tonyhughes

Post your live webcams using CSI camera board

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:10 am

Readers please note: Various cams may come and go, as cam owners tinker and muck around, and camera feeds come and go.

P.S.
If the only thing stopping you posting a cam feed is no way to host it, contact me, and I'll give you an ftp login to host your cam images.
Last edited by tonyhughes on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

tonyhughes

Re: Post your live webcams using CSI camera board

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:11 am

My Raspberry Pi CSI Camera Board webcam, located in the middle of Havelock North Village, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand.

Click on the image below for a larger version...

I simply use raspistill specified with an image size, and use Imagemagicks 'convert' command to add the text overlay. It is 4 lines of code including the upload to the server via scp.
Cron runs it once a minute, but the script itself runs the routines twice, with a ~30sec gap (i.e. image should update approx every 30 seconds or so, which is TOTAL overkill for a webcam of a long distance landscape).

My cam has been unreliable due to using an older WiFi dongle with poor compatibility - works out of the box with Raspbian, but keeps dying. I have just replaced it with a known reliable unit!

(Scratch that, same problems. Have moved camera into another room where I have an ethernet port.).

(Scratch that, back in the room with the nice view, using the WiFi again, but a different Pi this time).
Last edited by tonyhughes on Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:19 am, edited 6 times in total.

tonyhughes

Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:32 am

Bump!

C'mon! Surely heaps of you are running webcams - even if it's just of your workbench!

Intersection

Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:30 am

I simply use raspistill specified with an 800x600 image size, and use Imagemagicks 'convert' command to add the text overlay. It is 4 lines of code including the upload to the server via scp.
Post your code and I'll have two cameras online real quick ;) I got as far as automating the timelapse and haven't had time to sort out the scp part. And there's the slight problem that after my autostart capture script runs raspistill in timelapse mode I can't ever get it to stop so I can't ever access the pictures without unplugging the camera but that's a minor detail that ftp will fix :)

We will be installing a lot of these as soon as we get them stable and tested.

Tim

tonyhughes

Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:17 am

Here's the commands for taking a jpg pic at 800px by 600px and scp'ing over to a web server. Note I use sshpass which is a super bad idea, unless you mitigate against the problems it creates (SSH keys are much better!).

Code: Select all

#! /bin/bash
raspistill -o ~/photos/webcam.jpg -w 800 -h 600
sshpass -p 'secretpassword' scp ~/photos/webcam.jpg username@192.168.xxx.xxx:/var/www/webcam.jpg

mark79

Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:14 pm

i've set up a live time-lapse webcam that takes one photo per minute. it's been running since i got my pi camera board back on may 15th. when i was on the road during the summer, i had the camera pointing up out the top of my camper or on the windshield of my truck -- it was only uploading one image per hour at the time, depending on my connection. right now it's pointing at various spots around the house. i've coded several modes on my website to view a grid or time-lapse of the older images [only one per hour will be displayed past a week or so]. you can see the camera at:

http://markmarano.com/live-time-lapse-w ... pi-camera/

kaos

Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:53 pm

Here is mine: http://kari.wifi.is:8081

--
Best regards, Kári.

Intersection

Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:17 am

Thanks Tony.

After some help with the upload part since I'm sending to a windows server and that caused all sorts of misery I got it running. Uploads once a minute and gets archived on our server. I wrapped the timelapse in our standard timelapse archive player.
I'll leave up all next week while I'm out of town, we'll see if the Pi keeps going and the lava lamp doesn't burn down my office...

http://phenocam.anu.edu.au/lavacam.html

lenkf

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:11 pm

Still waiting for Rpi camera equip to arrive in mail, but I have a usb webcam watching my backyard aviary. Seems like the rpi camera will take some fiddling to put on a network according to various sources. As of 20130903 my usb aviarycam (budgies and wild seed-eaters) in Southern California is up at

http://208.127.177.81:8081/
(tested at local McDonalds, on 24hrs/day until fall rains begin, off occasionally for maintenance)

Its a Microsoft LifeCam HD3000. The only other peripheral plugged into the rpi is the wireless dongle, a Realtek RTL8188CUS. The ps is a small 1 amp 5v item i got from a reputable US Rpi seller. This handles the dongle and the camera ok but i suspect, based on occasional image problems in the heat of the afternoon, it might be on the weak side. I'm using the very easy to use Motion application to provide both video (avi) and web presence. Currently setup for a 800x448 image every 4 seconds (nice for motion event reviews), and 1 frame per second web display. CPU is 50-75% busy when viewed over the network by one client.

Netscape is apparently the only browser that handles the mjpeg video. Sadly, I've experienced Netscape 23.0.1 (and iceweasel) has a memory leak that will crash a computer after a while so I only show 180 frames at a time (c. 3 mins) to prevent crashing my computers.

More when i get the rpi-cam going on the net.

fred

unwohlpol

Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:02 pm

Here's my weathercam:

http://www.ungutknut.at/webkem/out1.jpg

Overlays and resize made with imagemagick (the weatherdata comes from a vantage pro weatherstation - at the moment their server is down; so the data might be not up to date).

You can compare it to a 800€ mobotix weathercam from a similar position (but with an wideangle lens - i also equipped the raspicam with such a lens for some time; but the outdoor-housing is too small)

http://www.ungutknut.at/webkem/out.jpg

As you can see - if you can see anything at all (the raspi cam runs not very stable - still have no clue why) - the raspi cam has troubles with white balance when there are darker clouds in visible range.

BTW: The Mobotix Cam also runs on a 700/800MHz 256MB Linux PC and has almost the same max. resolution (I have decreased it for both cams). Image quality is also compareable - except the WB problems.

Return to “Camera board”