exartemarte

Re: Gertboard Assembly Thread

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:07 pm

alexeames wrote:I didn't want to push them all the way through the board as I think you're not supposed to solder LEDs nearer than the tags (although I may be wrong about that).
You're probably right, although I didn't know that. I've always soldered them flat to the board, and I haven't had a failure yet. I agree with Gert's advice to solder one leg and then straighten the device up before soldering any more - I do this with most components, especially LEDs, vertically mounted capacitors and transistors.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:25 pm

In case anyone's interested, there's a whole set of photos here...

http://raspi.tv/2012/my-gertboard-is-completed

...including a couple of very ugly SMT resistor soldering jobs. :lol:
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

carlvk

Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:55 pm

Aarrrrgh Ihave left the tandy instructions at work
Does anyone have the time to scan and post or link please
The official instructions are slightly different and I need to identify the tandy components

:oops:
Carlvk
Pi killer

exartemarte

Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:27 pm

carlvk wrote:Aarrrrgh Ihave left the tandy instructions at work
Does anyone have the time to scan and post or link please
The official instructions are slightly different and I need to identify the tandy components
:oops:
I presume you don't need the photograph: Tandy Instr

carlvk

Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:42 pm

Awesome!
Thank you so much I was about get in the car and go and open up the offices. 30 mile round trip!
That is exactly what I needed Exartemarte thank you
Carlvk
Pi killer

exartemarte

Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:45 pm

You're welcome.

exartemarte

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:05 pm

I've made a start. The first of the 0805 devices - my first ever - took several attempts and about five minutes, but eventually I got the hang of it. I'm glad I waited for the 0.4mm solder, but my 25W Antex iron was fine. Like el10t I found my magnifying lamp was a great help. Needless to say one of the 0805 devices shot off out of the tweezers - eventually I gave up looking for it, then spotted it purely by chance about ten minutes later.

The SMD and the IC sockets are done - I'll tackle the rest tomorrow.
Last edited by exartemarte on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mister_wavey

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:06 pm

I assembled mine today, but I've got some problems. I had a successful 3.33v on the post-assembly test, but I can't get LED 1 or 3 to light. I'll go back over my (pretty rubbish) soldering and try and remelt each connection to see if I can fix it. I tried to make sure the LEDs were inserted correctly, but is there a way (post solder and trim) to tell if the LED is inserted incorrectly?

I also tried unsuccessfully with a toy motor but it didn't wake up with the motor test program - are there restrictions to the type of motor that'll work with the board, or is that likely down to my connection probs too?

exartemarte

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:10 pm

mister_wavey wrote:[..] is there a way (post solder and trim) to tell if the LED is inserted incorrectly?
There's normally a ridge around the base that has a small flat on one side - not very obvious unless you're looking for it. All your flats should be on the same side.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:30 pm

gordon@drogon.net wrote:Just a quick note to say that I'm working on some test software for the Gertboard myself - more centred round the ATmega though - Gert has a lot of software already though.

If you're looking to make the ATmega go, then start here:

https://projects.drogon.net/raspberry-pi/gertboard/

although I plan to move some of it into GIT at some point, but that page will have the links to whatever is there. In particular is the 'avrsetup' script I've written - your ATmega will be running at 1MHz until you run that script!

-Gordon
Thanks for your work on this Gordon. I'm nearly ready to test the ATMEGA. Will have a look at this soon. :)

Gert van Loo

Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:18 pm

mister_wavey wrote:I assembled mine today, but I've got some problems. I had a successful 3.33v on the post-assembly test, but I can't get LED 1 or 3 to light. I'll go back over my (pretty rubbish) soldering and try and remelt each connection to see if I can fix it. I tried to make sure the LEDs were inserted correctly, but is there a way (post solder and trim) to tell if the LED is inserted incorrectly?

I also tried unsuccessfully with a toy motor but it didn't wake up with the motor test program - are there restrictions to the type of motor that'll work with the board, or is that likely down to my connection probs too?
The motor controller specification says minimum 12V but I have had no problems with 9V.

mister_wavey

Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:16 pm

OK, I went over each solder joint on the underside again and now I have perfect LEDs and even more exciting, a perfect AVR blink! Thanks Gert! Thanks Gordon! Thanks Tandy!

PS arduino will fail to upload if you leave the jumpers on the IO buffers. Gordon mentions this in his writeup. It caught me out, and I thought I'd broken the atmel chip.

cross-keys

Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:18 am

Gertboard kit arrived yesterday lunchtime and I spent the afternoon building it.

