Mettauk

Re: RPi Cam Web Interface

Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:17 pm

Gary Littlemore wrote:I've just updated my software and noticed the jump from 6.0.38 to 6.1.2. What been updated, any new we need to know about?
Look at the Wiki for details http://elinux.org/index.php?title=RPi-C ... on=history
As humans we have been the same for a very very long time, technology changes how we do... not who we are as people.

GammaScorpii

Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:09 am

Mettauk wrote:Trying out v2 camera module and manually changed still resolution in web interface to 3280 x 2464 without any problems taking stills inc timelapse and changed Image quality from 10 to 100 without issue, other than file size.

I did a rpi-update to correct image flip and to see what happens with video and then realised I don't know what the resolution change should be for say Max_view972p? default for this is 1296x972 but with then new module I wonder if this should rise?

Currently using RPi Cam version v6.0.33

Try setting video resolution to half the size of the sensor (1640x1232). That's what 972p was for the old camera. Let me know if that works at 30fps because I'm thinking of getting the new one.

vaibhav999

Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:07 am

Hello Guys

I am not able to figure out what is wrong with the webpage. I installed it according to those 4 steps. Camera is working but the web page displayed is not correct.But at last I am getting a faulty web page. Could you please help me figuring out what is wrong as I have installed it many times without any success.

Thanks

btidey

Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:46 pm

Mettauk wrote:
Gary Littlemore wrote:I've just updated my software and noticed the jump from 6.0.38 to 6.1.2. What been updated, any new we need to know about?
Look at the Wiki for details http://elinux.org/index.php?title=RPi-C ... on=history
The other technique is to look at the github page and click on commits. That shows all the changes made to the software.

btidey

Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:49 pm

vaibhav999 wrote:Hello Guys

I am not able to figure out what is wrong with the webpage. I installed it according to those 4 steps. Camera is working but the web page displayed is not correct.But at last I am getting a faulty web page. Could you please help me figuring out what is wrong as I have installed it many times without any success.

Thanks
We will need a few more details on what is not correct.

If possible start with a clean OS image, enable camera etc, and then install using the ./install.sh method as recommended and just accept the defaults. Once going you can re-install to make changes to folders, security etc.

vaibhav999

Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:28 pm

Hii
I have attached the image of web page that I am getting after installation. The whole web page is messed up. Sorry I am new to html and php stuff so I can not figure out what is wrong.
I installed using ./install.sh method on Raspbian Jessie.
Attachments
imgi.jpg.png
imgi.jpg.png (60.58 KiB) Viewed 3867 times

btidey

Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:50 am

Added controls for motion detection clipping that helps with reducing impact of large changes.

Also added Preview source control that determines the aspect ratio of the preview image from either video aspect or image aspect ratio. Video is OK but the image one is not right yet as it has scaling distortion..

Edit: Taken out Source control as it was a flawed concept.
Last edited by btidey on Sun May 01, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vaibhav999

Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:30 pm

Hi
I have started with fresh image and left everything to default. But then also the web page turning out to be faulty. In the installation this error message is coming "chown: invalid user:"
Is this the problem or anything else. I have attached image of web page in previous post. I am really getting frustrated with it as I have reinstalled the whole image a lot of times in past few days.

Thanks

stainy

Sun May 01, 2016 1:00 am

Hope you guys can help

I already have a nas mount with pi/pi as the ownerships.

If I use default raspimjpeg file that writes to the sd card.. the interface and the buttons work.
If I edit it to point to my mount.. it errors with this

pi@raspberrypi /etc $ mmal: mmal_port_disable: port vc.ril.video_encode:out:0(H264)(0x913980) is not enabled

Any ideas?

I want it to dump everything to the nas mount.. ( not writing to the card )

thanks

Darren

btidey

Sun May 01, 2016 7:38 pm

vaibhav999 wrote:Hi
I have started with fresh image and left everything to default. But then also the web page turning out to be faulty. In the installation this error message is coming "chown: invalid user:"
Is this the problem or anything else. I have attached image of web page in previous post. I am really getting frustrated with it as I have reinstalled the whole image a lot of times in past few days.

Thanks
The web page image seems to be pretty unreadable to me (low resolution). It does seem to show pan / tilt controls appearing which is strange as you have to explicitly enable them.

Are you using the ./install.sh installation method? Where do you get the chown:invalid user message? That would seem to suggest that the logged in user does not have sudo rights which would definitely screw up the install. Are you using a regular Raspbian image and are you using user pi?

btidey

Sun May 01, 2016 7:47 pm

stainy wrote:Hope you guys can help

I already have a nas mount with pi/pi as the ownerships.

If I use default raspimjpeg file that writes to the sd card.. the interface and the buttons work.
If I edit it to point to my mount.. it errors with this

pi@raspberrypi /etc $ mmal: mmal_port_disable: port vc.ril.video_encode:out:0(H264)(0x913980) is not enabled

Any ideas?

I want it to dump everything to the nas mount.. ( not writing to the card )

thanks

Darren
When you move the mount it is most important that user www-data has read write permissions on the mount.

