RPi85
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:42 pm

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:42 pm

d0n350n wrote:Just look in the folder where the timelapse pics are stored before processing, you can look till your hearts desire...
Not sure I understand..? The picture is too small to see.

m4rky
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:57 pm

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:56 pm

ccrisan wrote:Yes, you're better off using a separate machine with motionEye. Soon motionPie for RPi will have a special feature called "Fast Network Camera" that will make use of the GPU to encode the MJPEG stream.
I have got one raspberry pi running MotionPie and its working great.
However I cannot set up MotionEye on a branch new Ubuntu (also tried Debian) box. I am following your instructions here https://bitbucket.org/ccrisan/motioneye ... on%20Guide

But I cannot install "ffmpeg". I get a dependency error:

Code: Select all

# sudo apt-get install ffmpeg
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
 ffmpeg : Depends: libavcodec56 (>= 10:2.7) but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: libavdevice56 (>= 10:2.7) but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: libavfilter5 (>= 10:2.7) but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: libavformat56 (>= 10:2.7) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
I then tried to install "libav-tools" but I get a similar message as above but saying it depends on ffmpeg !?!?!

All I have done is:
1) install ubuntu with the latest stable server ISO from ubuntu
2) Set root password
3) Logged in using SSH
4) Started following the instructions on you webpage above

I tried it using a new debian install but got exactly the same error.

help!

EDIT: looks like I have fixed my own problem :) I removed "http://www.deb-multimedia.org testing main non-free" from /etc/apt/sources.list and ffmpeg now installs using "sudo apt-get install ffmpeg"

m4rky
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:57 pm

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:39 pm

Cool. I now have MotionEye running on my ubuntu box.

But how do I add the MotionPie camera to it?
I selected the Remote MotionEye Camera option and added my url of "http://192.168.1.102:80" with the user "admin" and no password. But it says no camera found.

So I have to set anything on the MotionPie to say its a remote camera?

EDIT: I should spend a bit more time on my problem before posting :) I have answered my own post again!
I should have been using the option "Network camera" and the url is the same as the Streamin URL that is shown on the MotionPie interface ie "http://192.168.1.102:8081".
Also the Network camera option is the right one to use if I want the MotionEye PC to do the Motion capturing and not the RPi MotionPie. I have also switched off Motion detection on the MotionPie so it is just streaming video to the MotionEye.

This is now all working. Hopefully tonight I will set up a second MotionPie and integrate that with MotionEye.

It's looking really good as the MotionPie camera has been on for two days with no problems. It has even filled up its 8GB SD Card with motion captured video! Might need to tweak the threshold of motion :)

Great work CCrisan

Saffik
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:34 am

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:56 am

Hi ccrisan,

I've been running MotionPi successfully for a couple of months now, works great, I have been upgrading to the latest releases, but recently one or the other of my USB camera would stop working and on the UI i'd see..
"Unable to open video device since xxxx-xx-xx xx:xx:xx" etc.

In motioneye.log, I would then see..

2015-06-18 17:24:39: WARNING: control hue not found for device /dev/v4l/by-id/usb-AVEO_Technology_Corp._USB2.0_Camera-video-index0
2015-06-18 17:24:39: WARNING: control hue not found for device /dev/video0
2015-06-18 17:24:39: WARNING: control hue not found for device /dev/v4l/by-id/usb-AVEO_Technology_Corp._USB2.0_Camera-video-index0

Any idea what's going on. Would you want me to attach more logs?
Just to state, the same usb camera works alright, but then occasionally it would stop working.

User avatar
ccrisan
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:59 am
Contact: Website Yahoo Messenger

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:55 pm

The new 20150621 pre-release version is out. The most notable new feature is the Fast Network Camera option that I've been working on for some time and that... well, that does precisely what it says. Read more about it here.

Keep in mind that this is a test release that contains many underlying changes and that may exhibit new bugs. For those wishing to upgrade automatically, remember there's an "Enable Prereleases" option in recent versions. I'm looking forward to your feedback.

sampatjana
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:26 am

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:39 am

Hi ccrisan,
I followed your tutorial in http://www.howtoembed.com/projects/rasp ... spberry-pi and everything is running fine in the pi. However when I am remotely login into motioneye via web browser ( pi ip address:8765) it is asking me to a camera, and when i clicked on it, it prompted me Device name and URL. Could you please tell me what would be those two? The '?' beside the field doesn't seem to work and have no idea what to put on that.

