hairynoggin

Re: Surveillance camera based on BuildRoot and Motion

Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:00 pm

Noob here,

any chance anyone has the NoIR camera working with Motionpie?

I have an IR illuminator, but for some reason cannot find the settings to change the camera to "night" in motionpie

thanks for any help

Saffik

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:25 pm

I have pi NoIr and i can confirm it works out of the box with motionPie.
hairynoggin wrote:Noob here,

any chance anyone has the NoIR camera working with Motionpie?

I have an IR illuminator, but for some reason cannot find the settings to change the camera to "night" in motionpie

thanks for any help

hairynoggin

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:06 pm

I should add that I meant I cannot get the night IR functionality to work....as a camera its fine...at night not...

ccrisan

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:09 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "IR" functionality. If there are special commands to be sent to the camera device then there is no support in motionPie for what you need (and it won't be any time soon).
hairynoggin wrote:I should add that I meant I cannot get the night IR functionality to work....as a camera its fine...at night not...

hairynoggin

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:17 pm

The the NoIR camera (no IR filter) when you set it to night mode, and use an IR light you can see through the darkness. Its very cool and well for security perfect. The Motionpie software is the best however I cannot find the "night setting".

/

ccrisan

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:19 pm

How would you activate this "night setting" on a regular Raspbian installation?
hairynoggin wrote:The the NoIR camera (no IR filter) when you set it to night mode, and use an IR light you can see through the darkness. Its very cool and well for security perfect. The Motionpie software is the best however I cannot find the "night setting".

/

DougieLawson

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:24 pm

ccrisan wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "IR" functionality. If there are special commands to be sent to the camera device then there is no support in motionPie for what you need (and it won't be any time soon).
From a software point of view you can't tell the difference between a PiCamera and a NoIRCamera. From a hardware point of view it's electronically identical, the only difference is there's no IR filter (hence NoIR).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

hairynoggin

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:28 pm

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... +interface

with this one I can select "Night" and then the camera without IR picks up all sensitive light. Its actually very good quality. I usually leave it on this setting all the time as I don't need colour definition in the image

ccrisan

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:29 pm

Yes, that's what I thought. I own a few of these PI Noir cameras and they are sensible to IR light indeed. But without a proper source of IR light I don't see how one would make them "see" at night. Moreover, I found no online reference regarding anything like "night setting" or "night mode" for this camera.
DougieLawson wrote:
ccrisan wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "IR" functionality. If there are special commands to be sent to the camera device then there is no support in motionPie for what you need (and it won't be any time soon).
From a software point of view you can't tell the difference between a PiCamera and a NoIRCamera. From a hardware point of view it's electronically identical, the only difference is there's no IR filter (hence NoIR).

hairynoggin

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:36 pm

https://github.com/silvanmelchior/userl ... spiMJPEG.c

line 277 in the code for the project I posted earlier

DougieLawson

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:51 pm

ccrisan wrote:Yes, that's what I thought. I own a few of these PI Noir cameras and they are sensible to IR light indeed. But without a proper source of IR light I don't see how one would make them "see" at night. Moreover, I found no online reference regarding anything like "night setting" or "night mode" for this camera.
I have this program in /etc/cron.d/sunwait so I always know whether it's locally light or dark.

Code: Select all

3 3 * * * root /usr/local/bin/sunwait civ up +0:01:00 51.nnnnnnN 1.wwwwwwW ; echo 'light' > /var/run/lightordark
3 14 * * * root /usr/local/bin/sunwait civ down -0:01:00 51.nnnnnnN 1.wwwwwwW ; echo 'dark' > /var/run/lightordark
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

hairynoggin

Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:30 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
ccrisan wrote:Yes, that's what I thought. I own a few of these PI Noir cameras and they are sensible to IR light indeed. But without a proper source of IR light I don't see how one would make them "see" at night. Moreover, I found no online reference regarding anything like "night setting" or "night mode" for this camera.
I have this program in /etc/cron.d/sunwait so I always know whether it's locally light or dark.

Code: Select all

3 3 * * * root /usr/local/bin/sunwait civ up +0:01:00 51.nnnnnnN 1.wwwwwwW ; echo 'light' > /var/run/lightordark
3 14 * * * root /usr/local/bin/sunwait civ down -0:01:00 51.nnnnnnN 1.wwwwwwW ; echo 'dark' > /var/run/lightordark
can you explain your programs a little more Dougie??

DougieLawson

Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:37 pm

lastfreenick

Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:36 pm

It's in fact possible to 'create' a night mode in motion pi via settings in v4l2-ctl:

v4l2-ctl --set-ctrl=auto_exposure=1 (sets exposure mode to manual)
v4l2-ctl --set-ctrl=exposure_time_absolute=10000 (exposure time maxed out)
v4l2-ctl --set-ctrl=iso_sensitivity=4 (iso 800 is the highest setting possible which increases sensitivity in low light)

then I fire of a killall -HUP motion to resart motion and make the camera apply the settings. Setting the vaules back to defaults gives me day mode. As there is no way for me to automatically do this I call a script from another computer at dusk/dawn

hairynoggin

Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:37 am

thanks lastfreenick.

