sparkyrich

Pi camera stream over 5.8ghz ?

Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:11 pm

Is it possible to interface a 5.8ghz transmitter (TX5823) to a raspberry pi, then send the video stream from a pi camera via the 5.8ghz transmitter to a receiver.

Many Thanks.

kaos

Re: Pi camera stream over 5.8ghz ?

Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:20 am

A quick Google tells me that this TX5823 is a video/audio transmitter, that seems to take a single wire "video" (presumably composite video) as input. The quick answer to your question is, yes, you should be able to connect the composite video out from the Raspi to the transmitter, but you will be limited to standard definition, no HD. Also note that the Raspi camera has no composite video out, so you will need the Raspi as a middle man.

--
Best regards, Kári.

sparkyrich

Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:43 pm

Ok Thanks Kári,

I'm hoping to use it for FPV, first person view, for RC planes, helicopters, quadcopters etc. So I need to a program to capture the video then transmit it over 5.8ghz, I could use Motion or MJPEG ?

ant_thomas

Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:11 pm

sparkyrich wrote:Ok Thanks Kári,

I'm hoping to use it for FPV, first person view, for RC planes, helicopters, quadcopters etc. So I need to a program to capture the video then transmit it over 5.8ghz, I could use Motion or MJPEG ?
Is there a reason you want to use a Raspberry Pi rather than something like a Mobius 1080p Action Camera? Which is smaller, lighter, lower in power etc It also has a composite output suitable for FPV out of the box.

sparkyrich

Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:54 am

I want to use the raspberry pi as part of the build, MJPEG setup and record to card over WiFi, then fly by FPV. Now I'm going to test with hard ware to see if it works.

Sabrefan1984

Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:06 pm

Hi, I'm new here but have been reading up on making my own rpi vr headset for FPV. The only thing I'm missing is a screen - does anybody have any recommendations? I'm also interested if anyone's had experience with latency due to the rpi having to process the footage before delivering it to the screen - this is really key for me, as it can mean the difference between turning a corner and crashing into a tree :) I'm trying to avoid buying a super-expensive fat shark headset, and so long as it's low latency, I'm not worried about image quality too much. Most cheap and accessible FPV cameras are ~600 pixels wide anyway. Could be a really credible alternative to make it easier to get into the sport...

Return to “Camera board”