kbisgaard

Camera number 3!

Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:14 pm

Hello,

I recently ordered my first raspberry pi camera. It was working for about an hour, before it "broke". Ofcourse i tried everything mentioned on every forum about how to fix the camera... Reinstalling image, sudo update & upgrade and so on.. I couldn't get it to work. I then ordered a new camera, wich turned out to have the same problem, only this time it didn't work at all... I then ordered yet another one with the same result.. This got me thinking... Maybe something is wrong with my Raspberry Pi, and not the cameras at all. Is this possible?

technoducky

Re: Camera number 3!

Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:28 pm

There is always a possibility, especially if two cameras have managed to fail on the same Pi.
A little more info would make finding the problem easier.

Johnny5C

Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:11 pm

You are following ESD precautions when attaching to your pi right?

jbeale

Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:39 pm

try different power supply, just in case?

http://elinux.org/Rpi_Camera_Module#Troubleshooting
Troubleshooting
Camera not working at all

Example error message: "mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1:ENOMEM)"

Make sure the flex cable is inserted the correct way on both ends, and each connector has the locking tab engaged. The RPi + camera draws about 260 mA more current when recording video, than without the camera. The Model B is about 550 mA by itself, so camera use pushes it over 800 mA. Some power supplies, cables, and polyfuses may not maintain 5V onboard at this current load well enough for reliable operation. You can check this with a voltmeter across TP1 and TP2.

In some cases, the micro-connector from the camera module to the camera board PCB has been loose. This can be fixed by removing and re-seating the small (tiny!) yellow flex cable connector labelled "P5V04A SUNNY" on the camera board. It makes a click when it is fully seated.

kbisgaard

Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:05 pm

I have always been really carefull when handeling the camera. Made sure to ground my self to prevent static shock.
My problem is, that the camera stalls when i try to take a picture. RPI writes out "Starting Capture 1", and i have to do ctrl+c to get out of it...
I have already tried several different powersupplies with no luck...

jbeale

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:44 pm

kbisgaard wrote:My problem is, that the camera stalls when i try to take a picture. RPI writes out "Starting Capture 1", and i have to do ctrl+c to get out of it...
Let me just make sure we're on the same page. When I type raspistill -n -v -o test30.jpg, I get the output shown below, and the test30.jpg file is written at the end. So you get exactly the same thing, except that your Pi hangs up after the "Starting Capture 1" line?

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi ~/mmal $ raspistill -n -v -o test30.jpg

raspistill Camera App v1.2

Width 2592, Height 1944, quality 85, filename test30.jpg
Time delay 5000, Raw no
Thumbnail enabled Yes, width 64, height 48, quality 35
Link to latest frame enabled  no
Full resolution preview No

Preview No, Full screen Yes
Preview window 0,0,1024,768
Opacity 255
Sharpness 0, Contrast 0, Brightness 50
Saturation 0, ISO 400, Video Stabilisation No, Exposure compensation 0
Exposure Mode 'auto', AWB Mode 'auto', Image Effect 'none'
Metering Mode 'average', Colour Effect Enabled No with U = 128, V = 128
Rotation 0, hflip No, vflip No
ROI x 0.000000, y 0.000000, w 1.000000 h 1.000000
Camera component done
Encoder component done
Starting component connection stage
Connecting camera stills port to encoder input port
Opening output file test30.jpg
Enabling encoder output port
Starting capture 1
Finished capture 1
Closing down
Close down completed, all components disconnected, disabled and destroyed

TideMan

Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:27 am

kbisgaard wrote:... when i try to take a picture. RPI writes out "Starting Capture 1", and i have to do ctrl+c to get out of it...
I have already tried several different powersupplies with no luck...
I had this exact problem, except that ctrl+c did not work and I had to re-boot. But when I replaced my 0.5 amp power supply (which had worked perfectly for me for months until I installed the camera board) with a 1 amp supply, it worked and has not failed since.

kbisgaard

Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:14 am

jbeale wrote:
kbisgaard wrote:My problem is, that the camera stalls when i try to take a picture. RPI writes out "Starting Capture 1", and i have to do ctrl+c to get out of it...
Let me just make sure we're on the same page. When I type raspistill -n -v -o test30.jpg, I get the output shown below, and the test30.jpg file is written at the end. So you get exactly the same thing, except that your Pi hangs up after the "Starting Capture 1" line?

