DeanC

2 camera boards for one RPi

Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:33 pm

I have been looking at adding 2 camera modules to a single RPi. I have noticed that all instructions for installing the camera module use the connector right behind the ethernet port.

But there is another connector of the same type near the sd card. Can another camera module work from this connector as well?

Ultimately I would like to add a regular camera module and a Pi Noir camera module to the same board. But only run one camera at a time based on the time of day (Pi Noir for sundown). Is this possible?
We 'idiot proofed' the world, and now it's full of idiots!

RaTTuS

Re: 2 camera boards for one RPi

Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:35 pm

no there is only one camera interface exported
the other is a Display socket
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

karlkiste

Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:16 pm

I've been thinking about how I would do a day/night camera.

I'd buy a IR-cut filter. They're not very cheap, you can get them from photography shops. Using a servo, I'd move the filter in front of the lens to get right colors during the day, and remove it at night to make use of IR illumination.

RaTTuS

Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:18 pm

a 2nd RPi would be the best option IMO :)
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

DeanC

Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:47 pm

What about splicing two cables together except for the their power. Then I run the power from each camera through a gpio pin which I can set to high. Whichever module has the power would be the only thing transmitting the data through the cable to the RPi.

But then what voltage does the camera run on, and which line carries the power? I am still trying to find a copy of the camera modules schematics that include more than just the dimensions.
We 'idiot proofed' the world, and now it's full of idiots!

karlkiste

Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:27 pm

Err, the signals on some traces of the camera cable are quite fast. They may not like to be forked to a powered-down transmitter.

You can try, but I presume you won't get far with this approach.

donde

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:54 pm

How about an IC switch that has one port in and 2 ports out? This would give isolation between the cameras. But, I don't know if such an animal exists for a high speed data transfer, or enough wires for the ports.

jbeale

Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:06 pm

If you just want to switch between daytime with IR filter, and nighttime without IR filter, I think the cleanest approach is to get a Pi-NoIR module and a small servo that flips an external IR filter in front of the lens, or not, as required. This is how standard day/night security cameras work. Every morning and every evening, if you stand next to such a camera at the right time you can hear a little "click" as the transition happens. The R-Pi has plenty of GPIO pins to control this kind of thing; I'm almost surprised someone hasn't marketed an IR filter + servo kit already.

cnr437

Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:14 pm

Hi there is a campaign for connecting more than one camera module to one raspberry pi therefore it can be solution for multiple camera systems.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ivpo ... /x/8229812

Return to “Camera board”