I used a Weller PS-3D iron like this one:

http://www.mostlyaudio.com/soldering1.html

22swg 60/40 solder (RS 555-235)

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/solders/0555235

- and a solder sucker, which I used a lot, to tidy up blobby SMT joints!

I struggled with the SMT components, having never done those before. A strong magnifying glass was very useful for checking the components once soldered.

Tweezers didn't help me, but slightly long fingernails did, as they could hold the component against the PCB while it was soldered. The trick is definitely to only solder one side until you are 100% happy with the location of the component, then solder the other side, then solder-suck the 'blob' on the first side to tidy it up.

Once the SMTs were done, everything else was pretty easy.

Before you start, be sure to read "Gertboard_Assembly_Manual_Rev1.1_F.pdf" thoroughly. The Tandy information sheet is useful for telling you which SMT components are which, but the photo is of limited use.

The 'resonator' can be soldered in either way round (I looked this up as I wasn't 100% sure).

Be sure the LEDs are fitted the correct way round. I trial-fitted one on long leads to double-check first. When finally fitting them, I left a gap of about 4mm between the board and the body of the LED, as I think they look better that way.

The tags on the pushbuttons were a bit of a pain to bend to fit into the holes, some careful use of long-nose pliers was required.

The Tandy component packaging was excellent, and really helped determine which SMT component was which. Do fit these in the order in the kit, and don't open the 'bubble' for an item before the previous item has been soldered to the board.

Having now built the board, I'm trying to understand how it works!

Good luck :)

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:23 pm

cross-keys wrote:Having now built the board, I'm trying to understand how it works!

Good luck :)
Working through the test programs is a good exercise in familiarisation. I have to admit I've kind of glossed over the technicalities in the manual and followed the instructions and diagrams to run the test programs. I'll come back to the technicalities of how the programs work a little later. It is interesting, but a lot to take in at once for a non-expert. Credit to the authors for writing it in a way that you can do that. :D

Does anyone know if the python versions of the test programs are ready or, if not, when they will be? I've been learning python, but not that keen to get into C as well right now. Too much at once for the poor old noggin. :lol: Would be nice to be able to tweak the programs. (I might look at the C source code if I feel brave).

cross-keys

Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:59 pm

alexeames wrote: Working through the test programs is a good exercise in familiarisation.
I quite agree, and have been doing this today - along with studying the Gertboard schematics carefully.

While ordering the kit from Tandy, I also ordered 1 x 276-157 (100mm Female to Female Jumper Wires) @ £1.24 and 1 x 276-156 (Male to Female Jumper Wires) @ £1.66

These jumper wires are very useful when working with the Gertboard, and for the small additional cost are well worth having!

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Using Gordon's excellent version of the Arduino IDE, I can happily say that every part of my Gertboard is working. I haven't tested every single connection, but each system is working as it should.

First time trying to upload a sketch, I missed the part in the manual on page 30 where it tells you "For IDE version 1.0.1, you will also have go to the Tools > Programmer menu and choose “Raspberry Pi GPIO”."

I wondered why it gave me some kind of "no usb device attached" error until I went back and reread that page. :lol:

exartemarte

Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:01 pm

I'm encouraged, reading about these working Gertboards. I finished constructing mine this afternoon, but then, unfortunately, I had to be elsewhere so testing has to wait until tomorrow.

carlvk

Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:28 am

Well I got mine finished in about 3hrs. I actually found the whole thing including the SMD's much easier than I thought it would be.
I am using a 60w adjustable soldering station that I bought from Amazon for about £40.

I used a magnifier and tweezers for the tiniest of the SMD's using the tin-one-side-of-the-pad-and-apply-the-SMD-to-the-blob-and-reheat-the-blob method. I found the component was drawn toward the solder when the temp was right if I let it.
Fitting the IC's was helped by putting the chip on the table on its side and gently rolling it over until the pins were at ~90 degrees both sides before placing on the socket, and a small set of long nose pliers helped to align the button pins.

Testing was a bit harder I couldn't run the programs.
I got sick of seeing "bash command not found" but I am a linux noob.
Eventually i worked out that if I chose the right directory and put "sudo ./" infront of the right program it worked Yaaay!
I do think that this part of the instructions could be plainer for the hard of thought like me ;)

However I'm now stuck with the ATmega chip.
I have installed the Arduino program and tried to follow Gordon's very clear instructions, but whenever I run the " sudo ./setup.sh" command I get an avrdude message asking if I have the right version......

