fern2411

Driver for camera module not found

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:04 am

I am working on raspberry pi camera. I recently upgarded my pi and after that i am unable to get the preview on the screen.
So i started serching for the solution of this problem and i found this particular webpage.
http://www.linux-projects.org/modules/s ... e&artid=14
And i install the uv4l-raspicam module. The installation of this module went smooth. So after performing a reboot operation on my pi i run the following command on LXterminal

$ uv4l --driver raspicam --auto-video_nr --width 640 --height 480 --encoding jpeg

I got the following response.

<notice> [core] Trying driver 'raspicam'
<warning> [core] Driver not found
<notice> [core] Loading external library libraspicam.so
<notice> [driver] Raspicam Video4Linux2 Driver v1.7 built Aug 18 2013
<notice> [driver] Selected format: 640x480, encoding: jpeg, JPEG Still Capture, max. 30 fps
<warning> [driver] NOTE: you might need to run the driver with a RealTime scheduling (--sched-rr), if you are going to use the (slow) Read I/O interface at high resolutions.
<notice> [core] Device detected!
<notice> [core] Registering device node /dev/video0

I am confused on this response. Is it that Raspberry Pi Camera module drivers are missing. If they are missing, is there any procedure to install back these drivers on pi.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

RaTTuS

Re: Driver for camera module not found

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:15 am

what does
vcgencmd get_camera
say
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:08 pm

Can you post the result of

raspistill -v -o james.jpg

But my first guess would be a cable has come undone.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

RpiName

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:22 pm

fern2411 wrote: <notice> [core] Trying driver 'raspicam'
<warning> [core] Driver not found
<notice> [core] Loading external library libraspicam.so
<notice> [driver] Raspicam Video4Linux2 Driver v1.7 built Aug 18 2013
<notice> [driver] Selected format: 640x480, encoding: jpeg, JPEG Still Capture, max. 30 fps
<warning> [driver] NOTE: you might need to run the driver with a RealTime scheduling (--sched-rr), if you are going to use the (slow) Read I/O interface at high resolutions.
<notice> [core] Device detected!
<notice> [core] Registering device node /dev/video0
From the output everything went well. You can access the device through /dev/video0. Read the manual to know how to enable or disable the preview window via command line and eventually check the board connections to the display if you really don't see the preview window.

fern2411

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:30 am

Thanks jamesh for your reply.

The result of raspistill -v -o james.jpg is stated below

raspistill Camera App v1.3.2

Width 2592, Height 1944, quality 85, filename james.jpg
Time delay 5000, Raw no
Thumbnail enabled Yes, width 64, height 48, quality 35
Link to latest frame enabled no
Full resolution preview No

Preview Yes, Full screen Yes
Preview window 0,0,1024,768
Opacity 255
Sharpness 0, Contrast 0, Brightness 50
Saturation 0, ISO 0, Video Stabilisation No, Exposure compensation 0
Exposure Mode 'auto', AWB Mode 'auto', Image Effect 'none'
Metering Mode 'average', Colour Effect Enabled No with U = 128, V = 128
Rotation 0, hflip No, vflip No
ROI x 0.000000, y 0.000000, w 1.000000 h 1.000000
Camera component done
Encoder component done
Starting component connection stage
Connecting camera stills port to encoder input port
Opening output file james.jpg
Enabling encoder output port
Starting capture 1

fern2411

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:41 am

Thanks RaTTuS for your reply

Output of vcgencmd get_camera is

supported=1 detected=1

jamesh

Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:09 am

fern2411 wrote:Thanks jamesh for your reply.