Thanks,
Sampat

EDIT:

Okay, I've successfully added my picam with motioneye portal with Device name : Network Device and URL : http://piaddress:8080.( I hope that is correct ). However i cant make my camera shoot photos. It kinda look like this in the picture. Is there any settings need to be tweaked?
image12.jpg
picamera unavailable.
image12.jpg (56.69 KiB) Viewed 7979 times
Also I would like to mention 1 thing ( i think it is relevent )... When I start the server using command ./motioneye.py there was a message : camera config file at /home/pi/motioneye/conf/thread-1.conf is incomplete, ignoring..
image212.jpg
server message
image212.jpg (49.24 KiB) Viewed 7979 times
Is this something related to the issue above.

Appreciate you help in this regard..
Thanks

Thaui
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:32 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:33 am

The fast network camera option works fine. Let's see what's coming next. Keep goin, thanks

User avatar
ccrisan
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:59 am
Contact: Website Yahoo Messenger

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:25 am

You don't seem to use motionPie, but rather motionEye with Raspbian. If the add device dialog does not list any device, there's no v4l device detected by your Raspberry PI. If you use the Raspberry PI camera, you forgot to modprobe bcm2835-v4l2. If you use another USB camera, it either isn't supported on Linux or its driver simply wasn't loaded for some reason.
sampatjana wrote:Hi ccrisan,
I followed your tutorial in http://www.howtoembed.com/projects/rasp ... spberry-pi and everything is running fine in the pi. However when I am remotely login into motioneye via web browser ( pi ip address:8765) it is asking me to a camera, and when i clicked on it, it prompted me Device name and URL. Could you please tell me what would be those two? The '?' beside the field doesn't seem to work and have no idea what to put on that.

Thanks,
Sampat

EDIT:

Okay, I've successfully added my picam with motioneye portal with Device name : Network Device and URL : http://piaddress:8080.( I hope that is correct ). However i cant make my camera shoot photos. It kinda look like this in the picture. Is there any settings need to be tweaked?
image12.jpg
Also I would like to mention 1 thing ( i think it is relevent )... When I start the server using command ./motioneye.py there was a message : camera config file at /home/pi/motioneye/conf/thread-1.conf is incomplete, ignoring..
image212.jpg
Is this something related to the issue above.

Appreciate you help in this regard..
Thanks

phmadeira
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:11 am

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:26 am

Any working exemple of website for web hook support for motion events

i have tried pushover.net but didn t succes


thank you

sidb
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:05 pm

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:08 pm

Does motionPie's BuildRoot have i2c support? I'd like to use a PiNoIR with a Bright Pi https://www.pi-supply.com/product/brigh ... pberry-pi/ for illumination. Thanks.

User avatar
ccrisan
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:59 am
Contact: Website Yahoo Messenger

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:08 pm

It's coming in a couple of hours with the new release. *Do* hold your breath :)
sidb wrote:Does motionPie's BuildRoot have i2c support? I'd like to use a PiNoIR with a Bright Pi https://www.pi-supply.com/product/brigh ... pberry-pi/ for illumination. Thanks.

sidb
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:05 pm

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:25 pm

Spooky!
ccrisan wrote:It's coming in a couple of hours with the new release. *Do* hold your breath :)


bamoore01
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:17 pm

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:30 pm

First of all to ccrisan, Thank You for doing this. It is so good to see a real solution that not only works but works reliably. Again, thank you.

Now for the question that I have. Is MotionPie capable as being setup as an access point. I don't speak unix or network very well so I'm not sure if I'm using the correct terms in this but I'm looking for a way to not need an existing network or router. An example would be similar to the WiFi sports cams or automotive backup cams that can stream directly from the camera to a smartphone, tablet or computer. I've tried a few of those sports cams but connection stability is at best very bad. The picture keeps dropping out or freezing.

It may already be covered someplace in this thread but I couldn't spot it if it was.

Thanks
Bruce

karma007
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:55 pm

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:49 pm

Hello,

what's new in MotionEye 0.25 vs 0.24 ?
how can i do the udpate without loosing my config ?

thanks

User avatar
ccrisan
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:59 am
Contact: Website Yahoo Messenger

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:33 am

Hi,

There's no easy way you could use motionPie as an access point. The reason is that motionPie is designed to work with most of the network adapters and the majority of them don't work in AP mode. Or, if they do, the AP mode is unstable. For now, the only solution is to use a wireless router or a wired connection.
bamoore01 wrote:First of all to ccrisan, Thank You for doing this. It is so good to see a real solution that not only works but works reliably. Again, thank you.

Now for the question that I have. Is MotionPie capable as being setup as an access point. I don't speak unix or network very well so I'm not sure if I'm using the correct terms in this but I'm looking for a way to not need an existing network or router. An example would be similar to the WiFi sports cams or automotive backup cams that can stream directly from the camera to a smartphone, tablet or computer. I've tried a few of those sports cams but connection stability is at best very bad. The picture keeps dropping out or freezing.

