NorbertH

RPi cam disturbs WLAN dongle?

Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:13 pm

Hi there,

my WLAN connection via Edimax dongle gets unstable whenever the camera gets activated by motion software. Response times on the ssh shell are bad and often the WLAN connection totally breaks down.

This happens on two different RPis, two different camera boards and two different power supplies (>1000mA).

When I attach the WLAN dongle remote from RPi and camera board on a (powered) hub, WLAN connection is stable as a rock.

Has someone ever observed this behaviour?

Cheers,
Norbert

poing

Re: RPi cam disturbs WLAN dongle?

Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:38 pm

I have used the camera board extensively with a Ralink WiFi dongle plugged in but never had any issues.

jbeale

Re: RPi cam disturbs WLAN dongle?

Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:43 pm

If you are using the 'motion' program, the camera is actually running all the time to generate the input to the algorithm. When some movement is detected, normally stills or video files are saved to the SD card/USB drive, or sent via network. My guess is that you have a marginal wifi connection which is reliable at slow speeds (keyboard input, listing files) but breaks down when transferring large amounts of data (stills and/or video). I have experienced exactly this with some wifi connections to the Pi. Solution was to change wifi module types, or use wired ethernet.

Return to “Camera board”