Aristillus

Piface & Rapberry Pi 2

Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:24 am

Hi,
Has anyone tried to use the original PiFace (designed for Pi A & B) with the Raspberry Pi 2?
I used an extender for the first 26 pins on the Pi 2 so that the PiFace would fit properly and all seemed to work fine. However, the red light on the Pi 2 blinks irregularly when the PiFace is connected. This indicates overload on the Pi 2 and/or a poor power supply. However, if I replace the Pi 2 with a Pi B there is no problem.
does anyone know if this is because the PiFace is incompatible with the Pi 2? I realise that there is a PiFace 2 available but don't really want to spend another £24 if I don't need to!
Dave

bulletmark

Re: Piface & Rapberry Pi 2

Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:51 pm

Yes, I moved my original PiFace board from a model B to a new model 2 B from soon after the new model appeared and it has been running fine 24x7. My LED stays steady on red. Note that I originally purchased a normal 2x13 extender which did not work reliably. I then bought an "extra tall" extender (same as http://www.adafruit.com/products/1112) which has been working well.

PS: I should note that I had to prop up the other side of the PiFace board since it now sits much higher and I cable tied the boards securely together. I would have just bought a PiFace 2 if I had known about it when I did this.

Aristillus

Re: Piface & Rapberry Pi 2

Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:02 am

Thanks for the reply. Yes I realised that my extender only just fits (ie pins are not really long enough). I didn't think that would cause the light to flash but I suppose a poor connection could cause problems.
I think I'll try an extender with longer pins.
Thanks
Dave

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”