Mettauk

New Zero camera connector

Mon May 16, 2016 10:18 pm

The new "fine-pitch" camera connector ribbon cable for the Zero is the same price as the zero computer for a short cable! Anyone know if longer lengths are possible and available at a more reasonable price?

What is the actual cable called or is it specific to the foundation?
As humans we have been the same for a very very long time, technology changes how we do... not who we are as people.

gregeric

Re: New Zero camera connector

Mon May 16, 2016 10:23 pm

Think of it as £8 for the new camera-capable Zero, versus £4 for the old Zero (price still £4 if you don't use the camera with a Rev1.3).

A price well worth paying.

Mettauk

Mon May 16, 2016 10:56 pm

gregeric wrote:Think of it as £8 for the new camera-capable Zero, ...
With respect I was not asking how I should think, I was just wondering as many will about longer lengths for the camera on a zero and the technical name in order to search beyond pi trading.
As humans we have been the same for a very very long time, technology changes how we do... not who we are as people.

jbeale

Mon May 16, 2016 11:23 pm

Longer lengths possible: I am sure yes; we have already seen demonstrations of 3 meters using cables extending the camera v1 board.

Available elsewhere: not yet, this was a custom part for this specific project. Nothing beyond straight-through 1:1 flex cables are considered stock items. If you want to search, look for FFC (flat flex cable) or FPC (flexible printed circuit).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexible_flat_cable

But if there's a significant market for longer and/or cheaper product, I expect it will be filled, just as the various China-sourced ebay vendors have provided v1-compatible camera alternatives after the market potential was shown. I suspect the length of the official cables has more to do with passing FCC/CE EMC testing than usability. Wares from ebay are not so limited :-)

Mettauk

Tue May 17, 2016 12:00 am

Thank you.

I have used up to 90cm with the old style ribbon and 3m+ with the hdmi converter at each end, so maybe I can use a standard "fine pitch" ribbon when they arrive at one end with hdmi conversion!

Gavinmc42

Tue May 17, 2016 1:41 am

Shorter, 60mm?
Install a Zero and camera in a box and you have to fold the cable 3 times.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

gordon77

Tue May 17, 2016 3:21 am

It seems interesting they used a 22 way connector when they could presumably have used less? Anything on the extra pins?

gregeric

Tue May 17, 2016 8:41 am

Mettauk wrote:With respect I was not asking how I should think, I was just wondering as many will about longer lengths for the camera on a zero and the technical name in order to search beyond pi trading.
Sorry, guess I was replying to the wrong thread.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue May 17, 2016 9:12 am

gordon77 wrote:It seems interesting they used a 22 way connector when they could presumably have used less? Anything on the extra pins?
It's the same connector as the Compute Module I/O board. The reason for the different connector there was that it allows bringing out all 4 CSI lanes that are available on one of the 2 CSI interfaces of BCM283x.
See https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... PUBLIC.zip for schematics of the CMIO and therefore the pinout of the 22pin connector. Whether they have brought out all 4 lanes on Pi Zero 1.3 I don't know. Only 2 are used by either the OV5647 or IMX219 camera modules so there would be limited gain in doing so. There's also the minor question of what to do with 4Gbit/s of bandwidth on a 1GHz ARM1176 - it's a lot of data!
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

startrek.steve

Tue May 17, 2016 9:29 am

Does anyone know if the new Zero will fit in the old cases ok?
I've have a Taritec case
Pi 2 running LibreElec Krypton, Pi 2 running Wheezy Desktop, Pi 1 headless Wheezy, downloading Radio, Pi 1 running Picore headless Media Server, Pi Zero to be an Old Time Radio Project. Pi 3 testing. Pi Zero W downloading Radio shows headless.

mikerr

Tue May 17, 2016 9:49 am

The compute module kit comes with a convertor that works with the pi zero

That has the full sized connector on one end, so can be used for longer lengths.

It's available in the compute module kit (£36.29 at RS)
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor ... s/8134164/

but although its available on it own, its not cheap : (£14.99)
http://uk.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/rpi- ... BN-2433318
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

imadaily

Wed May 18, 2016 12:18 pm

I'd like to look into how much it'd cost to get some shorter and longer cables produced to link the Zero and Camera module
The original cable is ~0.15mm thick and ~0.32mm at the connector on the 15pin camera board connector.

From photos of the new cable, it looks like the 22 pin FPC Connector is a bit thicker
If possible, could someone with the new camera cable measure the thickness of the end that goes into the Pi Zero?

jamesh

Wed May 18, 2016 1:49 pm

imadaily wrote:I'd like to look into how much it'd cost to get some shorter and longer cables produced to link the Zero and Camera module
The original cable is ~0.15mm thick and ~0.32mm at the connector on the 15pin camera board connector.

From photos of the new cable, it looks like the 22 pin FPC Connector is a bit thicker
If possible, could someone with the new camera cable measure the thickness of the end that goes into the Pi Zero?
My guess is that after you have factored in your time to design a cable, the cost will be in the same areas as just buying off the shelf, certainly until you have sold quite a few.

Might be enough of a market to make a few pence.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

imadaily

Wed May 18, 2016 5:24 pm

I'm not looking to reduce the cost, I am looking for a short cable ~4-5cm (and I know there are other people who want shorter/longer cables than the single size currently available)

As the cables are custom made, the only way for different lengths of cables to exist is for someone to make them.
Unless Raspberry Pi are planning on releasing some other cable lengths in the near future (would be useful to get some info if they are) in which case I will just wait.

Return to “Camera board”