algorithm

ENOSPC error but plenty space

Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:29 pm

I just did a fresh install of Raspbian Lite on a 8 GB card, updated, installed some stuff (ffmpeg and imagemagick from the repo, some utilities of my own) and now I have still 5.3 GB free (checked via df -h). I also tried "dd if=/dev/urandom of=test.bin bs=1M count=1000" and broke it off when I became impatient, size of the new file was 422 MB. So files can be written. Camera is set up via raspi-config and "vcgencmd get_camera" gives supported=1,detected=1. This is on a Zero W without the hardware error: "vcgencmd otp_dump | grep ^30" gives 30:009000c1. Then as a last resort because the error text suggested checking for firmware updates, I did rpi-update. But still every time I try raspistill -o test.jpg, I get

Code: Select all

mmal: mmal_vc_component_enable: failed to enable component: ENOSPC
mmal: camera component couldn't be enabled
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component
mmal: Failed to run camera app. Please check for firmware updates
raspistill version info: commit 7cbfbd38d982 Tainted (error was the same with the stock raspistill after dist-upgrade but I didn't check that version number, sorry).

Any ideas?

B.Goode

Re: ENOSPC error but plenty space

Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:12 pm

The Raspberry Pi Foundation documentation for the Camera Module, including Troubleshooting, is here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /camera.md

The No Space error you are encountering is almost certainly NOT referring to 'disc' space.

algorithm

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:07 am

I tried to preempt an "rtfm" answer by providing all the info but apparently I failed :) I said I used raspi-config to set up the camera, so yeah, config.txt has gpu_mem=128. The only option the troubleshooting page leaves me is: your hardware is broken.

Which is strange because, like I said, vcgencmd get_camera does say supported=1,detected=1. So why the specific ENOSPC error, which doesn't seem hardware related, for a hardware fault?

Anyway, I'm back home with several other Pis and cameras to swap with, and eliminate possible failure modes. Maybe it is a hardware fault ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:32 am

When and where was the module bought?
See viewtopic.php?f=43&t=239893 as there have been a batch that are incorrectly programmed and would exhibit this failure mode.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

algorithm

Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:57 pm

I bought it a fair while ago (some years), it has worked before, so I don't think it's that. I guess it could be fried by 24/7/365 use as a webcam..., but I thought the error was strange in combination with supported/detected=1, suggesting to me it wasn't the hardware. Haven't had a chance to swap with other Pi/camera yet, sorry.
Last edited by algorithm on Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamesh

Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:47 pm

algorithm wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:57 pm
I bought it a fair while ago (some years), it has worked before, so I don't think it's that. I guess it could be fried by 24/7/365 use as a webcam..., but I thought the error was strange in combination with supported/detected=1, suggesting to me it wasn't the hardware. Haven't had a change to swap with other Pi/camera yet, sorry.
Unplug both ends fo the ribbon cable and reseat, then the tiny plug connecting the sensor to the camera PCB, and reseat. Might just be a digy connection.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “Camera board”