arditi

Re: Adapt RPi camera to round cable (not flat flex) ?

Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:30 pm

jbeale wrote:I just got a set of these flex<->HDMI connector boards and am happy to report that it works fine using the 2.5 foot "Ultra Thin HDMI Cable" from SiliconMicroDisplay.com which is only 2.6 mm in diameter. That makes it much easier to bend than a normal HDMI cable, and it makes the camera board easier to position without having to bend the wide stiff flex cable.
That cable doesn't seem to be available now. I can report, however that the following cable available for cheap on eBay, does work fine:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271578100364?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
It's not quite as thin, and probably not as flexible, but by my measurement (with a ruler not a caliper) it is under 4 mm in thickness.

DaKluit

Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:19 pm

Hey CBST,

Do you still have some boards available? As i would like to connect a different cam to the Pi and the flatcable is also to fragile for my purposes.

Btw, why does your method work and the module i found on kickstarter doesn't?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... escription

Ronald
cbst wrote:I finally got around to building a couple of boards to convert the Raspi CSI Cam FPC to an HDMI-style connector. They work great, even with my longest cable (10m - shown below).
extender.JPG
As an added bonus, the converter board tucks nicely into the widely available plastic camera shells.
extender2.JPG
I'm going to make up a few more boards for my use. I could probably build a few extras if anyone else is interested. Let me know via PM by July 20.

jbeale

A camera problem, and a solution

Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:01 pm

I don't mean this as a criticism, since you can't expect indoor electronics to work reliably outdoors. Just in case it helps anyone else.

I put a pair of the RPi-cam <-> HDMI adaptor boards to work in a partly sheltered, but undeniably outdoor location and it worked fine for some months. But after a recent period of rain, it seems moisture combined with the flux residue on the board to cause some bad camera images (see example below), and then no images at all. I gave it a day and a number of reboots, the R-Pi was fine but the camera did not start again. I had actually put some hot-melt glue on the HDMI connector boards thinking this would protect it, but it did not completely seal it, in fact it seems to have just trapped the water (I could see the condensation on the board after peeling off the glue). At any rate, a bit of isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush cleaned off the flux. I put some (different) hot-melt glue on again and the whole thing is now back and working, hopefully for longer this time.

jbeale

Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:13 pm

DaKluit wrote:...i would like to connect a different cam to the Pi and the flatcable is also to fragile for my purposes.
Btw, why does your method work and the module i found on kickstarter doesn't?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... escription
Please note this is a simple passive adaptor board which allows you to (mis-) use round HDMI cables to carry the R-Pi camera signals. There is nothing "HDMI" about it except allowing you to use commonly available (and more flexible) cables to connect the R-Pi camera and its proprietary MIPI CSI-2 signals. It does not use or translate HDMI signals at all, and it does not allow you to use any other type of camera.

The failed kickstarter module was trying to accept genuine HDMI input which is a much different thing.

DaKluit

Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:45 am

Ah thank you, jbeale. :)
Well, getting the camera away from the pi with a more flexible and durable cable was a priority. And if an hdmi cam could be used, would be perfect. Sadly, it's not a perfect world. So just moving the cam away with an hdmi cable is sufficient for now.
:)

jbeale

Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:26 am

arditi wrote:
jbeale wrote:I just got a set of these flex<->HDMI connector boards and am happy to report that it works fine using the 2.5 foot "Ultra Thin HDMI Cable" from SiliconMicroDisplay.com which is only 2.6 mm in diameter. That makes it much easier to bend than a normal HDMI cable, and it makes the camera board easier to position without having to bend the wide stiff flex cable.
That cable doesn't seem to be available now. I can report, however that the following cable available for cheap on eBay, does work fine:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271578100364?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
It's not quite as thin, and probably not as flexible, but by my measurement (with a ruler not a caliper) it is under 4 mm in thickness.
Good find, thanks for that info! I'm not sure, but the very thin cable *may* be available from
http://www.siliconmicrodisplay.com/vect ... ables.html
but it is around $20. Be sure you get the shorter version < 3 feet long; the longer ones use a HDMI signal amplifier chip internally, so it would not work with the R-Pi camera.

cbst

Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:23 am

Ronald,

Yes, I've got 4 pairs of converter boards left which I'm selling for $25 a pair (including postage in the US or add $5 for postage to most international destinations).

-CBST

rustyshackleford

Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:01 am

I was just trying to deal with the flex cable, camera, rpi, ethernet and USB power, and ended up blowing the poly fuse. My first thought was: "There has to be a better way". Looking at the schematics, my next thought was: an HDMI cable would be perfect for this. I can't believe some of the other quirky ideas other people have tried, including more of the same flex. My thought was to cut off the HDMI cable ends and solder the bare wires directly to something slightly more impedance controlled than the eBay "AlienSpec CSI DSI ribbon connector". But your approach is much more "off the shelf". I would like to try a set if you have any left.

