ccrisan

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:19 pm

It's a known bug, it'll be fixed in the next stable version.
shh200 wrote:Hi,

Have only {"prompt": true, "error": "unauthorized"} text on firefox when trying to watch live feed on full screen window, whats wrong?
IE gives prompt do you want open or save frame.json from (ipaddress)

BTW Thaks for great job!

shh200

Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:49 pm

Thanks for quick answer,
Second question: Is it possible to limit amount of sent emails per day to eg 30 mails, so motionpie doesent spam mailbox full?
Some kind of workaround is add more time for motion gap, but this isnt quite what I need, as Im using this as trailcam for animals.

And Third.. If I wnt to take one motion triggered picture eg every 5 min, not every motion detected, is this possible somehow?

ccrisan wrote:It's a known bug, it'll be fixed in the next stable version.

Have only {"prompt": true, "error": "unauthorized"} text on firefox when trying to watch live feed on full screen window, whats wrong?

BTW Thaks for great job!

ccrisan

Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:16 pm

Second: too specific.
Third: set motion detection gap to 300 seconds.
shh200 wrote:Thanks for quick answer,
Second question: Is it possible to limit amount of sent emails per day to eg 30 mails, so motionpie doesent spam mailbox full?
Some kind of workaround is add more time for motion gap, but this isnt quite what I need, as Im using this as trailcam for animals.

And Third.. If I wnt to take one motion triggered picture eg every 5 min, not every motion detected, is this possible somehow?

ccrisan wrote:It's a known bug, it'll be fixed in the next stable version.

BTW Thaks for great job!

ccrisan

Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:07 pm

Hi,

I have released 20150102, a stable version that includes all the recent features and fixes. In addition to what 20141225 and 20141228 brought, here's what's new:
* fixed full screen frame authentication bug
* streaming URLs contain now authentication parameters, if required
* fixed samba issue where nmbd wouldn't start (preventing local network name discovery)
* writeimage.sh should now work on OSX (thanks to cyberlussi)

Please let me know if you encounter any issues with this version.

Calin.

shh200

Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:20 am

Great!
Works as intnted. More questions to come.
Are you planning to add 3g usb dongle support, and maybe dyndns support too?
At least dyndns. 3g isn't problem with asus wl-330n3g via lan. Or similar setup.
maybe this shouldn't be so specific demand...

sidb

Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:00 am

As a developer who feels the pain of getting new demands within hours of each new release, I just wanted to say that I've updated seamlessly and all works well. Thanks again for a fantastic product which is very much appreciated, and a Happy New Year to you!

ccrisan

Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:07 am

Yes, 3g modem support is planned and partially included. I just haven't gotten enough usb adapters to test and the usb-modeswitch crap is giving me headaches.

And there's also the matter of private ip addresses which are often used with these modems and that make the unit inaccessible from the internet, unless some vpn setup is used.
shh200 wrote:Great!
Works as intnted. More questions to come.
Are you planning to add 3g usb dongle support, and maybe dyndns support too?
At least dyndns. 3g isn't problem with asus wl-330n3g via lan. Or similar setup.
maybe this shouldn't be so specific demand...

geppetto

Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:25 am

Superb software, does just what I want it to do.
Thanks for your work and generosity on this 8-)

Philip

Boothy

Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:42 pm

Hi Another Newbie Question

When I last updated writing to the sd card with win32 disk imager in a windows environment all of the existing partitions were rewritten and I had to reconfigure settings etc. The documentation suggests that only the first 2 partitions are overwritten. This is not a problem, I had backed up all the config files anyway. I just wondered if I was doing something wrong or if it was better to write the update image file within a Linux environment ?

Many Thanks

Boothy

ccrisan

Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:33 pm

When you use win32 disk imager (or dd, or even writeimage.sh) you *don't* make an update, you actually rewrite your SD card. Updating is achieved using the update button in the UI. That's the only way to preserve your data.
Boothy wrote:Hi Another Newbie Question

When I last updated writing to the sd card with win32 disk imager in a windows environment all of the existing partitions were rewritten and I had to reconfigure settings etc. The documentation suggests that only the first 2 partitions are overwritten. This is not a problem, I had backed up all the config files anyway. I just wondered if I was doing something wrong or if it was better to write the update image file within a Linux environment ?

Many Thanks

Boothy

Boothy

Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:40 pm

That's great, thanks again

130mbit

Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:05 pm

Is it normal to find recorded and streaming video a bit choppy/laggy? I've got a Raspberry Pi ribbon camera which can record with a pretty good frame-rate and resolution normally, but with Motion it seems to struggle with 90 degree rotated, 5 fps and 640px resolution.