Some people also choose to keep the main thumbnails etc on the SD card and creating a video folder under media specifically for holding the actual final mp4 videos. They then mount just the video subfolder on the NAS. The config files support a 'boxing_path' so that raw h264 video is recorded temporarily on the SD card and then moved to the final video path during the boxing to mp4. The reason for doing this is to avoid any real time speed problems in writing to the NAS.

stainy

Sun May 01, 2016 8:14 pm

Thanks for the info...

another question.. why can`t I add write to my share?

drwxr-xr-x 2 pi pi 0 Mar 14 15:37 nas

tried +x and 777 ... I unmounted and changed the underlying directory..

thanks

ZooC0d3

Mon May 02, 2016 9:21 am

Hi - loving the interface you folks have put together. I just started using the motion detection features and all of a sudden something is slowly but surely eating up space on the SD card.. Spent a few hours looking for what it might be (logs etc) but to no avail. No media that I can see/am aware of is being generated by the motion detection.

Why would something be using up space at an approx rate of 0.1% of an 8GB SD card (about 8MB) every 10 mins or so?

This is the first time since getting a Pi I have experienced windows-like (ie bloaty) behaviour - so I thought I would come and see about nipping it in the bud right at the source - hence the first post.

Edit: Since posting I have realised that perhaps my motionmask.pgm may have been the wrong size.. could that somehow cause this bloat - and if so where is this fat so I can trim it out?

Edit 2: What is the correct size for external motion mask? The manual really does not make it at all clear.

btidey

Mon May 02, 2016 12:59 pm

ZooC0d3 wrote:Hi - loving the interface you folks have put together. I just started using the motion detection features and all of a sudden something is slowly but surely eating up space on the SD card.. Spent a few hours looking for what it might be (logs etc) but to no avail. No media that I can see/am aware of is being generated by the motion detection.

Why would something be using up space at an approx rate of 0.1% of an 8GB SD card (about 8MB) every 10 mins or so?

This is the first time since getting a Pi I have experienced windows-like (ie bloaty) behaviour - so I thought I would come and see about nipping it in the bud right at the source - hence the first post.

Edit: Since posting I have realised that perhaps my motionmask.pgm may have been the wrong size.. could that somehow cause this bloat - and if so where is this fat so I can trim it out?

Edit 2: What is the correct size for external motion mask? The manual really does not make it at all clear.
motionmask image size should equal the values reported in the log file
Set up internal detect width=81 height=45

The wiki does give some values for the mask file but I have added the comment about the log.

Not sure about any leak at the moment. With internal motion on but no triggers du -sb /var/www 10 minutes apart and didn't show any change. sudo du -sb / 10 minutes apart gave values within a few hundred bytes.

ZooC0d3

Mon May 02, 2016 1:14 pm

btidey wrote:
motionmask image size should equal the values reported in the log file
Set up internal detect width=81 height=45

The wiki does give some values for the mask file but I have added the comment about the log.

Not sure about any leak at the moment. With internal motion on but no triggers du -sb /var/www 10 minutes apart and didn't show any change. sudo du -sb / 10 minutes apart gave values within a few hundred bytes.
Thanks for the quick reply/info, but sadly I am not using internal motion detection. The external set-up seems far more developed, so I am trying to use that.

Checked the wiki for improved clarity on external motion mask - still clear as mud, specifically:

'This picture MUST have the same width and height as the frames being captured...' is that the frames I am capturing - or RaspiMJPEG is capturing for external motion detection (which appears to be 320x240)?

btidey

Mon May 02, 2016 2:21 pm

ZooC0d3 wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply/info, but sadly I am not using internal motion detection. The external set-up seems far more developed, so I am trying to use that.

Checked the wiki for improved clarity on external motion mask - still clear as mud, specifically:

'This picture MUST have the same width and height as the frames being captured...' is that the frames I am capturing - or RaspiMJPEG is capturing for external motion detection (which appears to be 320x240)?
Extra material added on external mask. The width is determined by the preview image width. Motion is fetching from a url and ignores its own motion.conf width setting.

Note that the wiki is open for anybody to add extra or clarification material into.

Personally I use the internal detect all the time now. If you tune the settings then you can get reliable detection with few false triggers. It is also much lighter on processing.

ZooC0d3

Mon May 02, 2016 2:30 pm

btidey wrote:
Extra material added on external mask. The width is determined by the preview image width. Motion is fetching from a url and ignores its own motion.conf width setting.

Note that the wiki is open for anybody to add extra or clarification material into.

Personally I use the internal detect all the time now. If you tune the settings then you can get reliable detection with few false triggers. It is also much lighter on processing.
Thanks very much for that clarification about the capture size and internal vs external methods. I'll take your advice and try the internal method.. and also thanks for you + your team's great work, too.

stainy

Mon May 02, 2016 2:54 pm

OK... I fixed my mount so www-data can write to it..

drwxrwxrwx 2 pi www-data 0 Mar 16 10:05 nas

and I`ve changed the config for media_dir to be '/home/pi/nas/'

but when I start the cam I get this in the log.