My next project is to adapt the rpi PWM output to a DC iris control for C/CS mount lenses on the rpi camera. I think the Panasonic AN41919A might be the ticket, though it also requires SPI to program its registers. In the end, I envision an all analog design with a couple of op amps as a PID controller. Has anyone tackled this problem?

rustyshackleford

Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:58 am

Amazon lists the "SiliconMicroDisplay ULTRA THIN Premium High Speed HDMI Cable (Type A-A) 2.5ft" for $11.99 with "prime" shipping. I'm going to try out a number of "slim/thin" cables from Amazon. I'll report back on what I learn.

Goussenberg

Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:29 pm

Hi CBST,

Do you still have some boards available? I would like to build a custom eye tracker helmet so it would be perfect with a small round cable. Do not hesitate to send me a pm.

thanks !

Tim

dchapma1

Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:57 pm

Does anyone have the part numbers for the 15 pin FFC and HDMI connectors that were used in this example? (Mouser / Digi-Key).

I am investigating doing this for a potential project but cannot seem to be able to find them in the catalogs

Thanks

Don

cbst

Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:56 pm

Tim,

I've recently received a new supply of bare boards and parts, so anyone who is interested in purchasing converter boards can PM me. Each pair are $25 postage paid in the US or $30 postage paid for most of the rest of the world.

Don,

I've been purchasing the connectors off eBay from suppliers in China. PM me and I can send you some details. I've got a good stock of them on hand and we could probably work something out if you are interested.

r08shaw

Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:13 am

I'm interested in the converter boards. Can you PM me with the details of where you purchase them from.

plasma69

Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:00 am

I would like to order from you a pair of the conversion boards for the rip camera. How do I proceed. New user can't PM. Could you PM me with ordering instruction please.

Thanks

scl

Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:44 am

Wow, great project !
I'm also very interested.
Can we order ? :D

jvandenbroek

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:29 pm

Hi,

I'd also like to order a pair of converter boards, could you pm me with details? Thanks!

electronicsguy

Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:35 pm

cbst wrote:I finally got around to building a couple of boards to convert the Raspi CSI Cam FPC to an HDMI-style connector. They work great, even with my longest cable (10m - shown below).
Hi cbst,
Great work! very impressive. Are you willing to upload your board designs as an open-hardware solution? Maybe eagle files?
blog: https://electronicsguy.wordpress.com
github: https://github.com/electronicsguy

DougieLawson

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:23 pm

Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

rahlquist

Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:00 pm

DougieLawson wrote:How about this:
https://twitter.com/tindie/status/580059832138407936
You sir are one heck of a resource. You wouldn't happen to have seen anyone design any open source cases yet for this?

DougieLawson

Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:02 pm

rahlquist wrote: You sir are one heck of a resource. You wouldn't happen to have seen anyone design any open source cases yet for this?
What are these things called "cases"? We don't need no stinking cases.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

tallika_fan

Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:38 pm

rahlquist wrote:
You sir are one heck of a resource. You wouldn't happen to have seen anyone design any open source cases yet for this?
This seems like it'd be a good solution as hdmi cables are ten a plenty. reading the technical info earlier in the post though it'd be interesting to see how the signal copes.

rahlquist

Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:30 pm

DOH! I had to wait till payday for these and now they are sold out :(

Grrrr.

r08shaw

Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:36 pm

rahlquist wrote:
Like this...

https://twitter.com/r5haw/status/578657138999984129

Not for the specific configuration shown in the 'tindie' tweet, but I made something similar for the converter boards from cbst.

I got a short ribbon cable and then doubled it over to get the boards back to back.

Let me know if you want anymore info...

spikedrba

Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:14 pm

r08shaw wrote: Let me know if you want anymore info...
I would, thanks!

In fact I'm trying to understand as much in detail as possible what really are the requirements and constraints of making your own cable. Is it inappropriate to just think that it boils down to a bunch of 2x2 data/control lanes separated by ground and one power lane?
In which case, if I could get hold of one of those mipi csi connectors (anybody got a lead to share? couldn't find them on alibaba or ebay), anything stopping me from just soldering a bunch of cables to it as long as I keep the pairs separated (just like it does in the original CSI cable with the ground lines)?

thanks,

Spike

Ryanjohnston4

Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:22 pm

extender.JPG
As an added bonus, the converter board tucks nicely into the widely available plastic camera shells.
extender2.JPG
I'm going to make up a few more boards for my use. I could probably build a few extras if anyone else is interested. Let me know via PM by July 20.

Hi CBST. This looks great! Any chance I can order a pair? That would be awesome! Pm me with details and payment info or ryanjohnston4@mac.com

Thanks!ooking forward to trying them!

Ryan

Return to “Camera board”