Re: RPi Cam Web Interface

Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:05 am

Well the frustration continues. Fresh Jessie, no other setting changed, fresh sd, power supply is swapped and an error on first click. No settings changed, absolutely first click on 'motion detection begin', now I get as the poster at the top of page 131.

raspimjpeg error, reboot or restart

Worked through troubleshooting, checked links, tried the Jan 10th commit of raspimjpeg, no luck.

Would a bad camera module cause this? The feed is good, just when I click begin motion detect.

So then as in the elinux page, tried this:

pi@raspberrypi:~/RPi_Cam_Web_Interface $ ./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh start
Raspbian Jessie
File /etc/rc.local Exist.
File /etc/passwd Exist.
./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh: line 616: ./config.txt: Permission denied
./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh: line 617: ./config.txt: Permission denied
./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh: line 618: ./config.txt: Permission denied
./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh: line 623: ./config.txt: Permission denied
./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh: line 624: ./config.txt: Permission denied
./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh: line 625: ./config.txt: Permission denied
./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh: line 630: ./config.txt: Permission denied
./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh: line 631: ./config.txt: Permission denied
./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh: line 632: ./config.txt: Permission denied
./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh: line 637: ./config.txt: Permission denied
./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh: line 638: ./config.txt: Permission denied
./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh: line 639: ./config.txt: Permission denied
./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh: line 640: ./config.txt: Permission denied
./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh: line 641: ./config.txt: Permission denied

Any thoughts please would be welcomed

Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:09 am

NOOO! well yes, I mean finally. raspi-config again, enabled camera even though it was (and displaying a picture in the web interface!!!)

Motion now working. Phew

Happy days, thanks to top of page 131 poster, just re read your post about running raspi-config again, cheers!

spex357

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:18 pm

I seem to have mess up my storage menu, as I click on it the menu dissapears, is there a way of setting it manually?

djako

Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:28 am

Absolutely love RPi Cam Web Interface and thank you to everyone who has worked on it. I have it successfully running on 3 Pis and enjoy being able to keep tabs on my house from work.

I have a few questions after using it for a few weeks.

I've seen recently posts and commits talking about a storage menu or a way to change the location of the files being saved. I currently have the latest version (v6.0.35) and do not see any way to change the default location of the saved files.

The other thing I've noticed is that the motion detection doesn't seem to always pick up movement until the object is really close or further away but a large object (like a truck). I currently have the mode set as internal. I'm still kind of confused as to which mode I should be running in.

spex357

Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:47 am

I had it running on three Pi's also, but every day is different.
You have a file, RPi_Cam_Web_interface, in the home/pi/RPi_Cam_Web_interface folder, if your in desktop mode, double click it and pick "execute in terminal" Terminal should start and a menu appear, pick number three, "configure after install" pick number six "RPi Cam Storage Location". Make doubly sure you set the new one correctly.
I altered mine yesterday, and didn't proof read before accepting, and I couldn't get back to reset it as it had corrupted the RPi Cam file. I'm thinking if i'd spent a bit of time I could have found it manually and editted it. It was after all a bosting install with a steerable camera, all adjusted and smooth running, fantastic work by all involved.
I am on my fourth, re-format and re-install, all previous installs lastnight worked apart from the buttons, an error I have never ever, had before, three fails I thought, how odd, one had worked briefly but something happened within minutes and they stopped working.
I paid much attention to this mornings install over breakfast, rebooted, opened browser, buttons don't work, four in a row, link files are in place, all looks spot on, yet there is trickery afoot, the dog thinks its he's fault and goes to sulk in the hallway, ready to worry the postman.

spex357

Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:37 am

The other thing I've noticed is that the motion detection doesn't seem to always pick up movement until the object is really close or further away but a large object (like a truck). I currently have the mode set as internal. I'm still kind of confused as to which mode I should be running in.[/quote]

Motion is affected by contrast in the scene, a Blackbird against a pale background is easy, a Sparrow in amongst bracken is hard. Specifying the area can help a lot.

spex357

Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:59 am

The plot thickens, some buttons like Timelapse and Motion, now work in as much as they switch over, but no files are recorded. Record image and start Video don't work at all. :roll:

sej7278

Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:47 pm

does servoblaster support work anymore - i renamed ServoOn or whatever it is, upgraded to 6.0.33 and i never see the big green arrows.

spex357

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:19 am

Install number six and still no buttons working, watching the network feed in Chrome and all operations from any button are cancelled. This mornings efforts, configure menu, re do start at boot, reboot, no buttons, chmod 755 rc.local, reboot, no buttons, menu stop RPi, wait, start RPi, RPi buttons are working but not my direction ones, reboot, no buttons. ./RPi..remove.

spex357

Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:42 am

Number seven, a basic install, chmod u+x RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh instead of number sixes chmod u+x *.sh, normally I install Pi-pan before RPi, i left it out, touched nothing, accepted everything, rebooted, no buttons working. sudo chmod 755 /etc/rc.local, reboot, no buttons work, stop and start RPi, buttons are working, files recorded, reboot and no buttons work. :roll:

btidey

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:55 pm

sej7278 wrote:does servoblaster support work anymore - i renamed ServoOn or whatever it is, upgraded to 6.0.33 and i never see the big green arrows.
Just took a standard install of 6.0.35 did a cd /var/www (install folder) did a sudo cd servo_off servo_on Reloaded camera page and got the 4 blue pan direction arrows.

