goolasso

Big and cheap screen (at least 10 inch), no touch, low res

Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:59 pm

Hello.
I am looking for a screen to build a digital photo frame for my mother (using raspberry).
Therefore the screen does not need to be a touch screen, it is not important a "huge" resolution (i.e. 1024x768 could be fine) but it need to be at least 10 inch.
I am obviously look for the cheapest solution for these requirements.
Any suggestions?

PiGraham

Re: Big and cheap screen (at least 10 inch), no touch, low r

Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:45 pm

Is 15 inch too big? You could get a desktop monitor with DVI from ebay for super cheap.

goolasso

Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:14 pm

Usually laptop screen are difficult to use with Raspberry and they are too expensive in terms of energy...

aBUGSworstnightmare

Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:51 am

You need to have a controller board for your display (converting i.e. HDMI to LVDS/eDP/..). So, laptop displays might be a little tricky if you don't know what to look for.

Big and cheap ... well, that usually doesn't fit together so well. Have a look at this http://www.banggood.com/10_1-Inch-10246 ... mds=search. In case of 'bigger' resolution you need to spend more money http://www.banggood.com/10_1-Inch-1280- ... mds=search

15in 4:3 screens might be cheap, but you need to add controller, they will consume quite some energy, etc...

tinylcd

Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:28 am

hello

below is one more alternative for a10 inch ips screen 1280x800 pixels

http://www.neosecsolutions.com//product ... 5&cPath=25

regards
tinylcd

PiGraham

Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:47 am

goolasso wrote:Usually laptop screen are difficult to use with Raspberry and they are too expensive in terms of energy...
Just in case you misunderstood, I suggested a small desktop monitor (15", £10 - £20), which is very, very easy to use with Raspberry Pi.
You didn't define energy consumption. Of course monitors are mostly energy-star compliant and have low-power standby modes.
You could attach a PIR sensor to the Pi to wake the monitor when someone is in the room.

Laptop screens are also an option. A screen from an Acer Aspire One or similar netbook could probably be used with a controller board.

It will probably cost a lot more than the desktop monitor though. And you can see how expensive the neosec option is.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:15 am

PiGraham wrote:
goolasso wrote:Usually laptop screen are difficult to use with Raspberry and they are too expensive in terms of energy...
Just in case you misunderstood, I suggested a small desktop monitor (15", £10 - £20), which is very, very easy to use with Raspberry Pi.
You didn't define energy consumption. Of course monitors are mostly energy-star compliant and have low-power standby modes.
You could attach a PIR sensor to the Pi to wake the monitor when someone is in the room.

Laptop screens are also an option. A screen from an Acer Aspire One or similar netbook could probably be used with a controller board.

It will probably cost a lot more than the desktop monitor though. And you can see how expensive the neosec option is.
well ... then use a refurbished (in case you need warranty) or cheap used desktop monitor.

PiGraham

Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:05 pm

aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:well ... then use a refurbished (in case you need warranty) or cheap used desktop monitor.
That was my suggestion, yes. It is likely the cheapest option for a screen>=10" (just about the only requirement specified in the OP).

goolasso

Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:14 pm

Ok.
What I would like to do is "yet another photo frame" :-)
But I'd like to do something a bit different with a big screen, a real wood frame, but as thin as possible, then probably I'd like to use a Raspberry PI zero.
But I thought that it would be possible to find a quite big screen, no touch, energy efficient (new Req :-) ) but I understood that it is not possible (or at least is not cheap) and maybe is better to use a recycled pc monitor...

What do you think of the whole project?

PiGraham

Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:17 pm

goolasso wrote:Ok.
What I would like to do is "yet another photo frame" :-)
But I'd like to do something a bit different with a big screen, a real wood frame, but as thin as possible, then probably I'd like to use a Raspberry PI zero.
But I thought that it would be possible to find a quite big screen, no touch, energy efficient (new Req :-) ) but I understood that it is not possible (or at least is not cheap) and maybe is better to use a recycled pc monitor...

What do you think of the whole project?
It's quite easy to do. If you want a big screen you have a lot of very cheap options for 15" and larger.
You can add a sensor or button on gpio to activate the screen only when there is someone there to see it. That will save power.

The actual screen will be very thin. The control board and connectors add thickness. If you are framing it yourself you could possibly relocate the control board into the frame or a base to keep the picture area thin.
The software is quite simple. You can do it with shell script or Python or using a web browser or many other ways. You should find lots of examples.

goolasso

Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:37 pm

Ok.
But do you think I can use Raspberry zero?
I'd like to hang it on the wall, like an actual frame, how can I manage the cables?

PiGraham

Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:22 pm

goolasso wrote:Ok.
But do you think I can use Raspberry zero?
I'd like to hang it on the wall, like an actual frame, how can I manage the cables?
Yes, you can use Pi0. You can connect it to a DVI input monitor using a HMDI to DVI adaptor (just a cheap plug or cable)

k-pi

Re: Big and cheap screen (at least 10 inch), no touch, low res

Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:10 pm

To hang a desktop monitor on a wall, look for ones that have a VESA mounting option.
But it could be free standing, with your Pi attached to it's rear.

Lord Zapus

Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:20 am

E-paper from 2019 is way better for still images like this. Also, bi-stability = extremely low power while constantly displaying image.

PiGraham

Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:50 am

Lord Zapus wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:20 am
E-paper from 2019 is way better for still images like this. Also, bi-stability = extremely low power while constantly displaying image.
Are there any e-paper displays in the maker market that can render colour photos with high quality? I think that is the priority for a photo frame.

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”