cdotsot

A question about business use

Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:58 pm

Hello,

I work in a company where we use computers for basic business operations like running Tally ERP, MS Office and some browsing. We have over 200 employees and computers play a big part in our day-to-day activities and I've been reading a lot about the Raspberry Pi 2 over the last few days and I think it'll be perfect for use for our company.
I just have some questions about it. Can I use it for the things I mentioned? I read it runs windows and that will be perfect for us too. Will it work like a regular computer when it comes to using those applications? Where can I buy it? What happens in case a product has a problem? One of the components break down?

A reply will be really appreciated.

If i'm posting in the wrong forum, i apologize, please tell me where I should post it and I'll delete it and post it there.

Thank you guys! :)

ame

Re: A question about business use

Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:51 pm

It does not run Windows.

It will run some software that is useful to you, such as LibreOffice and a web browser.

If it breaks, buy a new one.

If you are interested, buy one and play with it. You will learn a lot about its capabilities, and you can ask more specific questions.

jimallyn

Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:13 pm

The Raspberry Pi probably won't be of much use to your company for the things you mentioned. I couldn't find anything on the Tally website that suggest they have a Linux version, and even if they did, they probably would not have a version compiled for the ARM processor the Pi uses. MS Office will not currently run on the Pi, but it might when Windows 10 is released - Microsoft is planning a version of Windows 10 specifically for the Raspberry Pi. In the meantime, you could run LibreOffice or OpenOffice on the Pi. There are several web browsers available for the Raspberry Pi, so that will not be a problem. You should be able to find plenty of places on the web to buy a Raspberry Pi. I got mine from MCM Electronics. I bought a starter kit which includes a power supply, case, wifi dongle, and a few other items. If I remember correctly, the starter kit cost me 55 or 60 dollars. Well worth it. You should probably buy the RPi 2, as it has a faster processor and more memory than the Version 1 models. The Pi is cheap enough that you could just buy one to play with and see if it will meet your needs; they're only 35 bucks. If it won't work for you, well, you're only out 35 bucks. In the U.S., the Pi has a one year warranty.
“So you say you love the poor? Name them.” - Gustavo Gutierrez

BMS Doug

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:18 pm

jimallyn wrote: MS Office will not currently run on the Pi, but it might when Windows 10 is released - Microsoft is planning a version of Windows 10 specifically for the Raspberry Pi.
It's extremely unlikely to run MS Office when windows 10 comes to the pi, it's not going to be a desktop type OS, its going to be designed for internet of things connectivity.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

jimallyn

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:39 pm

Doug, that's why I italicized might. There are currently people using LibreOffice on the Pi, so maybe Microsoft Office will run on the Pi. Surely there will be people who try it.

Lamenralus

Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:17 pm

At our company, we have kiosks that are used to display and navigate the local company intranet. We are using laptops connected to tvs and a mouse at the moment but are looking into using RPI2 to replace the laptops. We just need them to run a simple web browser.

Could your company benefit from something similar?

DougieLawson

Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:39 pm

jimallyn wrote:Doug, that's why I italicized might. There are currently people using LibreOffice on the Pi, so maybe Microsoft Office will run on the Pi. Surely there will be people who try it.
There's more chance of an asteroid destroying all life on Earth than Microsoft Office running on a Pi.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

HiroProtagonist

Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:48 pm

jimallyn wrote:Doug, that's why I italicized might. There are currently people using LibreOffice on the Pi, so maybe Microsoft Office will run on the Pi. Surely there will be people who try it.
Keep in mind that the Pi runs a completely different processor to your x86 based desktop PC, and therefore any Windows software must be compiled for the Pi in order to run.

So if M$ choose not to release Office for the Pi platform, all the trying in the world won't get anyone anywhere.

jimallyn

Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:54 pm

Microsoft has already released Office for ARM processors. You guys don't get out much, do you? While I consider it a waste of time to do so, I suspect someone will get Office running on an RPi2, if not now, then when there is a version of Windows for RPi. If it can be done, the geeks will do it.

Return to “Other projects”