jubjub2398

SPACE

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:17 pm

So I just received my raspberry pi for Christmas. Ive been playing around with it a little, but the ultimate goal is to build a functioning satellite out of it. I would like to be able to take pictures with the raspberry pi and send them back to earth using sstv. Without even talking about permits, licenses and the rocket, what would I need to build a working satellite?
Thank you for any responses.

jimallyn

Re: SPACE

Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:03 pm

Amateur radio operators (hams) have built and deployed many satellites. You might check these websites:

http://amsat-uk.org

http://www.amsat.org
“So you say you love the poor? Name them.” - Gustavo Gutierrez

jubjub2398

Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:17 pm

Thank you for the quick response! But I am hoping to build this satellite out of a raspberry pi as the core.. And I was wondering if anyone knew how to control the raspberry pi through radio and just how to use radio with it in general. I'm relatively new to this.

So like possible addons?
Os required?

jimallyn

Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:50 am

I suggested you visit AMSAT because they have put over 70 satellites into orbit, beginning in 1961, and continuing to this day. They have a lot of experience with amateur built satellites, and you could probably learn a lot from them. For example, most satellites use radiation-hardened processors, because the radiation they are exposed to in space can disrupt the operation of computers.
“So you say you love the poor? Name them.” - Gustavo Gutierrez

jubjub2398

Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:52 am

Thank you, that actually is most likely going to be very useful.

experix

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:29 pm

I know that space probes use electronic parts that have tougher specs for radiation vulnerability. How is the pi in this regard? Is it an issue near earth (within the Van Allen belts)? How about farther out?

Ravenous

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:36 pm

experix wrote:I know that space probes use electronic parts that have tougher specs for radiation vulnerability. How is the pi in this regard? Is it an issue near earth (within the Van Allen belts)? How about farther out?
We've discussed this a few times, and I'm beginning to think it doesn't really matter.

You're right, the Van Allen belts mean stuff in a low earth orbit doesn't get as much heavy radiation as further orbits do.

And someone even built a satellite based on a mobile phone - some time last year. That seemed to work. Also the astronauts on the ISS, for their daily work, use normal laptops or tablets and don't seem to have trouble. (The more crucial electronics for the station itself are probably more robust.)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:42 pm

SpaceX use fairly standard parts but use multiple redundancy to get the reliability.

Proper Rad hardened stuff is v.expensive.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

DougieLawson

Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:51 pm

experix wrote:I know that space probes use electronic parts that have tougher specs for radiation vulnerability. How is the pi in this regard? Is it an issue near earth (within the Van Allen belts)? How about farther out?
We'll find out soon enough when the Astro-Pi (A NASA certified Raspberry Pi B+) flies on the ISS.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/astro-pi/
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=104
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

jamesh

Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:42 pm

Although they won't be using the Pi for anything mission critical - however it is being thoroughly tested for EMC - they don't want it to interfere with anything!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “Other projects”