10:26:45 : execl:[sudo mkdir -p /home/pi/pikrellcam/media /home/pi/nas/]
Make directory failed: /home/pi/pikrellcam/media /home/pi/nas/

not sure what it`s doing here? trying to make a dir on both /home/pi/pikrellcam/media and /home/pi/nas/ ??

btidey

Mon May 02, 2016 3:10 pm

stainy wrote:OK... I fixed my mount so www-data can write to it..

drwxrwxrwx 2 pi www-data 0 Mar 16 10:05 nas

and I`ve changed the config for media_dir to be '/home/pi/nas/'

but when I start the cam I get this in the log.

10:26:45 : execl:[sudo mkdir -p /home/pi/pikrellcam/media /home/pi/nas/]
Make directory failed: /home/pi/pikrellcam/media /home/pi/nas/

not sure what it`s doing here? trying to make a dir on both /home/pi/pikrellcam/media and /home/pi/nas/ ??
Now you have the nas permissions sorted then leave the original config alone with media_path still under /var/www

Now you have to link the nas media folder so that it replaces the SD card version.

See viewtopic.php?p=906108#p906108

Mettauk

Tue May 03, 2016 10:42 pm

GammaScorpii wrote:Try setting video resolution to half the size of the sensor (1640x1232). That's what 972p was for the old camera. Let me know if that works at 30fps because I'm thinking of getting the new one.
Tried it and it works just fine on V2 camera aside from infinity focus which seems to be a lens issue. Waiting to hear from Pi Towers/Trading!?
As humans we have been the same for a very very long time, technology changes how we do... not who we are as people.

jussi24

Wed May 04, 2016 10:03 am

Some experiences with the new camera v2:

- first of all: it can substitute a v1 completely and without software impact. Everything workes fine. I've got a normal and a NoIR camera v2 module here.
- the cheap lenses compensate the gain of 8MB over 5MPs: I don't see any differences when zooming into recorded jpgs.
- the web interface can be set to 3280x2464 pixel for snapshots and they are done so. Other settings (1080/full view) are performed as usual
- word spread that the camera is more light sensitive. I cannot confirm that. At least not with what raspimjpeg offers by now. Maybe there are some other parameter extensions like extra long exposure times but they make no sense with raspimjpeg. I also have got a china-piece of v1 camera with a big objective screwed on and this one gathers significantly more light and behaves better in low light conditions as v2/standard-v1. So in "normal mode" the new sensor doesn't behave different to v1 except...
- the setup times the cam needs to adapt rapid changing light environments are siginficantly longer compared to v1. This may be a subject to improve in new kernels.
- the latency of the cam matches the old one. Movements are displayed with the same delay (not surprisingly)
- noise seems to be as good as before
- the NoIR module seems to pass a wider spectrum of colors under normal light conditions like the old NoIR module (that was very bad). But the sensitivity regarding IR light is good. The colors are closer to "real" as seen on the old module.
- same with the stardard camera module with IR filter: colors are quite good.

I didn't do any experiments with HFR, super long exposure times, power consumption, mechanical aspects, full resolution video. Just what is reasonable when using with raspimjpeg as a webcam. So my conclusion is that v2 is in deed a direct replacement, less more, nothing less. And it would profit from better lenses.

btidey

Thu May 05, 2016 2:56 pm

konstantinj made a nice tweak to the download preview page. The file number at the top of each thumbnail is now a link which opens that file in a new tab in the browser. Multiple files can be opened this way.

Incorporated in latest version.

AFUDirk

Fri May 06, 2016 11:00 am

btidey wrote:
AFUDirk wrote:I want to drive through the interface additional servos, a zoom lens and a manual sharpness setting.
How can I insert in the web interface, additional buttons as they are already available for pan and tilt.
greeting
Dirk
The current pan tilt buttons get added in to the web interface when the file pipan_on or servo_on is present.

If you look in index.php you will find a function called pan_controls. This inserts into the web page the html to produce the buttons etc.

I would extend this to detect a new file to trigger adding in further buttons for the the extra controls you want.

Each current button is linked via an on_click action to a javascript function e.g left button calls servo_left. These functions are in pipan.js and send back to the server the action. The pipan.php at the servo then performs the action.

If you are using the servoblaster (server_on) method then it should be straightforward to add in more buttons to control more servos the same way.

Post back if you need more details.
Thank you for the info. Unfortunately, I too complicated, which I lack the experience and the time. But perhaps someone has interest, yet incorporate this option in the web interface.

ZooC0d3

Fri May 06, 2016 9:16 pm

btidey wrote:
Been using the internal method for a few days now - just a follow up to let you know that it's all running great. Thanks again for the help & advice.

GammaScorpii

Mon May 09, 2016 7:49 am

Does anyone know why, when recording videos and watching the video preview, I get a green hue on the right side of my video? I didn't notice it before because I was shooting in 1080p, but now that I'm using the full sensor with 1296x972, I can see that on the right edge of the image, only in dark areas, and only with videos, not stills, I get some weird discoloration. And it's usually green. If I lighten the image with ISO, I can get it to look good again, but does anyone know exactly what causes it?

Also, what exactly does "exposure" adjust to get its brightness? ISO?

Return to “Camera board”