CaptSunset

Has anybody tried this to extend Pi Cameras?

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:10 pm

I know about using the dual Cat5 cables, but I just stumbled across an old round D-sub 25 parallel 10' cable that used to run a laser printer. 25 tiny discrete wires already broken out to gridded pins in a very flexible cable a bit smaller than the average pencil.

Also, my cable is old enough that the connector covers aren't molded on, they are snap-on.

Then I remembered that there were also DS 15 cables, which last I saw were being used for DVI-D monitors & such and were up to 15' (4.5 meters) long.

These are so obsolete that they may have been trashed already, but if you can find'em they should be seriously cheap.

So... before I cut mine up, is there any obvious reason these cables wouldn't work out as Pi extension cords?

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Has anybody tried this to extend Pi Cameras?

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:24 pm

The CSI connection as set up on the Pi has 3 differential pairs which ideally should be twisted pairs for interference reasons (not very practical on flexis or PCB tracks). If you look at the flex pinout, you'll also see there's a ground between each pair to minimise crosstalk.
HDMI is a good match as the signals there are very similar in characteristic to CSI and individually screened pairs can be connected up appropriately. DVI-D is nigh identical to HDMI so could potentially be used. A printer cable has next to no hope as it doesn't have individual screening or twisted pairs.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

CaptSunset

Re: Has anybody tried this to extend Pi Cameras?

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:39 pm

Thanks much 6x9, guess I'll go e-dumpster-diving for those DVI cables.
Repurposing's my middle name :lol:

Return to “Camera board”