Also, you said you're working on 3G support but don't have enough adaptors? I don't think I'd have a need for 3G, but I'd like to support the work you've done, and get you some dongles if you'd like. Do you have an Amazon wishlist?

ccrisan

Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:07 am

It is normal for the stream to be a bit laggy on Raspberry PI. I'm using it myself at 640x480@5fps and I'm happy with the results but it's not as fluent as one would like; especially when configuring it to record movies, detect motion and do other things in the background. It's the CPU that limits the whole experience and there isn't much to do about it, other than overclock it as much as possible.

Regarding the 3G adapters, thanks for offering to support the project. In fact I own two of these USB sticks, one claiming to be 3G and the other one 4G (!). I added some preliminary modem/ppp support and tested it with those two, the only problem being that they sometimes don't start in the "modem" mode but rather stay in their "cd" mode. The behaviour seems pretty random and usb_modeswitch, which is installed and used, looks like voodoo to me.
130mbit wrote:Is it normal to find recorded and streaming video a bit choppy/laggy? I've got a Raspberry Pi ribbon camera which can record with a pretty good frame-rate and resolution normally, but with Motion it seems to struggle with 90 degree rotated, 5 fps and 640px resolution.

Also, you said you're working on 3G support but don't have enough adaptors? I don't think I'd have a need for 3G, but I'd like to support the work you've done, and get you some dongles if you'd like. Do you have an Amazon wishlist?

130mbit

Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:10 pm

If you do decide you need some 3G dongles, PM me and we can work something out.

I'm coming across another issue though (related to my previous post last week). I'm experimenting with ways to remotely mount a network share, as the MotionEye SMB interface configuration doesn't appear to persist after a reboot.

I've tried mounting an NFS share, which I used on a different Raspberry Pi setup, but I don't think the NFS kernel module has been included in MotionPie (lsmod | grep nfs returns nothing). Ideally it would be nice to have an NFS share mount at boot from fstab, and just point MotionEye to the local mount-point.

When I try to mount my remote SMB share with

Code: Select all

mount.cifs -w //192.168.0.91/motioneye /data/media/storage -o guest
I can read the contents of the share, but am unable to write.

the 'testparm' results on the server are

[motioneye]
	path = /home/ben/motioneye
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes
I've tinkered with the smb.conf a lot, so I suspect I've probably missed an important line out. Thoughts?

ccrisan

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:48 am

Actually NFS != SMB. NFS has nothing to do with motionPie and hopefully will never have.

Your write protection issue may come from the fact that the "guest" user on the server is mapped to some unprivileged unix user (such as "nobody"). Simply saying "read only = no" in a share's config doesn't make sure it's writable. You should make sure "/home/ben/motioneye" is writable by any other user (or "nobody" in particular):

sudo -u nobody mkdir /home/ben/motioneye/nevermind.
Unless this works (which I doubt) you cannot write to that folder using SMB with a guest account.
130mbit wrote:If you do decide you need some 3G dongles, PM me and we can work something out.

I'm coming across another issue though (related to my previous post last week). I'm experimenting with ways to remotely mount a network share, as the MotionEye SMB interface configuration doesn't appear to persist after a reboot.

I've tried mounting an NFS share, which I used on a different Raspberry Pi setup, but I don't think the NFS kernel module has been included in MotionPie (lsmod | grep nfs returns nothing). Ideally it would be nice to have an NFS share mount at boot from fstab, and just point MotionEye to the local mount-point.

When I try to mount my remote SMB share with

mount.cifs -w //192.168.0.91/motioneye /data/media/storage -o guest
I can read the contents of the share, but am unable to write.

the 'testparm' results on the server are

[motioneye]
	path = /home/ben/motioneye
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes
I've tinkered with the smb.conf a lot, so I suspect I've probably missed an important line out. Thoughts?

DougieLawson

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:27 am

ccrisan wrote:Actually NFS != SMB. NFS has nothing to do with motionPie and hopefully will never have.
If the system that owns the data and the client trying to share it are both running Linux then NFS is a million times better than CIFS/SMB/Samba. You gain speed, you gain security.

If any system runs Windows then you're stuck with the less than wonderful and delightfully insecure CIFS.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

130mbit

Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:00 pm

You were right, I hadn't set the permissions of my server's shared directory correctly. It also turned out a lot of my problems were coming from my lack of power from my USB, which is a satisfying relief to have resolved.