The result of raspistill -v -o james.jpg is stated below

raspistill Camera App v1.3.2

Width 2592, Height 1944, quality 85, filename james.jpg
Time delay 5000, Raw no
Thumbnail enabled Yes, width 64, height 48, quality 35
Link to latest frame enabled no
Full resolution preview No

Preview Yes, Full screen Yes
Preview window 0,0,1024,768
Opacity 255
Sharpness 0, Contrast 0, Brightness 50
Saturation 0, ISO 0, Video Stabilisation No, Exposure compensation 0
Exposure Mode 'auto', AWB Mode 'auto', Image Effect 'none'
Metering Mode 'average', Colour Effect Enabled No with U = 128, V = 128
Rotation 0, hflip No, vflip No
ROI x 0.000000, y 0.000000, w 1.000000 h 1.000000
Camera component done
Encoder component done
Starting component connection stage
Connecting camera stills port to encoder input port
Opening output file james.jpg
Enabling encoder output port
Starting capture 1
I am guessing at either a dodgy connection on the cable or on the PCB, or a lack of power.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

fern2411

Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:33 am

Thanks jamesh for your reply.

I have done continuity test of the flex cable but i didn't find any break in the cable.
I am powering my pi using a 5V 2A power supply.

jamesh

Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:46 am

fern2411 wrote:Thanks jamesh for your reply.

I have done continuity test of the flex cable but i didn't find any break in the cable.
I am powering my pi using a 5V 2A power supply.
Check the connector from the camera module to the camera pcb - its labelled 'sunny'. Pop it off them click it back on again. Should be a very small click as it re-engages.

fern2411

Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:33 pm

So this is how it is .......
I had purchased the camera module from element14 on 3rd September. I was all excited about the RasPi cam, it worked perfectly fine and delivered the ressult upto my expectations.

So i even started working on OpenCV on RasPi cam with the help of the following site http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/4207 and completed the initial part till raspistill. Then i started to work on GUI using wxPython.

It took me 10 days to finish the initial part of my GUI for the camera. So i wanted to embed camera preview onto the GUI. Then i tried starting the camera but the preview didn't open up.

Then these are the following things i tried:
1. Disabling and enabling the camera from raspi-config and reboot the pi but it did not help.
2. I also did sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgarde, but even that didnt help.
3. I removed the flex cable from the CSI connector and the camera PCB and reinserted it. Also tried swaping the flex cable. Even checked for continuity of the flex cable which was fine.
4. So now i suspect the issue is with power hence i enable the camera LED which i had earlier disable the camera LED. The power adapter which i used has 5V 2A power rating.
5. Tried using camera on different PIs since i have 3 of them.
6. Tried using different SD cards also tried fresh installation of OS, but no help whatsoever :?:
7. I also snapped the yellow sunny connector on the camera PCB but didn't work.

So i was wondering to my self if this was the beginning of the end of the RasPi camera. That is when i approach the forum for help to know what is wrong about the RasPi camera.

Thanks in advance.

All help is appreciated.

topguy

Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:53 pm

Just to avoid one thing that isnt mentioned yet. You are still working with a display connected directly to the Pi and not doing remote desktop or anything ?

fern2411

Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:35 am

by topguy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:53 pm
Just to avoid one thing that isnt mentioned yet. You are still working with a display connected directly to the Pi and not doing remote desktop or anything ?
No i am still working with a display connected directly to the Pi.

kaos

Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:16 am

fern2411 wrote:2. I also did sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgarde, but even that didnt help.
Did you also do sudo rpi-update ? I think that is the one that updates the camera application.
fern2411 wrote:4. So now i suspect the issue is with power hence i enable the camera LED which i had earlier disable the camera LED. The power adapter which i used has 5V 2A power rating.
That should be plenty of power, if it is actually living up to it's promise. Do you have a multimeter to check the actual voltage between TP1 and TP2 when you are trying to take a picture? Alternatively, you might try another power supply, even if it has somewhat lower rating, as long as it isn't much less than 1A. Also, if your power supply has a USB port (as opposed to an attached lead) and uses a standard micro-USB lead, the lead might be to lightweight to carry the current, even if the power supply itself is working perfectly.

Hth, Kári.

jamesh

Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:46 am

I recently had trouble with a 2A benchtop power supply, but the wiring I was using soaked up so much power the camera was erratic.

See http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... ower+story

fern2411

Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:09 pm

by kaos » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:46 pm
fern2411 wrote:
2. I also did sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgarde, but even that didnt help.

