jchalo99

Nexus 7 DSI

Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:45 pm

The NEXUS 7 Tablet from Google, uses the Tegra 3 Super Chip. The Tegra 3 supports the MiPi DSI. do you think the display could be usable with the Raspberry Pi?
Tear-down (http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus-7-Teardown/9623/)
i couldnt find any information on the display "Hydis HV070WX2"

(Also Off Topic But...) do you think the Nexus 7 will be hackable to get removable storage?

timothy3592

Re: Nexus 7 DSI

Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:34 pm

The DSI on the raspberry pi is brought out to a 15 pin flex connector. The only two ribbon cables shown in that how to had more than that. They wouldn't mechanically fit into the pi's DSI connection. I'm not sure if it could be made to work in the electrical sense though. Its possible that the extra wires on the ribbon cable bundle power and touch screen as well as the MIPI DSI. In that case a steady handed person might be able to split the unnecessary ones out and make it work.

moulinex

Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:07 pm

Hello, it seems that nexus display has four DSI lanes and raspberry only two lanes? (I'm not sure) I'm also interested 7-10" inch display for raspberry.

Gert van Loo

Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:58 pm

moulinex wrote:Hello, it seems that nexus display has four DSI lanes and raspberry only two lanes? (I'm not sure) I'm also interested 7-10" inch display for raspberry.
I don't say it is wrong but it seems implausible.
Are you sure you are not counting the channels twice because of the differential drivers/receivers?
Also you need a clock and data, so the smallest DSI interface has 4 wires.

The reason why I say it seems implausible is that a single channel DSI can drive
a 1200x1080 display at 60Hz. So why would they need four channels...

moulinex

Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:08 am

Sorry i was not looking exactly same panel. I was looking LD070WX3 as Nexus suppose to have LD070WX2 version.

Specification for that display says "MIPI (4 data lanes)". If that means 4 differential data lines maybe it could be still controller over 2 diff data lines? Or it means as you say one diff clock + diff data (total 4 wires.)

Look here some info about display:
http://www.panelook.com/LD070WX3-SL01_L ... 15753.html

Btw. I ask some information about 1920x1200 res, 8,9" display from Hydis. That would be perfect display for Raspberry Pi. I'm still waiting information.

Here 8,9", 1920x1200 display from Hydis:
http://www.panelook.com/HV089WU1-1E0_HY ... 15453.html

azerty

Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:42 am

The panel in the Nexus 7 uses a LVDS interface. There's a TI SN75LVDS83B parallel to LVDS transmitter in step 17 of the ifixit teardown.

jackd

Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:45 am

What steps would one take to hack together a connection from LVDS to the Pi? Assume, I have no clue what LVDS is, but do have a general knowledge of electronics and chips and how to build things. I too am looking to add a 7-10 display.

My current plans is to find a screen to which I can use/mod with a separate powered board, and merely connect the screen to either the USB or the HDMI port. I'm currently hoping to not have to build a HDMI connector, with a breakout board on one side, nor to use the USB.

I'm also planning on adding a touchscreen. My plan there is to lay the touchscreen over the LCD and send the touchscreen data via USB. My goal is to *not* write a driver. I have found a HDMI touchscreen LCD panel. The HDMI appears to be broken out into board connectors, which I'm confident I can convert into a connection with a male HDMI connector, albeit, the soldering is a bit tight, and I'll need to invest in a good magnifier, and a better quality soldering iron, and lead-free solder (I've not done much hobbying soldering in many years). My project is building two Android PiPad devices with my young daughter. I'm keeping my design open until I find the right display. Yes, I know, I'm going to need to make Android work on RPi, or make Rasbpian "look like" Android. But my daughter is looking forward to accessing the Android store for apps. Where as I'd rather make a Driodian cross-breed [yes Mad Scientist stuff].

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”