kkjkearney

Transitioning to the new camera

Fri May 20, 2016 2:52 pm

Love the new V2 camera, many thanks for your hard work. White balance is much better, but I'm trying to figure out how to make the use of the higher resolution in my microscope application.

The PiCamera documentation (https://picamera.readthedocs.io/en/rele ... 0/fov.html) did a great job of explaining the FoV, resolution and different modes. When I just "drop in" the new camera, I find the FoV is wider. I had to experiment with modes and resolutions to achieve the same FoV.

Is there documentation available to help me understand which mode should use to ensure I get max resolution?

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Transitioning to the new camera

Fri May 20, 2016 3:11 pm

waveform80's been busy - http://picamera.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fov.html is the provisional docs for Picamera 1.11 and includes the new resolution information.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=145815#p960789 also lists out all the modes and any cropping performed.

You do need to have updated to the 16th May Raspbian release to get that mode list - the initial support had the modes in a different order, and was missing the 1640x922 full FOV binned mode.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

kkjkearney

Re: Transitioning to the new camera

Fri May 20, 2016 4:22 pm

Boy, the change in lens aspect between V1 and V2 sure confused matters. I was hoping for more resolution in the existing FoV, but it seems I've got effectively the same resolution, or maybe even less? Not sure.

I'm finding that to get the same image results with the V2 camera, I have to crop the image. It's like attaching a macro lens and then doing a digital zoom. Not ideal for my application. If I'm thinking about this wrong, please correct me.

However, the improvements in white balance is worth the upgrade for me. On the V1 camera, users were noting that the colors were inaccurate and V2 is much better.

Return to “Camera board”