Mettauk

When & How much Camera module and Android OS

Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:14 pm

When I heard on this web site that Android 4 was coming to the Pi AND an HD camera module was also coming I ordered my first Pi. By the end of the year (2012) I expected the camera module. By then I also thought Android would be working as the foundation was saying/hinting on this site five months ago that it was well on the way!

Perfect I thought, this all fits the project i had in mind and I will learn a little (or a lot) along the way so I bought one 512mb Pi.

Having tinkered with my Pi for the last month or so, i've struggled to get it to do very much at all. Mainly because drivers for hardware acceleration of webcams is non existent. The camera module, what module, how much and when?

If the Pi is an educational device rather than a "hobby" device why is a large chunk of functionality locked away from novice users like me. (hardware acceleration)

So three questions...
1/ When to expect and how much will the camera module be? A revised estimate will do!
2/ When will webcams etc be able to use hardware acceleration?
3/ When will a touch screen solution (with hardware integration) be available - drivers etc?
As humans we have been the same for a very very long time, technology changes how we do... not who we are as people.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: When & How much Camera module and Android OS

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:49 pm

1) Q12013, we hope. Not sure on price, I think about $25.
2) Well, they could use it now if someone is kind enough to write the software. You already have access via OpenMAX to the HW encoders. The main problems is the USB needs some tweaking to make it reliable with webcams.
3) No idea. We haven't started on that one yet.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:01 pm

hardware acceleration is mainly a driver issue which is not something the foundation deals with. Hardware accelerated X for example so far has only been done by a member of the community not the foundation.

Android I believe there are license issues.

ghans

Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:01 am

I thought the Android guys were making progress ?
Sadly i wouldn't even know where to help ..

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “Camera board”