Now that it's all up and running and saving video clips ok, is there a way to manually edit the motion.conf file? I found a copy in /data/motion.conf but I'm not sure that's the file I need to edit (looks a bit sparse). Specifically, I want to edit the area_detect parameters so I don't detect my motorcycle's cover flapping in the wind constantly.

ccrisan

Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:06 pm

There's a motion.conf and a thread-1.conf in /data/etc/. Those are the ones you should edit. Detection area parameters should be left untouched when applying settings from the UI, so everything should work as expected.
130mbit wrote:You were right, I hadn't set the permissions of my server's shared directory correctly. It also turned out a lot of my problems were coming from my lack of power from my USB, which is a satisfying relief to have resolved.

Now that it's all up and running and saving video clips ok, is there a way to manually edit the motion.conf file? I found a copy in /data/motion.conf but I'm not sure that's the file I need to edit (looks a bit sparse). Specifically, I want to edit the area_detect parameters so I don't detect my motorcycle's cover flapping in the wind constantly.

manuel85

Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:14 am

The program is ok!

But I have a problem. My router have a usb hd and this is share in my local network. In my windows networking I read and write over hd without problems. The way is \\ROUTER\usb\usb1_5\ . Can you help me configure the program? I would save movies and images inside the folder. I configure the program like this:
Storage Device: Network Share
Network Server: smbclient -L 192.168.1.1
Share Name: ROUTER
Share Username : admin
Share Password : admin ( the credentials of my router)
Root Directory : /usb/usb1_5/

But it doesen't work. Help me, please....

Thank you very much!

ccrisan

Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:50 pm

Use the following settings:

Network Server: ROUTER (or 192.168.1.1)
Share Name: usb
Share Password : admin (the credentials of your router)
Root Directory : /usb1_5
manuel85 wrote:The program is ok!

But I have a problem. My router have a usb hd and this is share in my local network. In my windows networking I read and write over hd without problems. The way is \\ROUTER\usb\usb1_5\ . Can you help me configure the program? I would save movies and images inside the folder. I configure the program like this:
Storage Device: Network Share
Network Server: smbclient -L 192.168.1.1
Share Name: ROUTER
Share Password : admin ( the credentials of my router)
Root Directory : /usb/usb1_5/

But it doesen't work. Help me, please....

Thank you very much!

ccrisan

Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:48 pm

Hi,

A new version is out, with just a few fixes and improvements:
* fixed authentication errors when using more than one subdirectory in media file paths
* numeric usernames and passwords should work now
* spaces in network shares and network usernames should work now
* removing media files will now clean up any empty directories left behind
* logout button is now visible only when settings menu is closed, fixing the missing apply button issue on small screens
* arrow keys can now be used to navigate through media files previews
* added SSH client
* merged with upstream [gamaral's repo](https://github.com/gamaral/rpi-buildroot) (buildroot 2014.11)

Boothy

Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:34 pm

Hi CCrisan
FYI
1.When I updated to the new version via browser the initial response from motionpie was that update failed albeit when I pressed update again it stated update current. So far tried in IE 11 and firefox, current version.
2.After rebooting motionpie, motionpie opens immediately without password prompt and does not display \provide access to settings ? So far tried in IE 11 and firefox, current version.
3. When initially updated (before reboot) my custom port setting seemed to have changed to default, is this correct? I would like for security reasons to site raspberry pie in a remote place ie. attic, this is the only Linux based device I own (may have to invest in second PI which is no big deal) so would prefer not to have to keep removing card to reset.

Many thanks again for all your efforts and a great program. Please ignore if the above comments are due to my lack of expertise.

Boothy

ccrisan

Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:49 pm

There seems to be a bug with the new version not prompting for login when password is empty (by default). Don't upgrade and don't use it for now.

Boothy

Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:13 pm

Hi
I did have a password set for admin but not user when upgrading. I have copy of settings so can `restore` when fixed.

Boothy

manuel85

Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:43 am

Hi, I test configuration for external hd but the movies are not saving. The hd are mounted correctly; when the motion is running in the hd is present the folder whit day... for example /data/media/motioneye_192_168_1_1_usb_admin/usb1_5/2015-01-12 but the movies and the images are not saving. If I choose "custom path" all is ok. My log:
2015-01-12 09:16:08: WARNING: mjpg client connection for camera 2 on port 8082 is closed
2015-01-12 09:16:09: WARNING: Connect error on fd 10: ECONNREFUSED

Thank you for help... and I'm sorry for my bad english

Return to “Camera board”