exartemarte

Re: Gertboard shipping date.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:12 am

simplesi wrote:
I think those of us who built our Nascoms, UK101s, etc from kits of components looked down our noses just a little at those who bought their computers ready made!
I think you mean envy :)
There might have been a bit of that...

I can't honestly claim to have built my mine. I bought the Nascom kit, but I was so busy getting myself a (somewhat belated) education, as well that working full time and doing a part-time job to keep hearth and home together, that it had to be put on the shelf until after that year's exams. My mate, who had built his own and really wanted someone to share stuff with, took mine away and built it for me. Thanks, George!

adlambert

Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:26 am

I think those of us who built our Nascoms, UK101s, etc from kits of components looked down our noses just a little at those who bought their computers ready made!
Or those of us who made our first computer from a Motorola 6800, a RAM chip (6116) a 2732 Eprom, some TTL, a crystal and some seven segment LEDs...... all on veroboard with insulated tinned copper wire.
Our school had one single computer, a TRS-80 in a locked room only exposed to a select few at the top of the geek tree. I never got to touch it :?

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:36 am

This is an interesting situation with Tandy. :lol:

Guess I'll play the same game as before. Order one from each and see which arrives first. :D
I know I'll need at least two anyway.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:56 am

Will be interesting to see how it all pans out, and who get's their Gertboards first.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

exartemarte

Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:15 pm

adlambert wrote:Or those of us who made our first computer from a Motorola 6800, a RAM chip (6116) a 2732 Eprom, some TTL, a crystal and some seven segment LEDs...... all on veroboard with insulated tinned copper wire.
I wouldn't have known where to start.

At the time I was an army radar technician working on analogue equipment. I had a basic understanding of logic gates but, like most people then, I had never even seen a computer. The Nascom was my introduction to digital systems, and it was a steep but fascinating learning curve. The kit cost £295, which was a lot back in 1979, but in view of my subsequent career it might have been the best £295 I ever spent.

ailwyn

Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:20 pm

alexeames wrote:Guess I'll play the same game as before. Order one from each and see which arrives first. :D
Ordered 2 deluxe gertboard kits from Tandy 7pm yesterday, have received a shipping confirmation today and as I paid for express delivery I expect them to arrive tomorrow or Thu. Will post an update when they either arrive or fail to turn up in 2 days :-)

RaspberryPiBeginners

Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:29 pm

Yeah got my shipping notice today too.

Does anyone know what make/model this soldering iron is, looks quality.
Click here for my unofficial YouTube Channel > http://goo.gl/oFYBD

speculatrix

Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:39 pm

I also got my shipping confirmation from Tandy today, for an order placed yesterday. This is for the deluxe version. Might take a bit longer to get to me as I'm in France.

Mortimer

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:11 pm

Likewise I got my confirmation this morning.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

simplesi

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:51 pm

Lets see if Tandy are heroes or RS :)

Simon
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

wallarug

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:35 am

Mortimer wrote:Likewise I got my confirmation this morning.
Where are the E14 Gertboards?

Dweeber

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:49 am

wallarug wrote:
Broken record.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

campi

Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:53 am

wallarug wrote:
There seems to be an echo in this thread - there it goes again!

campi

el10t

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:46 am

Mine should be here today.

wallarug

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:15 am

campi wrote:
wallarug wrote:
There seems to be an echo in this thread - there it goes again!

campi
It was a question because Tandy is now shipping, I was wondering what E14 are doing?
:?:
Someone has to know? :arrow:

jamesh

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:53 am

Gert says (up the thread a bit) that Farnell intend to send stuff out before the end of September.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

wallarug

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:40 am

jamesh wrote:Gert says (up the thread a bit) that Farnell intend to send stuff out before the end of September.
Is that final?

RaTTuS

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:42 am

well we'll see about the end of september
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Tandy

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Update on Gertboard Kits

Don't panic if you got a dispatch notification last night but nothing has arrived yet, the dispatch notification is sent when we print the dispatch note and not all of them got collected from us last night, the remainder were collected today.

All other orders that have not yet recieved a dispatch notification, the stock has been allocated for your order and we are filling them as quick as possible, due to the volume of orders we are not managing to dispatch them all the same day as we normaly aim to do.

Now our current stock of the Gertboard Delux Kit is sort of out of stock so any order placed from now on will recieve a back order notification. The situation is simply we have all the components but they need to be assembled in to a kit, so they will come back in to stock in a couple of days. The starter kits are currently still in stock. If at any point we run out of something that would mean a significant delay to an order it will be marked out-of-stock rather than taking an order.

We have had a number of requests for a suitable soldering iron for the surface mount components in the kit. We would recomend the 18W Antex iron, so if you need an iron or yours is just to old and ugly for the job then you can get 10% discount on Antex Irons from the tandy shop by entering the code Antex10 at the checkout, you will need to register your details rather than checkout as a guest however to use the code.

Hope this info is useful.
Tandy - The home of electronics - www.tandyonline.co.uk

el10t

Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:09 pm

Thanks - that is useful.
When I ordered mine from Tandy I was under the impression it was in stock and I paid for express delivery. Sadly it hasn't yet arrived. Can I claim a refund on the express delivery?
Thanks

Tandy

Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:46 pm

The delivery charge relates to the type of delivery service used, ie second class RoyalMail / economy 48hr courier for for the standard delivery or 1st Class / 24hr courier for the express delivery. So you will still get your order quicker than people who selected the standard option.

Orders are processed strictly in the order recieved, rather than orders with express delivery being moved to the front of the queue. We were expecting an increase in enquires and orders when the Gertboard kits went live but not quite as many as we actually had. Pleased to say our web site stood up to the extra traffic but we on the other hand ran out of hours in a day.

I think perhaps some people selected the express option to be sure they got a kit, thinking people with express delivery might get priority and potentially lose out if they selected the standard option. In the future when we are expecting a sudden influx of orders it might be an idea to see if we can find a way to disable the express delivery option as it is less worthwhile in such a situation.

To update you on the current status of orders, the queue has now been cleared. For anyone who has placed a backorder for a Delux kit this afternoon/evening the next bactch of kits will be back in stock tomorrow (Thursday).
Tandy - The home of electronics - www.tandyonline.co.uk

el10t

Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:09 pm

I think that's a bit if an assumption. For my part I most certainly didn't pick the express delivery option because I thought I could jump the queue! I picked it because the website implied you had sufficient stock and I wanted the board to arrive today, which was convenient because I am off work. The fact that actually you didn't have any to send means that I would have picked standard delivery instead. I was mislead.

simplesi

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:05 pm

@el10t - Sorry DOES seem to be the hardest word amongst RPi kit suppliers.:(

Simon

PS Never mind a refund!
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:33 pm

Shipping confirmation received today. Wonder if it'll be here thu/fri :mrgreen:
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

wallarug

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:47 pm

alexeames wrote:Shipping confirmation received today. Wonder if it'll be here thu/fri :mrgreen:
Who from?

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”