ChromeBlue

Pi camera power

Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:41 pm

Is the camera powered on at all times or only when called upon?

The reason I ask is that I want to add a night camera to my chicken "RoboCoop.". Problem is that chickens see IR light. The illumination I would use would be the built in LEDs on a 3rd party NoIR cam. If the cam is always powered then the chickens will be kept away by the light even though nobody is using the video nor stills being taken.
I just want to be able to take a still and send it via email when the door has automatically opened or closed by the program.
The door has failed in the past to open or close and I just want photo evidence that it has actually opened or closed and all birds accounted for when closed.
Frito: Yah I know this place pretty good, I went to law school here.

Pvt. Joe Bowers: In Costco?
----------
From Idiocracy - funniest/scariest move ever.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Pi camera power

Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:14 pm

The 3.3V power up the ribbon cable is permanently applied.
On the genuine Pi camera modules, the voltage regulators for the sensor itself are controlled by a GPIO up a different line on the ribbon.

The decisions a 3rd party has made in cloning the device is a question for them to answer.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

underwhelmd

Re: Pi camera power

Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:04 pm

I just received one of these third party noir cams with the IR lights yesterday. The lights are on when the camera is active, otherwise not.

I quickly removed those lights due to heat concerns. I would advise against using those particular lights (which attach to the third party cam) in an enclosed area with anything flammable nearby. It sounds like you know what you are doing, so wiring up an external IR flash wouldn't be that much of a deal.

As a low light sensor, the camera isn't anything to write home about either but I wanted to try that model sensor in comparison to the latest. V2 genuine Noir is a much better sensor in low light.

Return to “Camera board”