Time delay 5000, Raw no

Opacity 255
Camera component done
Encoder component done
Starting capture 1
Finished capture 1
Closing down
Yes that is exactly what happens.. And the file i written, but it dosn't contain anything!

I have tried both a 750mA and a 1A power supply.. Still not working..

kaos

Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:36 am

I would suggest that for working with the camera, a 1A supply is the practical minimum, at least if you are using any other peripherals at the same time. And if you are using particularly power hungry peripherals (f.x. some types of WiFi adapters) you may need more.

Of course, power supply problems, though common, are not the only possibility; it is indeed possible that your Raspi is damaged. I suggest borrowing a voltmeter if you can, and checking the actual voltage while taking a picture, just to settle the power supply question once and for all (there are second rate power supplies out there, so just because it says 1A on the case, it isn't certain that it can deliver that). If the power supply checks out, I think it's time to test another Raspi.

--
Kári

kbisgaard

Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:47 pm

kaos wrote:I would suggest that for working with the camera, a 1A supply is the practical minimum, at least if you are using any other peripherals at the same time. And if you are using particularly power hungry peripherals (f.x. some types of WiFi adapters) you may need more.

Of course, power supply problems, though common, are not the only possibility; it is indeed possible that your Raspi is damaged. I suggest borrowing a voltmeter if you can, and checking the actual voltage while taking a picture, just to settle the power supply question once and for all (there are second rate power supplies out there, so just because it says 1A on the case, it isn't certain that it can deliver that). If the power supply checks out, I think it's time to test another Raspi.

--
Kári
Sounds like i should try out some more powersupplies... So i will do that and return :)
If it dosn't make a difference, i will order a new RPI...

kbisgaard

Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:32 am

I didn't have any powersupply that delivers more than 1A, so i ordered a new one :)
I will return when i get it in a few days..

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:00 am

kbisgaard wrote:
jbeale wrote:

Time delay 5000, Raw no

Opacity 255
Camera component done
Encoder component done
Starting capture 1
Finished capture 1
Closing down
Yes that is exactly what happens.. And the file i written, but it dosn't contain anything!

I have tried both a 750mA and a 1A power supply.. Still not working..
Stopping at that points indicates that the camera is being detected (via the I2C communications), but when asked to transmit frames, nothing is arriving at the ISP. That could be power.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

kbisgaard

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:03 pm

Time delay 5000, Raw no

Opacity 255
Camera component done
Encoder component done
Starting capture 1
Finished capture 1
Closing down
Stopping at that points indicates that the camera is being detected (via the I2C communications), but when asked to transmit frames, nothing is arriving at the ISP. That could be power.
Hi again.. Now i got my new 2A powersupply from RS-online.. The problem remains the same!
I get the exact same message like you when i run the command except mine stops at "starting capture 1".
I now have 3 cameras with the same error. Does this mean, that it's time to try another RPI?

jamesh

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:22 pm

Hmm. Possibly. Do you know anyone else with a Pi you can try the cameras on?
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

kbisgaard

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:06 pm

jamesh wrote:Hmm. Possibly. Do you know anyone else with a Pi you can try the cameras on?
Unfortunately not :/ So maybe it's the only option.

kbisgaard

Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:05 pm

Hello folks..
I just wanted to let you know, that i just recieved my new Raspberry Pi, and now all three of my PiCams are working as a charm :)
So apparently the problem was somewhere in my Pi..
Thanks for your replies!