It may already be covered someplace in this thread but I couldn't spot it if it was.

Thanks
Bruce

User avatar
ccrisan
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:59 am
Contact: Website Yahoo Messenger

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:38 am

Most of the changes are bug fixes and performance improvements; there's nothing that's ground-breaking. The main reason why you should update your motionEye to 0.25 is the incompatibility with older versions.

There's no seamless update. What you can do is to backup your existing installation, download and extract the new version, and then copy the settings.py and conf directory over to the new motionEye directory.
karma007 wrote:Hello,

what's new in MotionEye 0.25 vs 0.24 ?
how can i do the udpate without loosing my config ?

thanks

PiGraham
Posts: 3671
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:37 pm
Location: Waterlooville

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:41 am

bamoore01 wrote:Now for the question that I have. Is MotionPie capable as being setup as an access point. I don't speak unix or network very well so I'm not sure if I'm using the correct terms in this but I'm looking for a way to not need an existing network or router. An example would be similar to the WiFi sports cams or automotive backup cams that can stream directly from the camera to a smartphone, tablet or computer. I've tried a few of those sports cams but connection stability is at best very bad. The picture keeps dropping out or freezing.
Two suggestions.

1. Toshiba Camileo WiFi seems stable
2. You could use a cheap WiFi bidge such as TPLink

karma007
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:55 pm

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:47 am

thanks, after this, how to stop / restart motionEye ?
should i rebbot the Rpi ?

thanks
ccrisan wrote:Most of the changes are bug fixes and performance improvements; there's nothing that's ground-breaking. The main reason why you should update your motionEye to 0.25 is the incompatibility with older versions.

There's no seamless update. What you can do is to backup your existing installation, download and extract the new version, and then copy the settings.py and conf directory over to the new motionEye directory.
karma007 wrote:Hello,

what's new in MotionEye 0.25 vs 0.24 ?
how can i do the udpate without loosing my config ?

thanks

bamoore01
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:17 pm

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:16 pm

Thanks PiGraham and ccrisan for the answers

I don't see where the Toshiba has the ability to do AP. Did I miss something?

I like the idea of the baby TPLink router. Looking around from that idea opened up a few new possibilities. There are some mini routers out there that also have batteries in them that can be used to charge usb devices. This solves a power problem in that the battery power from one of those guys could also power the Pi for a short time. It looks like I could get a few hours out of most of them but I'm only looking for 15 minutes at a time. Seems like a fairly simple solution to get a stand alone camera that can be viewed on the cell phone without an existing network without having to make cables and build a voltage regulator to work with an external battery.

Bruce

aro2016688
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:24 pm

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:46 pm

How can I access the Live Stream from anywhere?

marco123
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:18 am
Location: France

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:12 am

hello !
I have a raspberry 2 B+.
I have downloaded motion pie raspberry2 V: 20150719
Installed on a sd 8Go
All is ok when i give my ipcam ( DCS 930 LB1 wireless on wpa)
http://192.168.1.133:8080/image/jpeg.cgi
Network Camera
The Camera is ok .


But if I filled "motion notification" or another setting, the camera is lost !
an idea ?

thank you !

User avatar
ccrisan
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:59 am
Contact: Website Yahoo Messenger

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:16 pm

Please send me the motion.log and motioneye.log files.
marco123 wrote:hello !
I have a raspberry 2 B+.
I have downloaded motion pie raspberry2 V: 20150719
Installed on a sd 8Go
All is ok when i give my ipcam ( DCS 930 LB1 wireless on wpa)
http://192.168.1.133:8080/image/jpeg.cgi
Network Camera
The Camera is ok .


But if I filled "motion notification" or another setting, the camera is lost !
an idea ?

thank you !

Thaui
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:32 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:09 am

It seems that the software is so reliable that nobody as any questions since 3 weeks. Good job. Thanks

logif
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:28 am

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:43 am

I love this program.
I have cabin out in the countryside and want to be able to access my Motionpie there. I Installed MotionPie and it worked at ones. Small issues to get the port right for email notification, but after some trials and error I got it right.
Now I am having problems setting up Dynamic DNS. I do not know how to set it up on my motionpie box(pi2) as it is not debian and it has not sudo, apt-get, location /usr/local is not present in this OS. Is it possible to setup/easy?
or is it easier to setup raspbian,motion and motioneye and Dynamic DNS from scratch?

Can you give me some help her, I would appreciate it?

Return to “Camera board”