janroc

DS18B20 wrong temp

Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:47 pm

Hi all,

I have two DS18B20 connected to my PI 3 model b.
Both is showing the same temperature, but if I compare them with other thermometer they a bit to high C around +2C.
I have google and it seems that I am not alone of this problem.

Any suggestion what I can do?
Right now will try to get the result from the python script and remove -2.0 if I success.
Regards Jan

saper_2

Re: DS18B20 wrong temp

Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:42 pm

Hi,

I don't know what kind precision you want from ds18b20 but that is about normal, maxim specify +/- 0,5degC... I have quiet few of those chips: original from Dallas (now Maxim or Maxim integrated - or whatever they want to call them now...) and Chinese knockouts, all of them report temperature form 1 to 2,5deg different (usually higher by this 1 to 2,5degC - the ~ +2,5degC I got on Chinese parts). This probably is influenced by external heat sources like: voltage regulators, processors, your hand, or even sensor heat-up itself too, lying around phone and/or close wifi/bt/router antennas can introduce some errors to the analog and ADC circuit inside ds18b20 chip too...
The "reference" temperature sensor (thermometer) might be off too - unless you're using certified high precision thermometer.

I usually use 2 or 3 different sensors and calculate their mean temperature, e.g.:
(temperature from barometric sensor + temperature from humidity sensor + ds18b20 temperature) / 3 = mean temp.

Or jut use the approach as your already using: compensate temperature by adding/subtracting from result constant value - the simplest way and it should give your good results too.

asandford

Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:42 pm

janroc wrote:Hi all,

I have two DS18B20 connected to my PI 3 model b.
Both is showing the same temperature, but if I compare them with other thermometer they a bit to high C around +2C.
I have google and it seems that I am not alone of this problem.

Any suggestion what I can do?
Right now will try to get the result from the python script and remove -2.0 if I success.
You can check the sensor with ice and boiling water (assuming you aren't significantly far from sea level) as these will be at known values.

janroc

Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:42 pm

Yes the China sensors seems to show a bit higher, arround 2C. So I guess this is normal. I found out to fix this in the python script so I am fine now. Where do do I buy one that is more precise?
Regards Jan

DavidMS

Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:13 pm

One point to note is that the actual temperature sensing element is bonded to the middle pin of the DS18B20, not the device case. As such it can pick up / be cooled by conduction from the PCB it is soldered to. I have seen this in a board I developed which ran 'warm' causing the DS18B20 to read slighty above room temperature. If I separated it from the board which jumper wires it read room temp correctly
http://meanderingpi.wordpress.com/
11 Raspberry Pi's and counting....

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”