btidey

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:59 pm

spex357 wrote:Number seven, a basic install, chmod u+x RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh instead of number sixes chmod u+x *.sh, normally I install Pi-pan before RPi, i left it out, touched nothing, accepted everything, rebooted, no buttons working. sudo chmod 755 /etc/rc.local, reboot, no buttons work, stop and start RPi, buttons are working, files recorded, reboot and no buttons work. :roll:
Have you tried using the install.sh method as recommended in the wiki?

To avoid any problems with left over config files from previous attempts.
Start with a fresh Raspbian, open a terminal window and do the 4 steps in the wiki.

btidey

Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:08 am

djako wrote:Absolutely love RPi Cam Web Interface and thank you to everyone who has worked on it. I have it successfully running on 3 Pis and enjoy being able to keep tabs on my house from work.

I have a few questions after using it for a few weeks.

I've seen recently posts and commits talking about a storage menu or a way to change the location of the files being saved. I currently have the latest version (v6.0.35) and do not see any way to change the default location of the saved files.

The other thing I've noticed is that the motion detection doesn't seem to always pick up movement until the object is really close or further away but a large object (like a truck). I currently have the mode set as internal. I'm still kind of confused as to which mode I should be running in.
In the /etc/raspiconfig folder you can set different paths for video timelapse and image recordings including multiple organisational sub-folders. However, these should all be logically based under the web media root folder.

If you want to physically locate the elsewhere then use the standard linux link / mapping facilities to reposotion where the media folder actuallly resides. Many users do this to put this folder on say external drives or NAS storage. Just be careful then any mapped share must have read/write permissions for the www-data user

I always use internal motion now. You can tweak the settings to adjust sensitivity depending on the view and it can be beneficial to use a mask image to exclude any areas where you don't want motion picked up. For example, one of my cameras has a road in a corner and I use a mask to exclude triggers from cars. With some adjustment one can get good sensitivity and very few false triggers.

spex357

Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:27 am

@btidey imbibed with your simple sounding instruction I set off for number 7 install, thats possibly number ten this month, ( the arrival of some new servo's, Ir Leds, a motion sensor and other goodies, and a Pi3, meant pi's have all had a change around) I dread to think how many times since 2013, sudo raspi, do my stuff, enable camera, reboot, update, upgrade, reboot, mkdir pi-pan..... off I go, give the servo's a good test, reboot. I install Pi-pan as I have other things to do with a laser and Pilight for my Leds.
Git clone RPi
cd RPi
chmod u+x *.sh ( I have tried the other method lower on the wiki, end result is the same. Another way, sudo apt-install xrdp, access Rpi folder in desktop mode, open folder in terminal ,
./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh install) . Numerous times I have used this method to re-install and remove over the last few days,
reboot
re-start RPi error in browser, sudo raspi- re-enable camera
reboot
No buttons working
sudo chmod 755 /etc/rc.local
reboot
no buttons working.
The camera is live, all link files are ready and in place.
Chrome in Developer tools shows a red cancelled on all button presses, any help on what knowledge I can gain from Chrome would be helpfull, I have never used it before.
I can get it working if I start and stop RPi in terminal but it won't survive a reboot.
If I then go on to install the pipe and load the direction buttons, Chrome shows the same red cancelled for pipe also.
I updated my raspbian download to the 18.03.16 version days ago, I have nothing plugged in, no usb or gpio. I have in the past, installed it with everything still plugged in.
An early morning install is but ten minutes of my life, one cup of tea, I can even type it in whilst gobling my breakfast. I have never had this error before, it's a new one on me.
Update and upgrade are up2date. It worked perfectly, right up to changing the storage destination, on realising my error, going back to re-set it crashed the menu, I could see no option but to remove, that was the first time the buttons didn't work, i formatted, that didn't work, number eight is a possibility. 8-)

btidey

Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:38 am

spex357 wrote:@btidey imbibed with your simple sounding instruction I set off for number 7 install,
Background info

There are 2 different install methods described in the wiki
./RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh install

This was the original method and was much enhanced by miraaz adding menus etc.

When jessie raspbian came out there were quite a lot of changes from wheezy and broke the installer. I decided it was easiest for me to break up and simplify the installer and this is the primary method as described in the wiki.
It is the one where you use the
./install.sh
method.

It also uses a menu to gather the config parameters but then applies them all in one go which simplifies the internal logic quite a lot. If one wants to change the config one then just re-runs the ./install.sh

miraaz has subsequently updated the original install scripts to support Jessie

So I am best placed to help out if the install.sh method is used. I don't use or change the original method myself and miraaz should be able to help if you want to use that one.