Did you also do sudo rpi-update ? I think that is the one that updates the camera application.

fern2411 wrote:
4. So now i suspect the issue is with power hence i enable the camera LED which i had earlier disable the camera LED. The power adapter which i used has 5V 2A power rating.

That should be plenty of power, if it is actually living up to it's promise. Do you have a multimeter to check the actual voltage between TP1 and TP2 when you are trying to take a picture? Alternatively, you might try another power supply, even if it has somewhat lower rating, as long as it isn't much less than 1A. Also, if your power supply has a USB port (as opposed to an attached lead) and uses a standard micro-USB lead, the lead might be to lightweight to carry the current, even if the power supply itself is working perfectly.

Hth, Kári.
Thanks for your reply.

I had done rpi-update but it didn't solve the issue.

I have tested the voltage between TP1 and TP2 it is 4.72 V in both the idle case (when Pi does nothing) as well as when command like raspistill -v -o james.jpg is given using LXTerminal.

kaos

Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:58 pm

Hmm, that is on the low side, and actually outside the oft quoted 5V +/- 5% TTL specification, if only just. I'd be mildly surprised though, if it turns out the camera module / raspi is that finicky. Still, as you have explored pretty much all other possibilities, short of a broken module, it might be worthwhile checking again with a different power supply, if you can get hold of one. If you do, please let us know the results.

B.t.w., that the voltage doesn't change at all when you take the picture suggests that the supply and wiring is capable of delivering enough power, but the output voltage seems to be set rather low.

Regards, Kári.

fern2411

Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:42 am

I have tired all the possible ways for making the RasPi camera back to life, but the camera module did not resspond. So i decided to get my RasPi camera module replaced and thanks to Element14, i got the RasPi camera module replaced.

Alas :!: , the old RasPi cam is hence declared dead.

Now i am using the new RasPi camera module and I have notice a few changes in the hardware. Could anyone explain to me what are the new hardware upgrades to the RasPi camera module :?:

So were the previous issues due to lack of hardware design :?:

jamesh

Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:54 am

fern2411 wrote:I have tired all the possible ways for making the RasPi camera back to life, but the camera module did not resspond. So i decided to get my RasPi camera module replaced and thanks to Element14, i got the RasPi camera module replaced.

Alas :!: , the old RasPi cam is hence declared dead.

Now i am using the new RasPi camera module and I have notice a few changes in the hardware. Could anyone explain to me what are the new hardware upgrades to the RasPi camera module :?:

So were the previous issues due to lack of hardware design :?:
What revision board do you have? And what revision was the old one?

I'm not aware of any changes, or problems with the design, old or new.

fern2411

Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:09 pm

I am currently using RasPi cam rev1.3 and the earlier camera module was also rev 1.3

Unfortunately i dont have the faulty camera module else could have shown what exactly i meant by h/w changes.

i noticed the use of a component that looks like a crystal oscillator and few newly introducted capacitors. So i was jus wondering Y??? :geek:

jamesh

Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:40 pm

fern2411 wrote:I am currently using RasPi cam rev1.3 and the earlier camera module was also rev 1.3

Unfortunately i dont have the faulty camera module else could have shown what exactly i meant by h/w changes.

i noticed the use of a component that looks like a crystal oscillator and few newly introducted capacitors. So i was jus wondering Y??? :geek:
If they both say rev 1.3 then they should both be the same, which tallies with my knowledge - the only production release has been 1.3 I think.. As standard there is an 25Mhz oscillator on board and other components on the back. Although I've got a 1.0 so mine is not representative.

Brown20

Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:26 pm

Hello fern2411

Did you found a fix for your problem, if yes can you please share how to resolve this issue.

brian92127

Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:36 am

I am also curious if you found a solution. Having the same problem here using that Linux Projects source. I can't get any of the "examples" to work. Any help out there?

RaTTuS

Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:04 am

necro thread
make sure you are up to date with the latest everythign
i.e.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y
sudo rpi-update
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe