jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

New AWB algorithm in test firmware

Wed May 29, 2019 1:13 pm

Hello all,

As part of our transition to the brave new 3D world of KMS, we are moving the AWB algorithm off the quad processors. These quads are used by the new 3D driver from ARM space, and allowing the camera AWB (firmware space) to use them as well is not very efficient for either party.

So, we now have a baysian statistical AWB algorithm that runs entirely on the VPU. This can be tested out by running `sudo rpi-update' which will update your firmware to the latest test version.

We would be grateful if people could try out this new AWB algorithm. There will be some differences, but it should match up fairly closely with the existing version. If you find a major difference we would be very interested in seeing comparison images, preferably in RAW format. (e.g. raspistill --raw option)

You can easily switch between AWB algorithms as follows:

Code: Select all

vcdbg set awb_mode [0|1]".  0 for old algorithm, 1 for our new algorithm. Defaults to our new one.
Thanks all.

Camera Team.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

jamesh

Re: New AWB algorithm in test firmware

Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:17 pm

Bring this to top again as its important and have had no comments so far!! Which I pressume is a good thing!
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

bensimmo

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:12 pm

I've not use the camera much, but do have the v1 of both types
Unfortunately I can't send them back up in the rocket for a while,.so will have to be normal testing.

I'm assuming if I use picamera python module, it'll just work?

jamesh

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:44 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:12 pm
I've not use the camera much, but do have the v1 of both types
Unfortunately I can't send them back up in the rocket for a while,.so will have to be normal testing.

I'm assuming if I use picamera python module, it'll just work?
Its all in the firmware, so yes, it should just work. Or at least, that's the plan!

ddahms

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:45 pm

I gave it a try. I have a v1 camera. On a sunny midday scene, I see no difference between mode 0 and 1. On a dusk scene, mode 0 has an overall reddish tint like it always did while mode 1 is less reddish, which is an improvement.

There is one minor side effect: in mode 1, the version of Raspistill that I compiled to incorporate a custom lens shading table by following this post hangs. It creates the empty temp output file with the tilde suffix and hangs.

Return to “Camera board”