Aaargh I have it now! There are several versions on the page. Why didn't I see that last night?
Its amazing what a good nights sleep will do.....

Senior moment over( for now). :oops: I am running the latest Raspbian “wheezy” image . I could do with a definitive nudge to the right files, please.
Carlvk
Pi killer

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:56 am

From https://projects.drogon.net/raspberry-p ... ation-isp/
Standard Debian Squeeze:

cd /tmp
wget http://project-downloads.drogon.net/ger ... _armel.deb
sudo dpkg -i avrdude_5.10-4_armel.deb
sudo chmod 4755 /usr/bin/avrdude

Debian Raspbian:

cd /tmp
wget http://project-downloads.drogon.net/ger ... _armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i avrdude_5.10-4_armhf.deb
sudo chmod 4755 /usr/bin/avrdude
You need to have installed the second set of instructions for Raspbian hard float. After that the script should work. Did you install the first lot?

carlvk

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:43 am

alexeames wrote:From https://projects.drogon.net/raspberry-p ... ation-isp/

Hack/Slash
You need to have installed the second set of instructions for Raspbian hard float. After that the script should work. Did you install the first lot?
Probably, I had gone past the point where I should have quit.
I was also having trouble with "Pi2" the new rev2 board delivered Friday.
I had it all set up on the new pi then I kept getting corrupt SD cards and keyboard errors as well as struggling with the programming. I was pretty frazzled by the time I had set up Pi1 with a new install and got my first few tests under my belt. When I got to the ATmega set-up and it hadn't worked for the third time I threw in the towel and went to bed.

Today's goal run a servo from the ATmega and set up Pi2 completely stock.
oh yes and work I should do some work :oops:
Carlvk
Pi killer

mister_wavey

Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:01 pm

Gert van Loo wrote: The motor controller specification says minimum 12V but I have had no problems with 9V.
I've tried a second motor (both spin happily with 9V across them) but on the gertboard I can't get more than a flicker of life out of them. I measured 0.0V across the MOTA and MOTB outputs before the motor test program is run, and 0.1V to 0.2V while the program is running.

Where should I look first to check the cause of that?

gordon@drogon.net

Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:11 pm

mister_wavey wrote:
Gert van Loo wrote: The motor controller specification says minimum 12V but I have had no problems with 9V.
I've tried a second motor (both spin happily with 9V across them) but on the gertboard I can't get more than a flicker of life out of them. I measured 0.0V across the MOTA and MOTB outputs before the motor test program is run, and 0.1V to 0.2V while the program is running.

Where should I look first to check the cause of that?
Just a quick note to say that the Lego motors I used on the Gertboard were all 9volts too, so I'd go back, double check the connections, soldering, etc.

Simple test is to connect the 2 motor Pins; MotA and MotB to GP17 and GP18, then use the gpio program to check:

gpio mode 0 out ; gpio mode 1 out
gpio write 0 0 ; gpio write 1 1

that ought to turn it on - swap the outputs to reverse direction:

gpio write 0 1 ; gpio write 1 0

both low = stop, both high = stop, you need one low and one high to make the motor turn.

-Gordon

(wiringPi Pins 0 and 1 are GPIO pins 17 & 18 respectively, you can use the -g flag to gpio if you want to use the native GPIO pin numbers - e.g. gpio -g write 17 0)
--
Gordons projects: https://projects.drogon.net/

mister_wavey

Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:31 pm

hmm, thx - no different.

With the multimeter, should I be able to register a connection across each of the surface mounted C11, C13 and C12? I can across C11, but not across either of C13 or C12.

mister_wavey

Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:01 pm

OK, turns out I was measuring previously without the powersource (9v battery) connected. Ahem.

Now when I measure motA and motB with either Gordon's gpio or the motor test program, I get good voltages across them.

However, neither situation will drive my motors. If I connect them *directly* to 9v battery, they spin.

What gives? Measuring MotA and MotB shows about 8v with gpio, and with the motor program it varies (obviously) slowly between 8 and 0v. But the motors won't darned well spin...

anyone?

mister_wavey

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:54 pm

well, how weird. If I give the motor spindle a helping hand at the start, the gertboard keeps it spinning fine. If I don't give it a help at the start, it just sits there. Rubbish motor?

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”