lukasz

Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:36 pm

lucky you - 3 working cameras ;) i've got only one - broken as described above
now it's time to investigate what's wrong with your first raspberry pi as it seems that it is a quite common problem with the cameras these days
I wonder if it is a faulty part of boards or just a coincidence that all of us have broken our own raspberies exactly the same way...

just for the records - what is the version of your "broken" board?

jamesh

Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:59 pm

lukasz wrote:lucky you - 3 working cameras ;) i've got only one - broken as described above
now it's time to investigate what's wrong with your first raspberry pi as it seems that it is a quite common problem with the cameras these days
I wonder if it is a faulty part of boards or just a coincidence that all of us have broken our own raspberies exactly the same way...

just for the records - what is the version of your "broken" board?
Depends on your definition of common. 20k approx camera boards sold, 1.8M Raspi's about 20 people that I see with problems that might be the Raspi rather than the camera. Not common in the slightest.

I'm currently writing and testing the camera board software on Raspi #000000000000001, which is practically preproduction, so I am not expecting an issue with board revision. More than likely a manufacturing defect on the boards not picked up when they are tested, once all other possibilities are excluded (power supply, bad connections, out of date software, ESD shock killing the camera)

lukasz

Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:24 pm

of course you're right
don't get me wrong - what i meant was a quite common on camera forum last days(exactly the same behaviour of the "broken" camera modules or pie)
I still think it's one of the best computers in the world :D - that's why I would really like to keep my first pi running instead of exchanging it for a new one - so I really look forward to fix it or to find a solution for this particular issue.

poing

Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:17 pm

I have 2 model B's where the oldest one worked fine with the camera. The cable that I received with it had a sharp knack in it and at one point, after adjusting the camera slightly, suddenly the red light on the camera stayed on and no images on the card.

I now tested the board more seriously (everything the same except the board) and indeed it doesn't work with the camera while my other boards (B and A's) work just fine with the same power supply, SD card and camera. I'm pretty sure the cable caused a short. Everything but the camera seems to work fine on the board.

Sure hope the camera is not any longer dispatched in that flimsy cardboard box.

jamesh

Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:47 pm

lukasz wrote:of course you're right
don't get me wrong - what i meant was a quite common on camera forum last days(exactly the same behaviour of the "broken" camera modules or pie)
I still think it's one of the best computers in the world :D - that's why I would really like to keep my first pi running instead of exchanging it for a new one - so I really look forward to fix it or to find a solution for this particular issue.
I think that now we have decent searches that result in posts on how to get the carma going, the only remaining issues will be those ones, so as a percentage this sort of issues will now become the most common.

gash44

Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:13 pm

I've just spent two weeks banging my head against the same error.

The problem turned out to be the small rectangular pad (labelled "SUNNY"), which was a little bit loose. Make sure you've grounded yourself to avoid static damage to the camera, then push it into place - this tab is actually a rectangular plug that fits into a socket underneath.

jamesh

Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:38 pm

gash44 wrote:I've just spent two weeks banging my head against the same error.

The problem turned out to be the small rectangular pad (labelled "SUNNY"), which was a little bit loose. Make sure you've grounded yourself to avoid static damage to the camera, then push it into place - this tab is actually a rectangular plug that fits into a socket underneath.
No use to you now, but this has been mentioned a considerable number of times on this forum, and is referenced in the documentation that goes with the camera source code. So I'd be interested to know if there is anything we need to do to make the fix for this issue more visible.

jbeale

Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:51 pm

gash44 wrote:I've just spent two weeks banging my head against the same error.

Maybe we need to increase the visibility of RPi Camera Module Troubleshooting somehow.

gash44

Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:03 pm

Thanks for your replies. I had looked at quite a few websites and forums, via Google searches but hadn't come across this loose connector as an issue.

I guess my searches were software biassed - I could have been subconsciously blocking out any reference to hardware issues :-(

Return to “Camera board”