Can you explain the call script as well? I have a server on all the time which if I am guessing right would be able to carry this out.

lastfreenick

Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:24 am

The script I wrote sshs into the motionpi machine executes the v4l2-ctl commands and restarts motion. You have to install sshpass on the server in order to be able to automatically ssh into another machine from a script. Just google sshpass for the commands needed. Works like a charm.

hairynoggin

Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:29 am

lastfreenick wrote:The script I wrote sshs into the motionpi machine executes the v4l2-ctl commands and restarts motion. You have to install sshpass on the server in order to be able to automatically ssh into another machine from a script. Just google sshpass for the commands needed. Works like a charm.
thanks, appreciated

Saffik

Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:14 am

Hi ccrisian

I recently bought a USB camera called Coomatec DVRcam C802 (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cooma ... CAkQ_AUoBA) and plugged it a 7-port USB power HUB (https://www.modmypi.com/7-port-raspberry-pi-hub-eu) and the raspberry pi was also powered by the USB hub.

The camera failed to detect and work with MotionPie. I was wondering, if only certain cameras work with MotionPie or will any usb camera as long as powered by USB hub work with it?

ccrisan

Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:16 am

motionPie includes all camera drivers that are available with Raspbian (in theory). Check to see if your camera works with Raspbian and if it does, come back with the output of the command "lsmod" to help me identify the driver and include it in the next motionPie version.
Saffik wrote:Hi ccrisian

I recently bought a USB camera called Coomatec DVRcam C802 (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cooma ... CAkQ_AUoBA) and plugged it a 7-port USB power HUB (https://www.modmypi.com/7-port-raspberry-pi-hub-eu) and the raspberry pi was also powered by the USB hub.

The camera failed to detect and work with MotionPie. I was wondering, if only certain cameras work with MotionPie or will any usb camera as long as powered by USB hub work with it?

spikedrba

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:48 am

Hi all,

thanks for the great work Cris.

I was trying motionPie/Eye out after having spent some time working with Raspimjpeg and while the interface and some features of motion really attract me the videos are really laggy/timelapse-like (even when set to 25 fps).

The same pie records fine videos with raspimjpeg (just swapping sd cards).

Am I doing something wrong? Does anybody have videos recorded with motionPie up on youtube or something I could take a look for comparison?

thanks,

Spike

ccrisan

Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:54 am

Reduce the resolution. These are the limitations of motion on a Raspberry PI.
spikedrba wrote:Hi all,

thanks for the great work Cris.

I was trying motionPie/Eye out after having spent some time working with Raspimjpeg and while the interface and some features of motion really attract me the videos are really laggy/timelapse-like (even when set to 25 fps).

The same pie records fine videos with raspimjpeg (just swapping sd cards).

Am I doing something wrong? Does anybody have videos recorded with motionPie up on youtube or something I could take a look for comparison?

thanks,

Spike

jrlandau

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:45 pm

Is avahi-daemon installed in motionPie? I tried to connect using the serial number, with and without "mp-", got no connection.

I ssh'd in as root and tried to install it using apt-get, but apt-get isn't here. I know that's debian, so I guess I'm in another universe.

If avahi-daemon is not installed, can I install it? How?

Joe

spikedrba

Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:33 am

ccrisan wrote:Reduce the resolution. These are the limitations of motion on a Raspberry PI.
hoping to not be a bother, could you tell me a little more about the limitations of motion. Are you referring to something specific in the motion's code base? Because the pi with raspimpjeg doesn't have any problem to stream and record high quality videos.

There are however other limitations that make it not usable, namely the lack of a buffering function, so if someone walks through a door the resulting video will probably be starting when the person is 10 feet in depending how fast they are walking. Also the interface doesn't have an admin/user mode like motionEye, but my biggest issue right now is getting full video outputs. However reducing the resolution is not an option as I would not be able to actually make out licence plates (trying to get this working at a gate to monitor cars coming in).

Are these limitations also exiting in the motion-mmal branch? There seems to be some updates from last Dec that add a second scaled down buffer to be used for motion detection while a full res one can be used for recording.

thanks,

Spike

petay

Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:20 am

Been using MotionPie for months now and its rock solid!!

I have a need to have a remote (hopefully battery/solar powered) camera to keep an eye on my car.

its too far from my house to keep a wifi signal, would it be possible to have it running an RTC to keep its clock on track?

Also what are the chances of getting wifi host settings. It would be awesome to have it all sealed up in a box, and be able to connect to its own wifi network to view recorded videos!!

Pete

ccrisan

Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:31 pm

I don't know how to implement support for that RTC. Any help would be appreciated.

Support for wifi AP mode is impossible with most of the adapters so the answer here is no.
petay wrote:Been using MotionPie for months now and its rock solid!!

I have a need to have a remote (hopefully battery/solar powered) camera to keep an eye on my car.

its too far from my house to keep a wifi signal, would it be possible to have it running an RTC to keep its clock on track?

Also what are the chances of getting wifi host settings. It would be awesome to have it all sealed up in a box, and be able to connect to its own wifi network to view recorded videos!!

Pete

Return to “Camera board”