Martyparty

Downloading VLC for streaming camera

Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:15 am

I want to live stream from my Raspberry Pi, and I'm trying to download VLC in the terminal, by writing

sudo apt-get install vlc, but its unable to fetch some archives. How can i solve this problem?

And is VLC-player the best to stream in? Does anyone have any example codes to control the camera?

Thank you so much for any answers

topguy

Re: Downloading VLC for streaming camera

Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:49 pm

Which camera ? What do you mean by "control the camera" ?

Did you do "sudo apt update" and "sudo apt upgrade" first ?

Martyparty

Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:19 pm

This is the camera i bought "Camera Module Board 5MP Wide Angle Video Cam 1080p 720p for Raspberry Pi",
yes I have tried both the update and upgrade. Could a problem be that my internet was not working on the raspberry?

fruitoftheloom

Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:25 pm

Martyparty wrote:This is the camera i bought "Camera Module Board 5MP Wide Angle Video Cam 1080p 720p for Raspberry Pi",
yes I have tried both the update and upgrade. Could a problem be that my internet was not working on the raspberry?
Yes you need an active internet connection to update / install packages.

Please can you post a URL link to what Camera you purchased !
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

Martyparty

Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:28 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Martyparty wrote:This is the camera i bought "Camera Module Board 5MP Wide Angle Video Cam 1080p 720p for Raspberry Pi",
Yes you need an active internet connection to update / install packages.

Please can you post a URL link to what Camera you purchased !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Camera-Modu ... Swll1W0ILq

This is the camera

Martyparty

Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:09 pm

I found out that there was a problem with the internet connection, so that's why I could not install vlc. Now I have managed, and I tried entering this code

raspivid -o - -t 0 -n | cvlc -vvv stream:///dev/stdin --sout '#rtp{sdp=rtsp://:8554/}' :demux=h264

which I found at this page http://www.raspberry-projects.com/pi/pi ... vlc-player. I get several debugs, and two errors:
"PulseAudio server connection failure: Connection refused" and "Invalid PCR value in ES_OUT_SET_(GROUP_)PCR !"

Is this a problem? Or should the live stream still work?
Not sure how to view the RTSP stream?
Where should I write this code " rtsp://###.###.###.###:8554/ " With my Raspberry pi IP address.

Is it necessary to download more libraries? And how do I do this?

topguy

Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:16 pm

> Where should I write this code " rtsp://###.###.###.###:8554/ " With my Raspberry pi IP address.

In a VLC running on another computer for example.

Martyparty

Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:30 pm

When trying to run "raspivid -o - -t 0 -hf -w 800 -h 400 -fps 24 |cvlc -vvv stream:///dev/stdin --sout '#standard{access=http,mux=ts,dst=:8160}' :demux=h264" I also get these messeges:

core stream error: cannot pre fill buffer
core input warning: cannot create a stream_t from access

What does it mean? And is it critical?

shuckle

Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:52 pm

What is your vlc version?
vlc -v

Just asking since I only got streaming working with 2.0.3. I can't get it work with 2.2.4, but of course it may work if done properly.

ElEscalador

Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:55 pm

topguy wrote:> Where should I write this code " rtsp://###.###.###.###:8554/ " With my Raspberry pi IP address.

That geos in vlc player under network connection. Although I just learned that if you just want to remotely see your camera you can see the preview/camera output easily just with realvnc connect - Knowing that trick sooner would have saved me hours of banging my head trying to get streaming happening...in the new realvnc connect, somewhere under troubleshooting is an option to enable the "experimental something framebuffer video layers something something." Anyway..find it, check it, then start raspivid with the tags "-t 0" (which means turn on forever) "-o -" (which means save no file...unless you want to save video, I just use mine to see where my robot is) and whatever size and window location tags you want. Then the preview is just there on your client machine.
My Autonomous Robot Project and a few of my other projects below.

https://lloydbrombach.wordpress.com/

linux_author

Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:59 pm

i have a little RPi zero, assigned 192.168.1.2 running:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/raspivid -o - -t 0 -hf -w 640 -h 360 -fps 25 | /usr/bin/cvlc -vvv stream:///dev/stdin --sout '#rtp{sdp=rtsp://:8554}' :demux=h264
on my Macbook Air, running OS X, i use this URL in firefox:

rtsp://192.168.1.2:8554/

it launches vlc automagically for me... alternatively, i can launch vlc, click File->Open Network and type in the above URL... this also works under Ubuntu, IOS, etc.

hope this helps!

willie
on the streaming Gulf of Mexico

Martyparty

Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:03 pm

shuckle wrote:What is your vlc version?
vlc -v

Just asking since I only got streaming working with 2.0.3. I can't get it work with 2.2.4, but of course it may work if done properly.
I see, yes I have the 2.2.4 version on my mac

Martyparty

Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:15 pm

linux_author wrote:i have a little RPi zero, assigned 192.168.1.2 running:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/raspivid -o - -t 0 -hf -w 640 -h 360 -fps 25 | /usr/bin/cvlc -vvv stream:///dev/stdin --sout '#rtp{sdp=rtsp://:8554}' :demux=h264
on my Macbook Air, running OS X, i use this URL in firefox:

rtsp://192.168.1.2:8554/

it launches vlc automagically for me... alternatively, i can launch vlc, click File->Open Network and type in the above URL... this also works under Ubuntu, IOS, etc.

Could not open this, should I have seen your camera?

hope this helps!

willie
on the streaming Gulf of Mexico

Martyparty

Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:00 pm

Thank you so much everyone! Now I managed to live stream to my computer. I am just wondering if anyone knows of something to do to minimize the delay?

And is there anyone who has any ideas on how I can turn it on and off, when I'm going to control the raspberry with a servomotor on my vehicle. Is there a way you can control that over vlc or something?

calleblyh

Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:17 pm

ElEscalador wrote:
topguy wrote:> Where should I write this code " rtsp://###.###.###.###:8554/ " With my Raspberry pi IP address.

That geos in vlc player under network connection. Although I just learned that if you just want to remotely see your camera you can see the preview/camera output easily just with realvnc connect - Knowing that trick sooner would have saved me hours of banging my head trying to get streaming happening...in the new realvnc connect, somewhere under troubleshooting is an option to enable the "experimental something framebuffer video layers something something." Anyway..find it, check it, then start raspivid with the tags "-t 0" (which means turn on forever) "-o -" (which means save no file...unless you want to save video, I just use mine to see where my robot is) and whatever size and window location tags you want. Then the preview is just there on your client machine.
Thank you very much for mentioning VNC CONNECT, for my application streaming video from a birdbox over Wifi is up til now the best solution and with very low latency. Works with RPi3 and RPi0.

Return to “Camera board”