'll be publishing a blog post soon
Seven weeks to the day since that blog post was coming soon.

Nice to know it's still coming soon, so if present trends continue I guess we're looking at the 19th of December. PoE christmas decorations, everyone?
People can continue with the sarcasm, or they can just be patient and wait.

I have a recommendation. Guess which one it is.

Re: PoE HAT - USB Ports not working - over-current

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:52 pm
by the_ewan
Image

Re: PoE HAT - USB Ports not working - over-current

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:53 pm
by mic_s
About 7000 brand new PoE Hats arrived and are now on the way to resellers.
.

Re: PoE HAT - USB Ports not working - over-current

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:24 am
by pantner
mic_s wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:53 pm
About 7000 brand new PoE Hats arrived and are now on the way to resellers.
.
That's really great. Looking forward to seeing them 'in the wild' and getting a new one :D

Re: PoE HAT - USB Ports not working - over-current

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:57 am
by jamesh
mic_s wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:53 pm
About 7000 brand new PoE Hats arrived and are now on the way to resellers.
.
Just out of interest, how do you know that?

(Note these are modified ones from the original batch, although technically brand new, they are not the ones with a new PCB)

Re: PoE HAT - USB Ports not working - over-current

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:49 pm
by mic_s
jamesh wrote:Just out of interest, how do you know that?
Yesterday Eben Upton on twitter:
„ … 7,600 units arrived with us yesterday. They'll be shipped to Approved Resellers this week, so a good chance of some availability next week.“
I'm not envolved in the details. May be he meant the modified ones from the original batch and not the ones with a new PCB. If so, they are in fact not brand-new.
Anyway: Problem solved.
.

Re: PoE HAT - USB Ports not working - over-current

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:55 am
by jamesh
mic_s wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:49 pm
jamesh wrote:Just out of interest, how do you know that?
Yesterday Eben Upton on twitter:
„ … 7,600 units arrived with us yesterday. They'll be shipped to Approved Resellers this week, so a good chance of some availability next week.“
I'm not envolved in the details. May be he meant the modified ones from the original batch and not the ones with a new PCB. If so, they are in fact not brand-new.
Anyway: Problem solved.
.
Thanks. I really must follow Eben on Twitter, that way I'd know what was public and what wasn't! Even the engineer who is in charge of the PoE stuf didn't know he had posted this!

They are brand new, just modified prior to hitting the channel.

Re: PoE HAT - USB Ports not working - over-current

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:04 pm
by DjoeC
Any sign of the new HAT's in the retail channel and/or any info on how to physically recognize the new version?

Re: PoE HAT - USB Ports not working - over-current

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:45 pm
by jamesh
DjoeC wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:04 pm
Any sign of the new HAT's in the retail channel and/or any info on how to physically recognize the new version?
Modified boards have a daughter board on the PCB. I didn't even spot it when I looked first time, but its actually quite large, so once you know wht to look for, very obvious.

Version 2 PCB's won't be out for a while as we need to get through stock of the modded board first.

Re: PoE HAT - USB Ports not working - over-current

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:39 pm
by sentinl
jamesh wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:45 pm
DjoeC wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:04 pm
Any sign of the new HAT's in the retail channel and/or any info on how to physically recognize the new version?
Modified boards have a daughter board on the PCB. I didn't even spot it when I looked first time, but its actually quite large, so once you know wht to look for, very obvious.

Version 2 PCB's won't be out for a while as we need to get through stock of the modded board first.
Will the blog post detail how to obtain the fix even though we bought this hat months ago? Or are we going to have to fight with the resellers to replace the hat?

Re: PoE HAT - USB Ports not working - over-current

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:29 pm
by anssi_s
sentinl wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:39 pm
Will the blog post detail how to obtain the fix even though we bought this hat months ago? Or are we going to have to fight with the resellers to replace the hat?
Considering the general lack of communication from the RPi foundation, I wouldn't hold my breath.

As for the replacements I guess the amount of fighting required depends on the reseller. I tried to get a refund from mine but they asked me to wait and today told me they're shipping me a new one and I got a shipping notification too. Very happy with the service.

Re: PoE HAT - USB Ports not working - over-current

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:15 pm
by jamesh
anssi_s wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:29 pm
sentinl wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:39 pm
Will the blog post detail how to obtain the fix even though we bought this hat months ago? Or are we going to have to fight with the resellers to replace the hat?
Considering the general lack of communication from the RPi foundation, I wouldn't hold my breath.

As for the replacements I guess the amount of fighting required depends on the reseller. I tried to get a refund from mine but they asked me to wait and today told me they're shipping me a new one and I got a shipping notification too. Very happy with the service.
What communication would you like? We've told everyone there is a problem, and that we have fixed it, we've the channel is being refilled with fixed boards, and they should be going out to customers now.

Edit: Actually, going out soon, not now. Should be a blog post soon with more details.

Re: PoE HAT - USB Ports not working - over-current

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:05 pm
by the_ewan
What communication would you like?
A blog post. Probably some tweets. Plus an update to the original PoE hat launch blog pointing to the new blog post.
We've told everyone there is a problem
In a forum thread, if they happen to find it.

If the TV hat had been launched with a comment in the forums then it might have looked like someone at the foundation honestly believed they were channels with equivalent visibility. But no, it launched with a blog post, a bunch of tweets, and some co-ordinated promo with the major retailers.

Because that's what you do when you want people to notice something.

Re: PoE HAT - USB Ports not working - over-current

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:32 pm
by jamesh
the_ewan wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:05 pm
What communication would you like?
A blog post. Probably some tweets. Plus an update to the original PoE hat launch blog pointing to the new blog post.
We've told everyone there is a problem
In a forum thread, if they happen to find it.

If the TV hat had been launched with a comment in the forums then it might have looked like someone at the foundation honestly believed they were channels with equivalent visibility. But no, it launched with a blog post, a bunch of tweets, and some co-ordinated promo with the major retailers.

Because that's what you do when you want people to notice something.
I've passed on your comments to the boss and the comms team.