I would recommend starting simple so everything is working and then adding other stuff in. I don't have to re-enable using raspi-config etc when I do it this way. I would also not try to launch the installers from the desktop. Open a terminal window and just type in the commands as per the wiki. My cameras operate headless so I use ssh to do everything remotely.

spex357

Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:57 am

As I have said in my previous posts, Just to clarify, chmod u+x *.sh or if that doesn't work after a reboot and no buttons, reformat, then chmod u+x RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh. They are the only two options on the way in, over the last few days I've tried both, numerous times with the same result, the buttons don't work. After numerous attempts at both methods, try the desktop route, try terminal on desktop, try terminal in the folder, try any route, I am at one with the Pi 8-)

btidey

Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:22 am

The javascript method for navigating faster in the download page unfortunately broke the operation if the index count went above 9999 or if subfolders were used below the media folder. Both items now fixed in latest version.

btidey

Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:25 am

spex357 wrote:As I have said in my previous posts, Just to clarify, chmod u+x *.sh or if that doesn't work after a reboot and no buttons, reformat, then chmod u+x RPi_Cam_Web_Interface_Installer.sh. They are the only two options on the way in, over the last few days I've tried both, numerous times with the same result, the buttons don't work. After numerous attempts at both methods, try the desktop route, try terminal on desktop, try terminal in the folder, try any route, I am at one with the Pi 8-)
I know this is frustrating but I just want to be certain about this as you haven't said so explicitly in your posts. Having done the chmod u+x *.sh do you then run ./install.sh?

spex357

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:22 pm

Arggggh no I run chmod u+x *.sh and then ./RPi...install. This morning about 06:30 I missed off the full stop of ./install, (your message had registered) but rightly so it errored. On retyping I went old school and ./RPi_
I've just put it on another card with ./install and although it took ages (the difference between pi2 and 3 probably) it rebooted and all is ok. :lol: A big thanks for your help in tracking it down, I was thinking I would miss the last bit of sunshine in the holidays, ;)

cormad

Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:49 am

Trying revive an old camera and Pi2. It was working today and I thought I would upgrade to Jessie.
I know have Jessie installed but my camera module isn't working. I turned it on through GUI and CLI. I followed the instructions
git clone https://github.com/silvanmelchior/RPi_C ... erface.git
cd RPi_Cam_Web_Interface
chmod u+x *.sh

Nothing happened with chmod u+x *.sh. Am I missing something???
No interface when I go to IP address.

Jeff

btidey

Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:38 am

cormad wrote:Trying revive an old camera and Pi2. It was working today and I thought I would upgrade to Jessie.
I know have Jessie installed but my camera module isn't working. I turned it on through GUI and CLI. I followed the instructions
cd RPi_Cam_Web_Interface
chmod u+x *.sh

Jeff
After chmod you have to run the installer

From within the RPi_Cam_Web_Interface folder

./install.sh

Note the . at the front that is important to that the OS knows where to look for the script.
I'll try to make this clearer on the wiki

The first install takes a little while as it has to get the various components like Apache etc. Subsequent installs are much faster.

cormad

Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:34 pm

btidey wrote:
cormad wrote:Trying revive an old camera and Pi2. It was working today and I thought I would upgrade to Jessie.
cd RPi_Cam_Web_Interface
chmod u+x *.sh

Jeff
After chmod you have to run the installer

From within the RPi_Cam_Web_Interface folder

./install.sh

Note the . at the front that is important to that the OS knows where to look for the script.
I'll try to make this clearer on the wiki

The first install takes a little while as it has to get the various components like Apache etc. Subsequent installs are much faster.
I tried that and nothing happens, it just returns to the next line rate away

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cd RPi_Cam_Web_Interface
pi@raspberrypi:~/RPi_Cam_Web_Interface $ chmod u+x *.sh
pi@raspberrypi:~/RPi_Cam_Web_Interface $ ./install.sh
pi@raspberrypi:~/RPi_Cam_Web_Interface $

Start over with a fresh image ??

btidey

Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:22 pm

cormad wrote: I tried that and nothing happens, it just returns to the next line rate away

I don't understand ./install.sh doing nothing; unless you had previously run the other installler which might confuse things as they both use a config.txt file but of different format.

Try deleting any config.txt file in that folder and re-run ./install.sh There should also be an install.txt file produced which logs the activity of install.sh

cormad

Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:38 pm

btidey wrote:
cormad wrote: I tried that and nothing happens, it just returns to the next line rate away

I don't understand ./install.sh doing nothing; unless you had previously run the other installler which might confuse things as they both use a config.txt file but of different format.

Try deleting any config.txt file in that folder and re-run ./install.sh There should also be an install.txt file produced which logs the activity of install.sh
Thanks btidey,
I decided to try PiKrellCam and was able to get it working rate away.
Thanks Again!

bic

Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:45 pm

I have my cams in motion state. Once in a while it will 'freeze' during recording. The web interface doesn't freeze, just the preview image (and no further recordings take place). The preview page after reboot always has that last recording in "Busy" state. I can reboot through the web interface. What service can I restart instead of rebooting the pi? Also can there be a check, when the preview is not being updated to restart that service automatically? This has been an issue on all versions.

Also what service/script do you use to keep the disc from becoming full?

Great project, keep up the good work!

Return to “Camera board”